It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR "Truc-Train" Trailers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 pm 

Looking into an PRR trailer in Greenville, PA for my organization I was very curious as to what other "Truc-Train" trailers still lie with us today. For those unfamiliar with these trailers they are special inter-modal containers ordered by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1955 for its piggyback operations between New York and Chicago. Most of them were cut from the roster when the Pennsy folded into the Penn Central and sold into private storage. As I'm currently aware only two of these trailers survive across the northeast. If anyone has knowledge of other units I'd encourage them to add to the list. If I'm mistaken with some of my prior information please do correct me.

Cameron

Post subject: Re: PRR "Truc-Train" Trailers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hi Cameron,

Seeing your post yesterday actually got me to register for an account here. I have casually followed RYPN for several years but for some reason had never joined. To reply to your post - there is actually a Truc-Train trailer (PRRZ 202084) sitting in a salvage yard in Enid, OK. I have wanted to stop in to see it for awhile and was finally able to do so yesterday. It was raining when I stopped in and decided to use my I-Phone to grab a few photos for you. The photos aren't to my normal standard but they will do given the weather.

The trailer itself is in fair shape considering its location but is missing quite a few things. The box is sitting on its frame rails - the axles, dolly assembly, side door, etc. are missing. There is corrosion along the lower sill where the side sheets meet and some slight damage to the roof that had been patched. The interior decking is missing in spots as well. Still a neat find where one would least expect it. I was able to get some photos of the model and SN for you as well if you are wanting to track that - see pics below...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
Looking into an PRR trailer in Greenville, PA for my organization I was very curious as to what other "Truc-Train" trailers still lie with us today. For those unfamiliar with these trailers they are special inter-modal containers ordered by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1955 for its piggyback operations between New York and Chicago. Most of them were cut from the roster when the Pennsy folded into the Penn Central and sold into private storage. As I'm currently aware only two of these trailers survive across the northeast. If anyone has knowledge of other units I'd encourage them to add to the list. If I'm mistaken with some of my prior information please do correct me.

Cameron

Cameron -

Be interesting to see how many other "Truc-Train" trailers might still be around. We have one of the original Pennsylvania F30D class piggyback flat cars (see photo) at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum. We have a Railway Express Agency trailer that we have talked about putting up on PRR #475403, but a genuine "Truc-Train" trailer would be a more historically accurate vehicle.

Les

Attachments:
Late October 2018 weekend 015.JPG
Late October 2018 weekend 015.JPG [ 285.96 KiB | Viewed 4116 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:36 pm 

Definitely worth preserving, imho.

While we are on this general subject: what's the interest in a Southern Railway counterpart, with the billboard 'Southern Intermodal' lettering on it, from a decade or so later? There is one in a railroad yard here that was moved when extensive renovations and cleanup were made, and is now parked in storage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm 

Cameron -

Not sure exactly what type early "Truc-Train" trailer you may be referring to. Here is a photo taken in 1954 with an early trailer mounted on one of the first class F30D flat cars converted to piggyback operations:

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightp ... G&fr=clF30

You mention trailers from 1955, so perhaps you are referring to a slightly different trailer type.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Cameron -

Not sure exactly what type early "Truc-Train" trailer you may be referring to. Here is a photo taken in 1954 with an early trailer mounted on one of the first class F30D flat cars converted to piggyback operations:

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightp ... G&fr=clF30

You mention trailers from 1955, so perhaps you are referring to a slightly different trailer type.

Les

I'm specifically referring to the later series Fruehauf trailers that came in the spring of 1955. I happen to be aware of only one PRR local delivery trailer surviving at Gerhart's Machinery in Lititz, PA. So far I have been informed of now 9 Fruehauf trailers in existence. Two in Pennsylvania, two in Illinois, two in Ohio, one in Indiana, one in Oklahoma and another in North Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:58 pm 

Cameron, does the trailer in Greenville still have its original service tires? If so can you take some clear pix of the sidewalls, including any 'intermodal' markings there, and the treads, and post them here?

See discussion on specialty tires for older intermodal service going on over on the Trains Magazine forums...