It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lowly gon gets Marks attention at Hoosier Valley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:03 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Why do museums always have ti change things? I'll refer to the edit I made to my message of October 10th:

ON EDIT:
I just received word from the modeling community that the max gross weight on rail for cars with 5-1/2 X 10 bearings was indeed raised to 177,000 pounds in 1962, and the cars could be marked with a 110,000 pound nominal capacity, although I'm not sure that this was a requirement. So, if backdating the era of the re-weigh and repack dates, don't go back before 1962 or the data stencils will be incorrect.

By backdating the reweigh date to 1956, the weight data now becomes incorrect.

Additional EDIT:
Are you sure the station symbol for the reweigh is FR? I have information that the symbol for Frankfort, Indiana on the NKP was FRA.

Dennis -

Concerning the letters FR, I had commented to one of our members who is also a member (and officer) of the Nickel Plate Road Historical-Technical Society and he told me that FR does stand for Frankfort, Indiana. He also said that the symbols FN and FRA also signified Frankfort but he didn't know why or how it was determined, which set to use.

As for the FR 8-56 reweigh stencil, if you will look close at the very first photo in this thread of the deteriorating lettering on NKP 45622, you will see that the lettering read NEW, with the built date. That always struck me as ambiguous as the car certainly appeared to have been serviced sometime since its original built date. I didn't know that Mark was going to use a 1956 reweigh date on the car, but am glad he did. It seems to me to be more authentic. And it also brings an historic Indiana railroad location into a bit of the museums history. Perhaps the other numbers are no longer correct, but I can live with it. Hopefully the visitors to Hoosier Valley will be able to too.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 pm 

Mark's photo of the stencil work (WLE LESSOR) he added today.

Les

Attachments:
WLE info to NKP 45622 Oct 29 2018.JPG
WLE info to NKP 45622 Oct 29 2018.JPG [ 297.73 KiB | Viewed 2186 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 pm 

Mark Knebel finished the work on NKP 45622 and the gon was pulled out of the Shop today. The results are shown in the photo below.

Les

Attachments:
Nice November day at HVRM 11-3-18 001.JPG
Nice November day at HVRM 11-3-18 001.JPG [ 348.03 KiB | Viewed 2081 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 pm 

A FINE collection of rolling stock, and some very nice freight cars! How about a photo of the N&W hopper?

Howard P.