It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for F7 or F9 B unit
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:48 am 

Following up on the thread about the former NS F's being sold to Cresson Steel and then to various owners, does anyone know of any other remaining F7 or F9 B units that may be available? From info posted on that thread, I called NRE to inquire about the CPR 1018 F9 B unit and they say it is in poor shape and will be scrapped because it's "not suitable for resale". This B unit does not have to be operational but a preference would be to be complete mechanically if possible. However, would consider one that is been stripped to some degree.

Post subject: Re: Looking for F7 or F9 B unit
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am 

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear NRE plans to scrap the 1018. What a shame. Those units have survived for almost 20 years at NRE. I wonder if they would be willing to let it go for static display if enough pressure was put on them? NRE also has former CN F7A 9168. I fear that anyone else besides a big class 1 RR will be able to do little if anything at all to persuade NRE to part with either of those units intact.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 pm 

Suspect that NRE would indeed let it go for 'static display' if someone were to sign an Amtrak-like confirmation waiver that no part of the F unit would be used for operating purposes ever again.

But NRE would likely also be concerned with whatever arrangements were made to get the unit ready for transport and then off their property 'at no more risk to them than scrapping would pose'. Are there organizations that care about the unit's preservation, or that want it enough, to produce the detailed plan and the financing for that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:15 pm 

There was a C&NW F7B at Gateway Rail for sale a while back, lacked alignment control couplers - which is probably the same issue with the NRE unit.

CD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 pm 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
There was a C&NW F7B at Gateway Rail for sale a while back, lacked alignment control couplers - which is probably the same issue with the NRE unit.

CD

http://www.gatewayrailservices.com/inve ... sales.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

NCDOT has a former CNW F7b converted to HEP car. They have not used it for anything. It just sits in Raleigh NC.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 am 

PMC wrote:
CREEPING DEATH wrote:

CD

http://www.gatewayrailservices.com/inve ... sales.html

I wasn't aware they'd put the inventory list back up, but it looks like the 'more info' links are dead.

CD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:58 pm 

I'd say if Topfuel is serious about a F7B for display maybe the NRE CPR unit would be a good fit if it could be bought for static display only under an Amtrak style waiver that no part of it will ever run again in service of any kind. At least it would be safe from scrapping.

I believe CNW 315 was actually either scrapped or went to Mexico? That listing is very old and not been updated for a long time. I could be wrong though. Haven't had much luck with the CNW 315 on current info.

The CNW F7B 4086 was located in Star NC on the AWCR. This is the unit NC DOT once owned I believe. [urlhttp://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=778939][/url]

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 pm 

Was there one at ITM?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 pm 

The milw F units owned by ITM at last report now belong to ITM/MTO. Anyone want to guess what is going on with that deal?

Illinois Railway Museum has former (Milwaukee Road) F7B 96B and F7A 104C. Both are in rough shape at last count. The pics are 2003 ish. http://www.trainweb.org/chris/museumb.html

Western Pacific Railroad Museum at Portola has a former CN F7B complete and at last report just needed new batteries. Doubt they would part with it though.

Aside from NRE and CPR 1018 and CN A unit 9168 there is not too many available covered wagons.

Just for the record there are two former Metra E8 A units sitting at NRE alongside CPR 1018 if she ain't razor blades yet. (I hope not.)

All three F9B units from Erie mining went to scrap a couple years ago in the dead of winter because of bad wheels and a lack of interest in saving them.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:20 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:

Western Pacific Railroad Museum at Portola has a former CN F7B complete and at last report just needed new batteries. Doubt they would part with it though.

F9B technically.

There should still be a Bessemer and Lake Erie F7B 716B I'm Schellville, CA, as long as an A unit. Reporting marks are BUGX which I believe are now Matt Monson.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 pm 

Topfuel wrote:
Following up on the thread about the former NS F's being sold to Cresson Steel and then to various owners, does anyone know of any other remaining F7 or F9 B units that may be available? From info posted on that thread, I called NRE to inquire about the CPR 1018 F9 B unit and they say it is in poor shape and will be scrapped because it's "not suitable for resale". This B unit does not have to be operational but a preference would be to be complete mechanically if possible. However, would consider one that is been stripped to some degree.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =858139899

They were still there a week or so ago but who knows how much longer:

Attachments:
IRM 20181026 064 (1280x960).jpg
IRM 20181026 064 (1280x960).jpg [ 286.72 KiB | Viewed 6740 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:25 am 

Topfuel wrote:
Following up on the thread about the former NS F's being sold to Cresson Steel and then to various owners, does anyone know of any other remaining F7 or F9 B units that may be available?

Some of Ontario Northland's power cars may have been made surplus when the Northlander was cancelled in 2012, they were originally F7B's:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/663456/