It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the preservation world (Hello!)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 pm 

Hello! I’m Simon, a junior in High School from Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Brand new to the forum and relatively brand new to the preservation world.
I’ve been modeling trains and railfanning since I was about 11, however I recently joined the Queen Anne’s Railroad Society about half a year ago. I had thought it was just solely a model society, however I soon learned I was wrong [url][/url]and was swiftly sucked into their restoration project (Which I have yet gained permission to publicly disclose). Since I’m new, I’m trying to lay low, learning the ropes, giving limited suggestions where I see fit. Despite my “laying low” rule, I did manage to get access to their Facebook page, where I happily post about local history and about the society’s annual Christmas show.
In addition to this, I’ve been learning about the basics of railroading at the Walkersville Southern Railroad and learning about how to run steam and traction engines with the Queen Anne’s Museum of Eastern Shore Life. I’ve been doing both of these for about five years now.
I’ve joined the forums to eventually post about the Queen Anne’s Railroad Society’s project and to gain advice. Advice on anything above, especially on what to do as an uprising preservationist, is fully appreciated!

Post subject: Re: New to the preservation world (Hello!)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:49 am 

It’s always nice to see people my age taking avid interests in railroad preservation. Case in point I remember being a sophomore/junior In high school and being super eager to learn particularly about steam locomotives and get involved where I could. I got involved with the Fillmore & Western Railway when I was still a senior in high school, mainly to work on their 1913 Baldwin 2-8-0. Started as a volunteer, then worked part time here and there on it and other projects, then full time for a few months after I graduated. I even came back to help the final push to get the locomotive completed while working as a machinist at my last job.
And now, I’m 21, I run the machine shop for a private collection of two foot gauge locomotives here in California where we do ground up rebuilds on primarily steam locomotives for said private individual.
I also own my own steam locomotive that I am slowly rebuilding. It’s crazy how life works!

Like you I too started very young with my interest in trains and have had HO models since I was 2! What I would say is always remember that there are usually a few ways of doing something, every place tends to do it differently and that there is always something more to learn. Do not be discouraged by anyone saying you’re too young or naive, if I had, i would not be where i am today! So I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your posts regarding your involvements!

-Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 am 

Climax1551 wrote:
Hello! I’m Simon, a junior in High School from Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Brand new to the forum and relatively brand new to the preservation world.
.... Advice on anything above, especially on what to do as an uprising preservationist, is fully appreciated!

Welcome aboard !!!

You should think about attending the NRHS RailCamp next summer.

Details will be announced on nrhs.com soon and scholarships are available from money donated to NRHS for that purpose.

Bob H

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 am 

Many of us are tickled pink whenever we see younger people get involved in railway preservation! This forum exists to exchange information, network, educate and inspire. So please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. Someone here more than likely has the answer.

My advice for anyone entering this field is to learn all you can, develop a
"thick skin", learn patience, embrace the concept of delayed gratification and above all, have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 am 

Welcome! Many of us here are old farts set in our ways so people your age are very refreshing. I got started railfanning just a few years ago when I was four or five and now I am 69. I hope you get as much joy from it as I have.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am 

Delighted to see new blood in the preservation mix. A few words of caution: Please don't suggest removing locomotives that are currently safely preserved, such as Southern 1401 at the Smithsonian, or randomly suggesting all the Pennsy collection be fired up again. Don't suggest building an extinct locomotive class from scratch. Please do: Work on repainting or fencing a park locomotive to preserve it. Get involved at a reputable museum or rail club and get your hands dirty by greasing and oiling, repainting, or doing whichever non-glorious, neglected job needs hands. Ask questions about any locomotive or piece of rolling stock in which you have an interest, but please don't suggest rapid solution to fixing it. There are none.

Once you fully understand the amount and scope of restoration work, you become a valuable asset to the preservation community, and will rapidly move up the leadership chain. Most everything can be accomplished, but it take gallons of sweat and blood, and trainloads of funding to get your dreams realized.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 pm 

Welcome! Your name suggests a fondness for my favorite locomotive---what's the affiliation there?

My advice---keep your eyes and ears open---you never know what you'll learn. I started as a researcher for Cass's restoration project and ended up with my own railroad depot, paperwork collection, and son who's a fireman/engineer!

Keep learning, and keep sharing what you've learned,

Susan Yosten
Erie, PA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 pm 

Yes welcome. I would recommend not doing what I have done or at least some of it. Sounds like you have a plan and that is good. Continue to work on "how to get along with old farts". We are a pain but in developing those skills you will have many mentors to choose from. As you know so many of the skills are somewhat lost by many people in todays world. Most hands on restoration work is nothing more that hard dirty work, not very glamorous. Sometimes mind numbing. But the feeling of accomplishment and occasional finished project is the intrinsic reward. You can always be learning something new. Or not! It can't be bought online. So welcome and don't let any sour grape {old or young} member turn you away from your goal. As a mechanic be smarter than the hammer, as a person be smarter than the a-hole trying to give you a bad time. This applies to the work place too, but when volunteering, some people often feel they don't have to try as hard to get a long with each other. The very best to you and your ambitions. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 pm 

"Queen Anne's Railroad" is a silly name..........

Attachments:
QARX rightside.jpg
QARX rightside.jpg [ 157.75 KiB | Viewed 8141 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm 

Silly engineer, Roads are for Cars!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 pm 

Quote:
""Queen Anne's Railroad" is a silly name ..."

Bet it's a play on 'George Washington's Railroad' - the old C&O marketing campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 pm 

Welcome! I'm another one of the young heads out there assisting in leading a couple restoration projects. Keep your eyes and ears open, ask questions, and most importantly work safe!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:23 am 

I can't agree enough with what Mr. Glueck said about the dirty, unglamorous nature of our work. And the amount! Nothing comes easy, but the end product is always worth it.

But you don't need to devote every spare minute to volunteer work, if you are willing to spend 4-5 hours once a week cutting the grass, painting, or doing other menial jobs you will be making a huge difference to your organization, and will quickly acquire a good reputation as a dependable person.

I second what others have said about attitude, be respectful, don't spout outlandish pie-in-the-sky dreams, and don't just talk about things, go out and do them.

Since you mentioned operating steam, if you aren't doing this already keep a logbook of all the hours you spend operating or working on them. For each entry specify the machine, and whether it was hot or cold. Those records will come in handy one day.

We really do need more young people in this field. I started volunteering when I was about your age, and have never looked back. 8 years later I am able to say that I have made a difference for the better, but my efforts are but a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed. Keep plugging away at your projects, I know I will!

And when you can post about them here or on other forums. It's always good to share experiences and ask questions, and we need all the (good) publicity we can get.

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am 

OK, since we're discussing the old Queen Anne (which you can find pictures of the remains preserved as part of a restaurant in other older threads here),

What is that big hose connecting the #3 to the first coach?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 am 

p.s. Simon: I also recommend the summer rail camp. My son did it and had a great time.