It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does owing a steam engine help make a railroad successfu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:46 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
The GCRY fell out of favor with me after they changed hands a couple of times and steam stopped being the main focus in favor of the more modern streamliner appearance. I seem to remember the original intention of GCRY was to restore and operate 4 ex LS&I locomotives after their failed attempt at ordering 4 Chinese steam locomotives due to political unrest over in China.

If the GCRY really wanted Chinese steam, there are a couple of QJ class locomotives in Iowa not doing much.

I think there are also an underutilized QJ in the Roger Corman organization.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
I realize if 3460 were to operate on the GCRY she would need diesel assistance from the old Alco units.

Still not helping your case, sir. The Alcos haven't been used in a decade or so that I know of. Ex-Amtrak (and now a NJ Transit) F40PH's.

Quote:
The GCRY fell out of favor with me after they changed hands a couple of times

Only once that I know of--when the Biegerts sold the RR to Xanterra.

Quote:
I seem to remember the original intention of GCRY was to restore and operate 4 ex LS&I locomotives after their failed attempt at ordering 4 Chinese steam locomotives due to political unrest over in China.

According to the sources I have here, the Biegerts were attempting to repatriate American-built steam still operating in China in 1989, not order new steam.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 pm 

I said I don't keep up with GCRY. Last I knew they had those old Via Rail FPA4 units. I was only aware of two F40PH units.

The China steam info I have is from a 30 minute TV program so thanks for the details.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:37 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
I realize if 3460 were to operate on the GCRY she would need diesel assistance from the old Alco units.

Still not helping your case, sir. The Alcos haven't been used in a decade or so that I know of. Ex-Amtrak (and now a NJ Transit) F40PH's.

They were used on the regular canyon train during the Pete Lerro charter in 2017.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:46 pm 

hamster wrote:
Jeeps wrote:
So if the C&TSRR went diesel and the D&SNGRR stayed steam which railroad would the public or rail fans choose to ride? Both have beautiful scenery, both have authentic comparable steam power. I’ve traveled on both numerous times and found both to have some excellent points. I would ride the Steam railroad and not the other railroad.

I have an answer to this question. I have ridden both the C&TS and the D&SNG and can tell you that the two railroads are as different as night and day. On the Silverton, the scenery has always been the pull. For well over 100 years it has been world famous for WHERE it is, not WHAT it is. The scenery would continue to be the pull if the railroad dieselized tomorrow. Those of us in the RR heritage community would go completely bug-f***, but the RR would survive on its scenic fame.

The C&TS, on the other hand is all about the railroad and railroading. Yes, the scenery is great, but it has a much more "railroady" feel to it that just screams STEAM. This is borne out by the fact that they still run photo freights and double headers. The management willingly and regularly do stuff that celebrates the railroad's freight heritage. And this requires steam. Take the steam away from the C&TS and it would whither away pretty fast. IMHO!

If Durango went to diesels 100% I'm sure they would survive based on scenery and their location. However, I'm willing to bet that they would lose some of their ridership to Cumbres and Toltec.

Ed Ellis seemed to give up on steam with his Colorado line after a season or two... not sure how his numbers changed when they dropped steam.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:11 pm 

hamster wrote:
WVNorthern wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
The GCRY fell out of favor with me after they changed hands a couple of times and steam stopped being the main focus in favor of the more modern streamliner appearance. I seem to remember the original intention of GCRY was to restore and operate 4 ex LS&I locomotives after their failed attempt at ordering 4 Chinese steam locomotives due to political unrest over in China.

If the GCRY really wanted Chinese steam, there are a couple of QJ class locomotives in Iowa not doing much.

This Freudian slip is really on the nose.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:59 am 

jcmarksbury wrote:
hamster wrote:

This Freudian slip is really on the nose.

Well, Roger Corman did make Boxcar Bertha.