It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New York Preservation Emergency
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 pm 

Hello forum members,
I normally wouldn't ever come here with such a favor but I am currently dealing with a very serious preservation emergency.
Some of you might be familiar with my negotiations regarding Albany Port District #1, the rare Midwestern 45 tonner. I have been told today that the owner has changed their mind (once they realized the value of it) and is looking to have the historic locomotive scrapped by next spring unless funds can be raked within the next few weeks.
I would generously ask our local preservation institutions to consider getting involved in the matter if they do wish to preserve New York's oldest surviving diesel locomotive. The asking price is at scrap value and the fairgrounds plans on having a scrapper bid soon. Please send me a PM if your organization can provide funds we do not have a lot time left!

Sincerely,

Cameron

Last edited by Cameron Wolk on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New York Preservation Emergency
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The classic, to-be-expected generic questions we ask of any such appeal:

What is its current condition? Any hope of operation?

Where do you or whoever plan to take this loco once it's acquired? Has moving costs been added to the needed costs? Is the new home a willing and eager participant in this effort?

Is there anything specific about this specific loco that warrants its rescue and preservation? Would it be more appropriate at another location or home closer to its history?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:47 pm 

Previous thread on the topic: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42257

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm 

This is the prior thread on this locomotive (and its state of peril):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42257

The backstory is that the locomotive was set to be rescued and repurposed by a well-known and respected rail-preservation organization with negotiations with the Fairgrounds well underway. However, that organization has since determined that the locomotive is not suitable for their needs, and can not accept responsibility for the locomotive's disposition. Meanwhile, the Fairgrounds is negotiating removal by scraping.

Please do not contact the Fairgrounds directly; instead, please allow Cameron to vet any and all interested offers.

The locomotive is likely the only remaining example of one built by Midwest Locomotive Works. Internal combustion locomotives built before the end of WWII are also very rare in their own right.

What is its current condition? Any hope of operation?
Poor condition. Only a cosmetic restoration would be likely, unless repowered.

Where do you or whoever plan to take this loco once it's acquired? Has moving costs been added to the needed costs? Is the new home a willing and eager participant in this effort?
All TBD. I do not believe Cameron himself is trying to save the locomotive; only to let the preservation community be aware of its imminent scrapping.

Is there anything specific about this specific loco that warrants its rescue and preservation? Would it be more appropriate at another location or home closer to its history?
Yes, see above. I would submit that it would be home at any general railroad museum who does not have an example of a pre-WWII internal combustion locomotive in its collection. It would also be appropriate preserved anywhere near Albany, New York, where it operated, or perhaps in Hamilton, OH where it was built.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 am 

For those of you wondering what on earth this thing looks like, a picture of it can be found on NE Rails. Quite the ugly duckling, but as previously stated, one rare bird. http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/fopx0.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

Midwest Locomotive Works built this designed unit at a time when there were many competing ideas for how a locomotive should be designed. Alco had its box cabs with two cabs and a large prime mover. They were also introducing their first high-hood diesels in 1931. Westinghouse had its visibility cab switcher, with a single cab at the end of a carbody containing a large prime mover.

The locomotive that Midwest delivered to the Albany Port Railroad took engines that were close to those being used in gas-electric doodlebugs and placed them on a center cab design. With this design, Midwest was able to offer reduced costs by having a single cab a high degree of mechanical compatibility with the hundreds of doodlebugs that were in service across the nation. It is not surprising that Midwest's only Class 1 railroad customer was the Chicago Burlington & Quincy, which had an aggressive program for using doodlebugs to reduce costs.

Midwest had the misfortune of bringing its locomotives to market amid the Great Depression, which limited their total sales to a handful of units. By the time the Depression waned, GM's Electro-Motive Corporation already debuted its successful and influential SC and SW models.

One other mechanical note: This locomotive also was delivered with Timken roller bearings, which is quite early for any railroad application.

In regards of its relevance to New York: This locomotive spent its entire working life working for various industries in the state. I think there is good opportunity for interpretation here. The locomotive was also equipped with General Electric traction motors and control gear, which were likely manufactured in the state as well.

I found an article in the Engineering News-record from 1931 that discusses the delivery of this locomotive to the Albany Port Railroad:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ltxJAQAAIAAJ&q=%22midwest+locomotive%22+albany&dq=%22midwest+locomotive%22+albany&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidkt2z9OzdAhVnilQKHaexCZsQ6AEIIDAD

I also made an Internet Archive link to the previously linked delivery photo:

https://web.archive.org/web/20181004131904/https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Albany-Port-District-Railroad-Train-1-45T-Engine-Loco-6x4-Photo-X2200S-A-/163154607053?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

I have a question regarding the current preservation effort. Has the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum been contacted? This locomotive would complement their existing collection of industrial locomotives from New York quite well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am 

Thomas Cornillie wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

Midwest Locomotive Works built this designed unit at a time when there were many competing ideas for how a locomotive should be designed. Alco had its box cabs with two cabs and a large prime mover. They were also introducing their first high-hood diesels in 1931. Westinghouse had its visibility cab switcher, with a single cab at the end of a carbody containing a large prime mover.

