It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stretching her legs 63 years later
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:02 pm 

I found out the answer over on TO. Not sure why it seems to be such a secret but unless what I read is wrong it's going to the Roots of Motive Power where they have a 1/2 mile of track to run on. Again.. seems a shame she can't show off on the line in Oregon, I would love to just take a nice ride behind her. But I understand the owner gets to decide obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I found out the answer over on TO. Not sure why it seems to be such a secret but unless what I read is wrong it's going to the Roots of Motive Power where they have a 1/2 mile of track to run on. Again.. seems a shame she can't show off on the line in Oregon, I would love to just take a nice ride behind her. But I understand the owner gets to decide obviously.

If things were to fall right someday, that isolated museum trackage in Willits could possibly span a small creek and acquire a connection with the former NWP right within yard limits. This would give the group a choice of either trying to extend operation North to the old siding of Longvale, a distance of approx. 13 miles. Pretty flat, steel bridges and at least one tunnel. The other direction South to Ukiah , would be about 25 miles with a steep grade out of town.

Just musing here, but I can't help but think that this has already been quietly thought about in the past by some of those that are heavily involved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am 

Agreed, what a shame and waste to be locked to a 1/2 mile loop. Looking at a map, that museum seems very land locked with buildings surrounding it. Might be quite hard to get a connection to the NWP.

You'd think if you spent that much on it, you'd want to see it be somewhere where it could actually run and pull tourist trains etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 am 

No one mentioned California Western

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 am 

The railroad, via a FB post, says Skookum is "out and about".

Attachments:
out and about.jpg
out and about.jpg [ 92.41 KiB | Viewed 7697 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:45 am 

Great news!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:24 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
Great news!

Indeed it is!! Sounds like they got that bent steel fixed already!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:49 pm 

And apparently Why metal got bent and How it was fixed and corrected will remain a secret?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:15 pm 

David Dewey wrote:
And apparently Why metal got bent and How it was fixed and corrected will remain a secret?

From the Trains Newswire story today (currently not behind a paywall):

"Parts that had been bent on the low pressure engineer side were straightened, machined, and re-installed. Then the engine was towed in the yard to make sure all running gear parts were moving freely. Then a fire was lit and Skookum’s boiler brought up to working pressure of 200 psi.

Team Skookum diagnosed the problems suffered by Skookum’s low pressure engine as a timing issue that actually originating in the high pressure engine valve train. Once this was corrected with new keys made to set the high pressure eccentrics and installed, the bind in the low pressure mechanism went away, and Skookum was ready to be tested."

For the full article, click here: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... s-resolved

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

Maybe somebody smarter than I am can explain how having the rear high pressure engine's valve gear out of whack cause the front engine's valve jam and turn the valve gear into a pretzel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:54 pm 

Most low pressure steam engine cylinders are designed for about 60-80 PSI if I remember my triple expansion steam engine setups right. The middle cylinder of those was low pressure the 3rd was very low pressure. Well you hit a cylinder designed for 80 PSI with a full shot of 200 PSI steam when it expands to try and condense back into water and things are going to break and bend. The back cylinders where exhausting to soon feeding higher than expected pressure steam into the front cylinders and things got bent. It would be like shoving a turbo from a C15 Cat OTR engine onto a VETC Honda 2 liter. Things are going to shatter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 pm 

ironeagle2006 wrote:
Most low pressure steam engine cylinders are designed for about 60-80 PSI if I remember my triple expansion steam engine setups right. The middle cylinder of those was low pressure the 3rd was very low pressure. Well you hit a cylinder designed for 80 PSI with a full shot of 200 PSI steam when it expands to try and condense back into water and things are going to break and bend. The back cylinders where exhausting to soon feeding higher than expected pressure steam into the front cylinders and things got bent. It would be like shoving a turbo from a C15 Cat OTR engine onto a VETC Honda 2 liter. Things are going to shatter.

i.e. too much pressure on the slide valve, causing it to seize, and then the momentum of the wheelset bending the return crank and link motion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:01 pm 

It's Facebook video, but I think you should be able to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/martin.hansen. ... 8845774357

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:56 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
ironeagle2006 wrote:

i.e. too much pressure on the slide valve, causing it to seize, and then the momentum of the wheelset bending the return crank and link motion.

With all due respect, bull pucky! The LP cylinders of a mallet locomotive are not mechanically tied to the high pressure ones like a marine engine's are. If you introduce too much pressure into the LP cylinders of a mallet, the front drivers spin on the rail, and dissipate the excess pressure. Also don't forget that the slide valves are most likely balanced, and therefore less affected by pressure increases.

The answer lies elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:24 am 

I’m glad people took notice to the silly “explanation” of why the valve gear got all bent out of shape.......
Further showing they are not willing to admit and explain what in all really happened.

I’m more curious as to how exactly the parts were repaired. From a few people that were at the charter I’m told the parts were bent more then once.......curious as to their integrity now if they decided to try to repair again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next