It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NKP 757 move
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm 

We are excited to announce that NKP 757 has returned home to Bellevue Ohio. Arrival at Moorman Yard was very early this morning and the crews travelling with the move got some overdue rest.

The next big question is when will it be at the Museum. Today sometime mid afternoon Norfolk Southern will be placing the 757 into the Mad River and NKP Railroad Museum Coach Yard. There is no definite time set for this move. We ask that for everyone's safety for both fans and crew, plus for the best viewing opportunity anyone wishing to see this move please gather at the Kemper Rail Park on Monroe Street.

The entire process of bringing the locomotive to Bellevue has been a smooth and efficient process and we wish to see it delivered in a safe manner. Thank you for your cooperation and support of this project!

bringback757.org/2019/02/757-is-coming-home/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 pm 

Has anyone else noted, despite the fact this Berkshire was cold and in tow, it is still possible to move a steam locomotive over a common carrier without the world coming apart at the seams? Thank you Norfolk Southern! There's a lesson in this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 pm 

Yup......and it's all the prep work by trusted people
Thank you NS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:05 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Has anyone else noted, despite the fact this Berkshire was cold and in tow, it is still possible to move a steam locomotive over a common carrier without the world coming apart at the seams? Thank you Norfolk Southern! There's a lesson in this.

Not trying to sound greedy. But could this open the door to move those poor GG1's in Cooperstown? (Or was that an issue with CP?)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 am 

NS 3322 wrote:
Not trying to sound greedy. But could this open the door to move those poor GG1's in Cooperstown? (Or was that an issue with CP?)

The Gs are located along the mainline in Cooperstown Junction, NY and only one was to be moved.

Joshua

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 am 

> But could this open the door to move those poor GG1's in Cooperstown?

This is really a point where RyPN can shine. In short, what made this move possible? A summary on the prep work, the inspections, the test runs on the Strasburg RR, the agreement to allow a caboose to tag along with people on board, etc would be nice to see here on RyPN.

Obviously, some careful and complete coordination with NS was key to the move and somehow NS was comfortable with handling the move. Was it a pure cash incentive? Was there some heavy insurance requirements here? Was any part of the move donated by NS?

The question has been asked, can something like a GG1 be moved. The Harrisburg GG1 has been moved, so the answer is yes, but what kind of prep work went into that? As to the Cooperstown GG1s, both at some point need a new home, but there are lots of situational differences between the GG1s sitting abandoned in the woods and the 757 which has been sitting in a museum with access to live rail and a known/respected railroad repair shop. Again, though with the right planning, the right people, and perhaps cash, anything is doable if one wants to make it happen. Lots to learn here from the 757 move. Hopefully we will see a well documented report or article on what made this possible.

J.R.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:39 pm 

When was PRR 4859 moved by NS?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
When was PRR 4859 moved by NS?

Mr. May was only stating that it would not be impossible to move a GG1 on live rails.
You are correct, it would be Amtrak that moved it.

Post subject: NKP 757 is officially “home”
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:03 pm 

So, as I bet almost all of you have heard at this point, Nickel Plate Road 757 has officially been transported from it's old display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, to it's “new” home at the Mad River and Nickel Plate Railroad Museum in Bellevue, Ohio, where she'll be cosmetically restored. Anyhow, I was just passing the word out in case you weren't aware, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this. All I can say now is: Welcome home, 757.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: NKP 757 is officially “home”
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:48 pm 

It’s pretty crazy to think really. It’s a bit of a bittersweet moment for some of us in the east. What I mean is that it does make it more of a journey to see an NKP Berk (I live in MD and the 757 was prominent in my memory in my many visits to Lancaster and the museum) but I’m definitely glad it’s home where it belongs. I’m happy for the Mad River and NKP and this acquisition should do nothing but improve their collection to make more of the general public interested. Any steam locomotive is attractive towards railfans and commoners alike. I wish them the best of luck in preserving and restoring this special Berk.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:05 am 

Steamguy73 wrote:
It’s pretty crazy to think really. It’s a bit of a bittersweet moment for some of us in the east. What I mean is that it does make it more of a journey to see an NKP Berk (I live in MD and the 757 was prominent in my memory in my many visits to Lancaster and the museum) but I’m definitely glad it’s home where it belongs. I’m happy for the Mad River and NKP and this acquisition should do nothing but improve their collection to make more of the general public interested. Any steam locomotive is attractive towards railfans and commoners alike. I wish them the best of luck in preserving and restoring this special Berk.

Indeed. I'm just glad she'll be better cared for. And hey, just for kicks and grins, maybe one day we'll see her fired up again! (Probably not, as there's already 1 NKP Berk operating, and if I were to choose to see another NKP Berk under steam, I'd have to go with 759, due to her lengthy history in excursion service. But in all seriousness, I'm just glad 757's finally home.)

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:22 am 

I think it is pretty safe to say that aside from 765, it is highly unlikely that any of the other surviving NKP berks will be running anytime soon. It's just enough to see that 757 is home in Ohio and will be cosmetically restored.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 am 

I'd say that the only one with even a slight chance to be hot again would be 763, but I don't see that happening either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:25 am 

Kudos to the crew at the museum and especially to NS for making it happen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:29 pm 

NKP Berks are just beautiful machines. Having chased 759 in my prime years, I would love to see a gathering of the species. I've seen them all in preservation - except 765!
An authority on the subject has told me 759 is about $500,000 away from a fire, but I don't expect she's a priority any longer, and that's just sad.

Congratulations to all of you who were involved, corporate sponsors as well. Thank you RMPA for having vision enough to let her go home. Thanks NS for giving her respect on the rails. I'll bet she's going to look great in her new home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next