It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turntable seen being hauled towards Baltimore 9-20-18
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 am 

I was travelling I-68 yesterday when I saw a turntable being hauled eastbound. I followed it from Cumberland to as far as Frederick, MD. It looked to be around 70 feet and was built by American Bridge Co. in 1916. Any idea where it was from or where it was going?

The semi that was hauling it was Wm. Mason (just like the B&O loco) trucking.

Post subject: Re: turntable seen being hauled towards Baltimore 9-20-18
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:18 am 

Remembered a post I saw on another board a few days ago.

From a 9/19 post on the IlliniRail yahoo group:
Subject: [IlliniRail] Turntable headed south

"Yesterday I saw a semi hauling turntable south on I-39 near Mendota. It could’ve come from anywhere north and headed to who knows where, but does anyone know the story? I’m surprised it wasn’t just cut up on site from wherever it came from."

Don't know any other information but the coincidence of a turntable being trucked anywhere - Mendota is north of I-80 south of Rockford, Rochelle and Union... and way south of Janesville and points north.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am 

I remember reading an article recently on the Strasburg Railroad (can't remember where) but they mentioned future plans and one of them was to place a turntable at Lehman Place Junction so that engines could be correctly oriented when going in either direction. If they did that, I assume they would use the turntable at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania to reverse at the other end. Is this possibly where this turntable is heading?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:56 am 

I believe that this is the CNW turntable that was at IRM and up for sale. I know it has been sold to an organization out east, but I do not know if we are at liberty to discuss who the buyer is. Rest assured that it will be in the hands of a well-known organization.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
WVNorthern wrote:
I remember reading an article recently on the Strasburg Railroad (can't remember where) but they mentioned future plans and one of them was to place a turntable at Lehman Place Junction so that engines could be correctly oriented when going in either direction.

"Leaman Place Junction," not "Lehman."

The Strasburg, as I recall, already has two turntables in reserve, sitting on flatcars on the storage track west of the Museum/terminal, ready to install if they ever get the land/gumption.

As with "frisco1630," I have a pretty good idea where this is going, but really shouldn't say anything yet.

However, who's been spending a lot to get railroad and other historic stuff of late?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 pm 

The Strasburg turntables have been offloaded west of Route 741 along the south side of the track on the right-of-way adjacent to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's Bishop Road site.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:30 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
WVNorthern wrote:
I remember reading an article recently on the Strasburg Railroad (can't remember where) but they mentioned future plans and one of them was to place a turntable at Lehman Place Junction so that engines could be correctly oriented when going in either direction.

"Leaman Place Junction," not "Lehman."

The Strasburg, as I recall, already has two turntables in reserve, sitting on flatcars on the storage track west of the Museum/terminal, ready to install if they ever get the land/gumption.

As with "frisco1630," I have a pretty good idea where this is going, but really shouldn't say anything yet.

However, who's been spending a lot to get railroad and other historic stuff of late?

I would think anything that heavy being hauled by highway from Illinois to South Central PA would want to avoid the really steep grades of I-68, but perhaps the PA Turnpike would not allow it to go over that road. Going to Frederick and up US 15 might be the best alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 pm 

Good evening all,

I'm somewhat baffled by the suggestion this turntable might be going to Strasburg....

Doesn't the Strasburg already have two turntables?

Given the fact this turntable went at least as far as Frederick, perhaps it might be going to either the Walkersville Southern or Steam into History? At one point in time (a long time ago) the Steam into History folks were talking about installing turntables.

Hopefully someone "who knows" might be able to enlighten the masses?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm 

It could also be going to a new "Star" attraction?
(Pure speculation on my part based on Frisco1639's hint.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Given the fact this turntable went at least as far as Frederick, perhaps it might be going to either the Walkersville Southern or Steam into History?

As a volunteer at the Walkersville Southern I can say this is news to me, and probably to everyone else at the WS as well. It might be nice to have a turntable but I know of no place where we'd put it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 pm 

The turntable at the Illinois Ry Museum from 1981 until now was 80 or 85 feet long (sources differ), builder and date unknown to me. It came from Harvard, IL, and was replaced in their plans by the 110 foot long one from the D&RGW they obtained in 2016, becoming surplus and available.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:09 pm 

Good evening folks,

Having thought about this, and then re-reading all the posts to date, I think enough people have probably let the cat of the bag.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

The new "rail" attraction now being developed at the Star Barn Village certainly seemed to be a very possible alternative.

The only reason why I didn't think the turntable was purchased by the new owner of the "Leviathan" was a previous internet report that seemed to indicate that the new proposed operation was intended to be a "loop" operation, not an "out and back". Given they still do not have any coaches or track yet, the acquisition of a turntable seemed like an unnecessary expenditure given what they previously disclosed about their intentions.

However, the owners of the Star Barn Village are clearly developing a serious railroad attraction onsite, so a turntable is certainly within the realm of possibilities. It just seemed like a "premature" acquisition to me.

Just my two cents....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm 

The Harvard CNW turntable is not going to Strasburg or Star Barn Village.

I’m not trying to be coy; I know exactly where it is going, but I don’t want to disclose exactly where as I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do so. Again, it is going east, to a good home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:47 pm 

It went to Wilmington and Western Railroad for installation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm 

Anyone know exactly where it's going? Marshalltown yard? End-of-track at Hockessin?