It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interurban Freight Trailer in Marshall, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm 

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this. This appears to be an old interurban freight or baggage trailer, and it currently sitting in someone's backyard southeast of Marshall, Michigan. It is located at 42.25915, -84.89557. This photo was taken from the road.

Last edited by NS 3322 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Inteurban Freight Trailer in Marshall, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:39 pm 

Really? I'm amazed it is still around. Back in the seventies when I was helping Norman move Michigan Electric 28, we looked at a Michigan Electric freight trailer in Marshall. The spotting feature was the steel roof with a higher arch than the CERA design. I'm not talking about the barn siding bent over the roof; look at the end where the original roof is visible. Sorry, I don't recall if we ever determined the number.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:23 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:

It appears I misspelled "Interurban" in the title, can someone fix that?

NS 3322 -

You can correct the title by going to the original entry and clicking on the EDIT "thingee" at the bottom of the entry and then simply inserting the "r" in the proper location to make the word read Interurban. I'm fairly certain that you're the only one that can correct the title.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:

It appears I misspelled "Interurban" in the title, can someone fix that?

NS 3322 -

You can correct the title by going to the original entry and clicking on the EDIT "thingee" at the bottom of the entry and then simply inserting the "r" in the proper location to make the word read Interurban. I'm fairly certain that you're the only one that can correct the title.

Les

Thanks! I was overthinking that!

Post subject: Re: Interurban Freight Trailer in Marshall, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:33 pm 

NS 3322 -

Thanks for the thread title correction. Also, nice discovery and photo of the Michigan Electric trailer near Marshall. I wonder if the "Lost Railway Museum" folks in Grass Lake know about its existence? Seems as if it would make a nice companion piece to their recently restored ME #29. Of course, I'm not sure if such a trailer would have ever been used with an interurban such as Michigan Electric 29 in regular service.

Kes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:49 am 

Probably not very significant to the town of Grass Lake, since I doubt they ever needed more than the baggage compartments for the volume of package freight on the branch.

Michigan electric had some powerful box motors, I recall being told they essentially had the same motors and control as a Baldwin-Westinghouse class B locomotive. I believe one of these, number 202, went on to become the work car "OX" on the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit, and is now preserved somewhere.

One side activity to making preparations to move the 28 was interviewing some old motormen from the line; one told of motoring freight trains with five and six trailers on the Southern Division between Kalamazoo and Jackson.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:58 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Michigan electric had some powerful box motors, I recall being told they essentially had the same motors and control as a Baldwin-Westinghouse class B locomotive. I believe one of these, number 202, went on to become the work car "OX" on the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit, and is now preserved somewhere.

That somewhere would be the Northern Ohio Railway Museum on Buffham Rd., Chippawa Lake, Seville, Ohio.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm 

Thanks, The last I knew it was in the Brookins collection and I didn't know where it went from there.