It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR 1361
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:07 pm 

I think the plan for the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is to place their K4 (plus certain other engines) under cover once their new addition is built.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:03 pm 

The "other" K4s was inside for a time. Yes, she is indeed schedule to go in the roundhouse with the Atlantic, Mountain, etc.

Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:30 pm 

Not to steal the thread, but isn't 4800 "Rivets" in the restoration shop at the moment?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm 

Having heard nothing, no rumors, no hearsay, nothing from Mr. Levin, Moorman, or any of the parties involved since the original "announcement" was made - I'm not buying that this is still happening anymore. For there to be that much excitement in the original announcement and the grand plans, then to have zero updates in the months since...no progress made public whatsoever...At this point, the skeptic in me says this is no longer going down.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 pm 

PRR GG-1 No. 4800 is not in the restoration shop, and probably won't be there for some years to come. The shop is fully occupied at this time with PRR B-6sb No. 1670, preparing it for media blasting the next few weeks, as well as restoring a Jersey Central crossing watchman's shanty.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:03 am 

Which do you think will be finished first, the 1361 or the roundhouse at PRM?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:32 pm 

I certainly hope BigJim is wrong with his assessment, but the naysayer in me is now considering his thought.
Would certainly love to hear a firm plan of action though, as most that have followed the story have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done.
A large pile of dollar bills, and a great amount of assembly work

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:35 pm 

Quote:
"For there to be that much excitement in the original announcement and the grand plans, then to have zero updates in the months since...no progress made public whatsoever..."

It was my understanding that work was continuing intentionally 'under the radar' to avoid further consternation. I would not be surprised if neither Mr. Moorman nor Mr. Levin wanted to upset that strategy with further 'publicity' far in advance of actual work ... or decisions on boiler strategy, for example.

I have no real reason to think that 1361 is either in danger of being lost, or remaining essentially a heap of rusty parts in several places, indefinitely. Absence of a PR campaign will not change my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:38 am 

Here's my two cents. I haven't kept up with the K4 saga other than the mess it has been and I can only take Mr. Moorman and Mr. Levin's interest seriously. I believe that most of the steam contractors and contract boiler shops that know locomotive boilers have very full plates with current work in progress and the personnel they have available to do that work. From what I read, and on the internet it must be true right?, two very large projects should wrap up next year and I would imagine that at that time IF 1361 doesn't get moving, so to speak, then maybe you can begin to pontificate it's future. The '61 isn't going anywhere and just be patient because at this point that is all anyone can do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:27 am 

Folks, all I'm at liberty to tell you is that the project is very much alive and well and moving forward. Remember there's a lot more to this than turning wrenches. The additional good news is that the clowns at the ARRM who totally botched the previous attempt at restoration have NOTHING to do with the renewed effort.

You'll see announcements when appropriate.

Thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
co614 wrote:
Folks, all I'm at liberty to tell you is that the project is very much alive and well and moving forward. Remember there's a lot more to this than turning wrenches. The additional good news is that the clowns at the ARRM who totally botched the previous attempt at restoration have NOTHING to do with the renewed effort.

You'll see announcements when appropriate.

Please have them appoint someone to make announcements that is professional enough not to call past museum administrators and restorationists "clowns."

Those are the kind of tactics that derail otherwise well-intentioned efforts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:23 pm 

Trust me, for what they did " clowns " is an overly polite label.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:50 pm 

co614 wrote:
Folks, all I'm at liberty to tell you is that the project is very much alive and well and moving forward.

Ross, what exactly is your position / involvement in the project that puts you in the know?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:54 pm 

Kelly, It's classified TOP SECRET so I'm afraid I can't divulge. There's lots of constructive planning work taking place behind the scenes. When the physical work commences it will be done professionally throughout.

Patience is a virtue. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:35 pm 

Am I correct in stating that Strasburg is the only modern shop to successfully bring a belpaire into FRA compliance? It would be nice if Levin and Moorman keep the work in Pennsylvania.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next