It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Allied Trucks and Safety
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 1999 12:16 am 

A point of clarification is needed with regard to the discussion about use of Allied Full Cushion trucks in interchange service. According to AAR Rule 90, which deals with Cars and/or car parts prohibited in interchange service, the 1998 edition clearly states in Part B, Section 5, Subsection a that Allied Full-Cushion trucks are prohibited. While I appreciate that these trucks may have run many miles since being AAR prohibited they are indeed prohibited from interchange. I also further realize that some might argue that those rules are for the governing of freight cars. My response to that is if the AAR does not think highly enough about the design on freight trains then how can we consider less safety in passenger service?<p>The reason I think it is important to get the right information out is that it only takes 1 incident to hurt safety and credibility. We as a common fraternity can not afford such occurances as happened at Gettysburg due to not living within the letter of the law either Title 49 (FRA) or AAR.<p>I hope that my clarification is not negative with regard to the Troop Train proposal, that is not my intent. I welcome fresh ideas but caution those who farm them to listen as carefully to those who deliver the cons as those give the pros.<p>Randy<p><br>

minterjr@mindspring.com