It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Allentown & Auburn - Creating a New Tourist Railroad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 pm 

To be frank, I can't help but feel that the stance of "give me a summary or I'm not bothering with it" is a good example of behavior that we need to cull from the preservation industry. Nick makes this podcast with his own time and money and then provides it to us for free. To ask, nay demand, transcripts or further summarization is just downright rude. Then trying to justify your actions by saying you're just too darn busy is plain disrespectful. If you've ever wondered why younger people can't get a foothold in this field or give up fairly easy, it's attitudes like these.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:55 pm 

And personally I think dropping a link and nothing more at the start of a thread is downright rude. The same as a thread title such as, "Oh Look a Hand Grenade *throws*" that graced another post. If you go to McDonalds, they give you a hamburger - not a bag of ingredients to figure out at home.

I never asked for a transcript, but an actual summary with details of what I might hear would be helpful. I understand the point is to get me to listen to the podcast, but that is not the function of this board, is it? The discussion is supposed to be HERE (a message whose only purpose is to advertise for a website is one of only four reasons listed for reporting an inappropriate post) . You may not like my posts but I always try to express myself fully and foster discussion. If I happen to be in a hurry and do drop just a link, I try my best to return to the post and discuss the contents.

Again, I have nothing against the original poster but his media link belongs on the RYPN facebook page instead. Or start a new sticky thread titled Roundhouse Podcasts and post all of them there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm 

Nick does not announce every episode of The Roundhouse on RYPN. He only announces those that have direct relevance to this community. His announcement is in fact a piece of railway preservation news - there is a new relevant episode of his podcast that is available for those who want to listen to it, but not subscribe to hear episodes on modeling, current operations, railfan movie reviews, etc. It is akin to sending out a press release, and encouraging interested parties to get more information.

In fact, I learned about The Roundhouse because of a post on RYPN. I have learned many things from those podcasts that have had direct influence in my personal preservation efforts (which consist of more than armchair foaming or collecting toy trains.)

Quote:
If I happen to be in a hurry and do drop just a link, I try my best to return to the post and discuss the contents.

Which is precisely what happened - in regards to the status of the LNE locomotive (which I think got lost in this off-topic rant) and the use of Facebook to gain and motivate younger volunteers.

<start soapbox>
Finally, I also sign may post with my real name, and encourage other to do the same. Hiding behind anonymous pseudonyms is, to me, the easiest way to lose any credibility when engaging in a conversation.
</end soapbox>

Last edited by elecuyer on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm 

It is perfectly fine to post links to other media, provided that it relates to rail preservation in some manner.

Nobody has yet complained about the posts linking to Keith Rucker's 3 part series on repairing a locomotive steam pipe. Just sayin...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:07 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I would much rather see a link to a podcast that is entirely on topic than have to waste my time reading your rant about how you don't like podcasts and facebook links.

Here here.

Personally, I'd rather someone post outright spam than read another grumpy old man complain about how other people are using the internet.

Or how the world around them doesn't cater to their specific desires. Talk about snowflakes...