It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New (Pre-Loved) Diesel Coming to the WMSR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 pm 

Quote:
WMSR probably prefers to have outright ownership of their power and after all the work/money Georges Creek has invested in their WM units I'm sure they're not up for sale plus are needed for their own operation.

I dropped by the GCK a couple of years ago and the only activity was an Alco T-6 working in the paper mill in Luke. The GCK line itself was nearby and needed a lot of brush and trees cleared off of it before it could be operated. I dropped by again about six weeks ago and saw that four of the diesels were clustered near the former depot in Westernport but the line itself showed no indication of any activity, and the brush growth had only grown thicker.

This article from August 2006 said trains would start running in late September or perhaps October.

http://www.times-news.com/trains-in-geo ... 95eee.html

I'm still waiting to see it happen. I hope it does, but it has been a long wait that shows no sign of ending any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:39 pm 

Tim Moriarty wrote:
This article from August 2006 said trains would start running in late September or perhaps October.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry - Robert Burns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 pm 

I hate to burst your guys' bubble about the GCK, but they have started moving revenue freight outside of the Luke Paper Mill. There is a log unloading site about a mile outside Westernport which has received a couple dozen carloads since August. The SD40 and one of the GP9s have been dutifully shuffling freight.

Much better for the line to be running late than never.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
cood101 wrote:
I hate to burst your guys' bubble about the GCK, but they have started moving revenue freight outside of the Luke Paper Mill. There is a log unloading site about a mile outside Westernport which has received a couple dozen carloads since August. The SD40 and one of the GP9s have been dutifully shuffling freight.

That would be the SD40 (an actual former ex-WM loco, not just paint) that's already in WM black and speed lettering.

In addition, another GCK former WM SD40, acquired from CSX a couple tears ago and not yet refurbished or repainted, has been spotted recently (according to Facebook posts) being moved around the Cumberland yard--possibly in preparation for mechanical or cosmetic work?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:39 am 

Tim Moriarty wrote:
Quote:

I'm still waiting to see it happen. I hope it does, but it has been a long wait that shows no sign of ending any time soon.

It's been reported here........

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42370

Tim W.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 am 

Glad to see this finally happening. My visit missed it by just ten days. Had I known ahead of time what was coming, I would have rescheduled my trip.

It will be nice to see the line cleared up to Barton and and the two locomotives there recovered from the surrounding brush for restoration too.