It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Modern Equipment for "Scenic" Train Rides
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 pm 

Dave wrote:
I certainly wouldn't want heavyweights replicated as heavyweights - I would want the nice clerestory roofs and appearance of century old equipment, but why would I want to have to pay to haul around hundreds of tons of deadweight for the same number of butts in seats paying the bills? Looks like heavyweights but aren't actually heavy would be better, if one wants to cover the costs of building replicas of course.

Something like this, built in 2017 by Niigata Transis, perhaps?
This is part of a five-car train set built to replace the ageing lightweight coaches that have travelled behind 4-6-2 No. C571 for 40 years since her return to service in 1978.
They are designed and built specifically to be lighter, air-conditioned replicas of pre-war riveted steel construction coaches which I believe would fit the US definition of "heavyweight" construction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm 

Very nice, but we'd need to do something to make the trucks and undercarriage not look modern...…. and the sort of blocky ends might need adjustment as well. Concept exactly right, but execution probably needs to be adapted to a more local style as indicated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 am 

I don't know if this style of construction would work, but let us recall that David Kloke built a replica of the Lincoln Funeral Car that will eventually go into some sort of service at the Star Barn, along with his Leviathan--and he's supposed to be building at least two more coaches.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/201 ... 140419344/

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150214/NEWS/150219664

Of note is the internal metal framework, and the use of plywood (which can be surprisingly strong when used in a type of stressed skin construction.

In regard to the cars from Japan's Niigata Transys to accompany a steam locomotive, the biggest visual change would be better trucks.

Amtrak's Viewliner II cars use something that looks mostly traditional, apparently made by GSC:

https://www.deviantart.com/metrotren/ar ... -627761444