It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:37 pm 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New York Preservation Emergency
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm 

As the mistake has been made multiple times in the history of my organization, I will contest the idea that throwing money at it just to stave off the scrapper by a couple of years is not worth the potential investment. If nothing happens to the locomotive and x amount of money and time was spent, was it really worth it in the end?

Our group has done this a couple of times with two "doodlebugs", a few wood coaches, a full set of 40 ton lifting jacks, and most recently, a steamer that was part of our collection years back, joining us again in worse condition than before. We've thrown cubic dollars (kroner) at all of this with a lot of regret and wasted effort. Contradicting this though, the projects we have completed are of museum quality and operate, rightfully earning their places under cover.

HAVING SAID THIS, I am not doubting those behind the project/last minute attempt. If a reasonable plan is in place with an option for cover and restoration of some sort, then by all means its a worthy investment and project! I for one think the switcher looks quite interesting, and in restored condition would be a fantastic exhibit!

I hope a plan with a future is among the stars, and that we're not just kicking the can further down the road.

Good luck with whats ahead!

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 pm 

ColebrookdaleRailfan wrote:
LeoA wrote:
Why would the Adirondack Scenic want it? Are they thinking about using it for a shop switcher?

Who cares? At this point what matters is getting it out of dodge. Even bought time is better than nothing.

I agree entirely.

I wasn't out to imply anything. I was just curious and a bit surprised since they've stressed before that they're not in the business of preservation (Although the word makes frequent appearances on their site) and past equipment decisions back that up.

I think it's fantastic if they play a role in saving this unique piece. And while I assume this locomotive only has historical value at this point in time, I would love to be surprised otherwise and see it be put to work in some manner by the ASR.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:44 pm 

I guess the ASR did not own the unit scraped. I am suprised that a 501c3 railroad is not operating under the educstion guidline.