The locomotive that Midwest delivered to the Albany Port Railroad took engines that were close to those being used in gas-electric doodlebugs and placed them on a center cab design. With this design, Midwest was able to offer reduced costs by having a single cab a high degree of mechanical compatibility with the hundreds of doodlebugs that were in service across the nation. It is not surprising that Midwest's only Class 1 railroad customer was the Chicago Burlington & Quincy, which had an aggressive program for using doodlebugs to reduce costs.

Midwest had the misfortune of bringing its locomotives to market amid the Great Depression, which limited their total sales to a handful of units. By the time the Depression waned, GM's Electro-Motive Corporation already debuted its successful and influential SC and SW models.

One other mechanical note: This locomotive also was delivered with Timken roller bearings, which is quite early for any railroad application.

In regards of its relevance to New York: This locomotive spent its entire working life working for various industries in the state. I think there is good opportunity for interpretation here. The locomotive was also equipped with General Electric traction motors and control gear, which were likely manufactured in the state as well.

I found an article in the Engineering News-record from 1931 that discusses the delivery of this locomotive to the Albany Port Railroad:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ltxJAQAAIAAJ&q=%22midwest+locomotive%22+albany&dq=%22midwest+locomotive%22+albany&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidkt2z9OzdAhVnilQKHaexCZsQ6AEIIDAD

I also made an Internet Archive link to the previously linked delivery photo:

https://web.archive.org/web/20181004131904/https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Albany-Port-District-Railroad-Train-1-45T-Engine-Loco-6x4-Photo-X2200S-A-/163154607053?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

I have a question regarding the current preservation effort. Has the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum been contacted? This locomotive would complement their existing collection of industrial locomotives from New York quite well.

I spoke with Otto yesterday afternoon on the subject. The great problem RGVRRM and others here in New York face is a lack of funds. No organization is willing nor able to take in this locomotive at this time despite its historic value to the state. I'm at a loss right now. Three months ago if you asked this could've gone to a nice museum as a donation and no one said anything then. Now it's as if everyone cares but there's no money to do anything about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:43 am 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
I spoke with Otto yesterday afternoon on the subject. The great problem RGVRRM and others here in New York face is a lack of funds. No organization is willing nor able to take in this locomotive at this time despite its historic value to the state. I'm at a loss right now. Three months ago if you asked this could've gone to a nice museum as a donation and no one said anything then. Now it's as if everyone cares but there's no money to do anything about it.

Conversely, it is unreasonable to expect anyone to offer to support a project without a museum's board taking action authorizing the effort to pursue it. Short of that, there really isn't a place for anyone to send a donation. Truly is it a chicken and egg conundrum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:01 pm 

There is a potential option developing in NY state for this locomotive but while they could provide space, outside crew and funding would be needed. Otto, or someone known in the NY area, is there anyway to put together a local crew of people to help with the move, build panel track at the new location, etc? And of course help with funding?

My email is jrmay@monmouth.com Feel free to shoot me an email if anyone can help in the area.

J.R.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:01 pm 

Thomas Cornillie wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:

Conversely, it is unreasonable to expect anyone to offer to support a project without a museum's board taking action authorizing the effort to pursue it. Short of that, there really isn't a place for anyone to send a donation. Truly is it a chicken and egg conundrum.

Over a dozen organizations have previously reached out to the fairgrounds in the past 4 months however only half appear to have the finances required to purchase and move the locomotive. I recently sent out a message to the Adirondack Scenic it's hoped Mr. Toledo may show some interest. It's not the problem that museum boards are needed to cooperate Thomas but the fact that they need to get their acts together quick enough to respond after they have made their decisions. We just don't have enough time on our side right now and it's hurting the project.

Cameron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 pm 

Scrap price is in the range of 2000-4000 TOPS and hauling it could be done (as shown by some haulers in the ITM mess) for maybe 10k or less. Reading this thread gives me a headache.

WHO wants it? Do we have a specific home?
HOW much do they need? What $ amount is currently being thrown around that will get it done?
Does that place have a plan or just a few square yards of space?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm 

Pegasuspinto, rather than throwing questions out, why not send me an email as I suggested?

Throwing jabs is of no help.

J.R.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Scrap price is in the range of 2000-4000 TOPS and hauling it could be done (as shown by some haulers in the ITM mess) for maybe 10k or less. Reading this thread gives me a headache.

WHO wants it? Do we have a specific home?
HOW much do they need? What $ amount is currently being thrown around that will get it done?
Does that place have a plan or just a few square yards of space?

The fairgrounds is looking for around $2500 to cover costs. Adirondack Scenic and American Industrial Mining Co. will most likely be coming for an inspection next week. This unfortunately being done last minute means we'll have to be quick about it. Both entities can provide a good home, funding and logistics it just all has to come together. I'm praying right now everything works out.

Cameron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:27 am 

Why would the Adirondack Scenic want it? Are they thinking about using it for a shop switcher?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:57 am 

LeoA wrote:
Why would the Adirondack Scenic want it? Are they thinking about using it for a shop switcher?

Who cares? At this point what matters is getting it out of dodge. Even bought time is better than nothing.