It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Maine Two-Footer Restored: 0-4-0T at Boothbay
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:42 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

Quote:
S.D.Warren (paper company in Westbrook, Maine) 0-4-0T, Baldwin, 1895, running for 1st time in 60+ years, at at Boothbay Rwy Museum. Photo by Eric Schade

Post subject: Re: Another Maine Two-Footer Restored: 0-4-0T at Boothbay
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:57 am 

Awesome! Boothbay Railroad is a must-see if you are in Maine!
Wasn't this locomotive basically a billboard for the longest time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
Awesome! Boothbay Railroad is a must-see if you are in Maine!
Wasn't this locomotive basically a billboard for the longest time?

If memory serves there's two SD Warren engines there, this is just the one that has been restored. I think the other one is still on static display.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 pm 

There's 2 of them at Boothbay, both went elsewhere after the SD Warren paper mill in Westbrook got rid of their two-foot plant railroad, were converted to be a gas engine (non-steam), then returned to Maine. #1 is currently underneath the canopy at the back of the property, #2 was the billboard then was pulled to be restored. You can still see the chain drive underneath #1.

Public runs will be Labor Day Weekend. This run was for their members and donors picnic last Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:04 pm 

Well done, Boothbay! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:50 pm 

Here's another view of her in action Saturday evening, pulling the first of three passenger trips (two laps each) around the Boothbay Railway Village loop. She looks lovely in Baldwin green, and for such a little engine she has a very satisfying bark climbing the grades there.

Attachment:
File comment: S.D. Warren no. 2 with her first load of passengers Saturday evening
IMGP9206.jpg
IMGP9206.jpg [ 293.46 KiB | Viewed 7393 times ]

Also, for a comparison, here's she is the first time I saw her, doing billboard duty back in 1984.

Attachment:
File comment: S.D. Warren no. 2 under the sign at the entrance to Boothbay Railway Village, July 1984
SDWarren2_1984.jpg
SDWarren2_1984.jpg [ 333.26 KiB | Viewed 7393 times ]

With the return to service of no. 2, sister engine no. 1 now has the distinction of being the only remaining historic Maine two foot gauge steam locomotive that has not steamed in preservation.

Attachment:
File comment: S.D. Warren no. 1 on display, with no. 2 steaming in the background.
IMGP9173.jpg
IMGP9173.jpg [ 337.45 KiB | Viewed 7393 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

So how were these engines motorized? Gear on the rear driver with a small motor in the firebox?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 pm 

A little jewel indeed. . .

I also just took notice of the whistle on No. 2. I declare, it looks almost as big as one of the cylinders! I wonder how much noise it makes, and I wonder if the boiler pressure drops when the engineer blows it!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
So how were these engines motorized? Gear on the rear driver with a small motor in the firebox?

Yes, the firebox was cut away inside the cab and a gasoline motor was installed, with a chain drive to the rear axle. No. 1 has a four-cylinder Ford motor in her, which I recall was exposed when I was there in 1984. It's now covered under a plywood box, but I believe it is still there. The gear and drive chain is visible under the cab. No. 2 had a different engine (but I don't recall what), with the original Johnson bar being used as the shifter! They were converted by the previous owner, a theme park in New Jersey, soon after they were acquired from S.D. Warren. I heard the theme park tried running them on compressed air for a short time before they were motorized.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 pm 

From sometime in the 1890's to around 1910, I believe Baldwin had a fleet of these tiny 0-4-0T engines that were leased to contractors all over the country. They were very inexpensively built, so when one broke down or wore out, they just replaced it with another one. Of course, they were also offered for sale in the Baldwin catalog.

That big whistle on No. 2 looks like a B&M five-chime, as used on several of the Edaville engines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm 

FWIW the trend of accurately painting Baldwins is a delight. Hopefully we will see some more greenies.

Last edited by robertjohndavis on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:56 pm 

She's a cutie pie, alright !!!!

While I can't say what they're using for a whistle, I CAN say that a big hooter will bounce the steam gauge needle on a little bitty boiler like that. When I owned a 30" gauge Forney, the whistle I used was a full sized 3 chime flat top from a Guatemalan 4-4-0. The whistle base has an 1 1/4" schedule 120 male pipe nipple cast onto it, so that it wouldn't bleed all the pressure out of her little boiler, and it worked great for a plantation locomotive. I'm saving it for Coronet Phosphate #6.

VIVA Boothbay #2 !!!!

Sammy King

Last edited by QJdriver on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 pm 

A full sized 6" diameter whistle does not necessarily have to drain a small boiler. The WW&FRy had my replica CNJ three chime steptop whistle on #10 for about 1 1/2 years and even when it was blown full blast, the gauge needle barely moved. I had the person who made/machined the bowl/valve make the steam orifice as small as possible, knowing I was going to put it on a small boiler.

The only problem with a whistle that size is that it is loud and can be annoying to the passengers. The WW&F guys would usually blow it about half way and it sounded a little flat.

On one of the early videos you could hear it beyond sight on a curve and you think a Mikado or Pacific was coming, and then this little lokey poked around the corner. It was totally mind blowing.

Bernie

Last edited by Jersey steam on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:05 am 

Ffestiniog had a Nathan 5 chime on one of their 0-4-0s many years ago when I was there - it was one of their oil conversions, and the fireman and driver were kind enough to share a lot of information about it before blowing the whistle loudly. I couldn't have heard them afterward for a while......... you need some distance to make good use of these things.