It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: More Declining Interest in History Preservation
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:03 pm 

Edited: I think "civil war re-enactors" is a political topic, so I am staying away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:30 pm 

PMC wrote:
Edited: I think "civil war re-enactors" is a political topic, so I am staying away.

Then why say anything at all? Bait.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 pm 

As a CW reenactor and young preservationist I'll address both topics that have come up in this thread. As far as civil war reenacting goes the mainstream 'farbs' are the ones dying out. The 'campaigners' who often put on living history events and private reenactments are on the rise- and have been for years. They typically stay away from huge events (such as Gettysburg) due to the kinds of people they attract. If one were to go to say, Franklin TN, or Fort Blakeley AL, for a living history demonstration or reenactment; you might be surprised at the number of guys under 35 turning out. Authentic reenacting is more of a mid-west thing anyways.

To get more on track with this forum on the other hand, It seems every few years this same question comes up. "Where are the young guys?" often followed by most agreeing that we're "dying out". I can promise you the same question will continue to be asked years in the future, when most us here and now would've figured all our work would have been reduced to razor blades, and the history books thrown out from neglect.

Is rail/historical preservation hurting for young guys? Of course- but when hasn't it?

One may go into a hyper-analytic mode, where the education system is to blame, or video games, modern culture, ect. But let's be honest- when hasn't history been a rather niche topic of interest- especially with teens and young adults who are busy with life?

The trend I'm seeing is that new volunteers over the age of 50 join on an average of ten to every one under 30. When asked why they joined, most reply to the effect of "I'm retired, my wife wanted me out of the house, Needed something to do, ect." Sound familiar?

When I ask interested younger people why they don't sign up, it's one or more of three reasons: School, transportation issues, or a job. I'm sure we all remember being in that situation once upon a time. The youth who can balance those three AND an active volunteer position are incredibly difficult to come by. This is why a lack of involvement by the younger generation is perceived as a dying interest in history.

I am 19 years old. I am also full time student who actively volunteers at three different organizations. I am also the youth-involvement and recruitment leader at one of these places. This is a topic I've explored for as long as I've been involved in rail preservation.

These mythical teens interested in history are out there, believe it or not, it is simply that many do not feel the commitment or necessity to become involved in preserving it (rail-related or not). Those who do become active in preserving history later in life are largely ignored when they do- because they are no longer 'young blood'. In the coming years, even I will be forced to limit or leave rail preservation due to the happenings of life, just as EWrice says.

The important thing is, and I can promise you as someone who ought to know this- young people still have a interest in history! If you're hurting for people under the age of 30, you aren't doing it right!

Anyways, just a few thoughts from a young guy. I didn't mean for this to become the rant it did. There's some very good dialogue in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:42 pm 

Mount Royal wrote:
PMC wrote:

I did, but then deleted it, and wanted to offer an explanation of why for those who read the original.

Why just leave a one-word comment like "bait"? I think your comment is abusive and doesn't belong here. If you don't have the guts to say what you mean don't say anything at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:42 pm 

I read that article a couple days ago, and I have a different slant on it. If you read the whole article, much of the stated appeal is the camaraderie gained from "hanging out with the boys." This is no different than any other fraternal organization, and we all know they have been slowly fading away since before Jackie Gleason donned the headdress of the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo on the old Honeymooners TV program. People have different ways of interacting socially these days that don't include sleeping in a tent and feeding the mosquitoes all night just to take part in a reenacted skirmish or two.

Even in railroad oriented hobbies, you see far fewer "vesties" these days, guys wearing vests covered with patches as mementos of events past. Organizations like the National Model Railroad Association are in decline, and have been for years. Meanwhile there has been a tremendous increase of railroad historical societies that focus on the history of one particular line. The difference, as I see it, is the NMRA is all about the organization, while the historical societies focus more on the study of the history of their subject of interest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:45 pm 

PMC wrote:
Mount Royal wrote:
PMC wrote:

I did, but then deleted it, and wanted to offer an explanation of why for those who read the original.

Why just leave a one-word comment like "bait"? I think your comment is abusive and doesn't belong here. If you don't have the guts to say what you mean don't say anything at all.

My point exactly. I’ve got guts for days, bub. Abusive, not at all. An opinion, that’s it. Don’t read into it any further. If you didn’t want to say anything, you shouldn’t have posted at all. That’s what I’m saying. Carry on and have a great evening!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:55 pm 

Mount Royal wrote:
PMC wrote:
Mount Royal wrote:

My point exactly. I’ve got guts for days, bub. Abusive, not at all. An opinion, that’s it. Don’t read into it any further. If you didn’t want to say anything, you shouldn’t have posted at all. That’s what I’m saying. Carry on and have a great evening!

I (and the moderators) determine what I will say and not say, not you. In the future do not comment on any of my posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:56 pm 

as12 wrote:
As a CW reenactor and young preservationist I'll address both topics that have come up in this thread. As far as civil war reenacting goes the mainstream 'farbs' are the ones dying out. The 'campaigners' who often put on living history events and private reenactments are on the rise- and have been for years. They typically stay away from huge events (such as Gettysburg) due to the kinds of people they attract. If one were to go to say, Franklin TN, or Fort Blakeley AL, for a living history demonstration or reenactment; you might be surprised at the number of guys under 35 turning out. Authentic reenacting is more of a mid-west thing anyways.

To get more on track with this forum on the other hand, It seems every few years this same question comes up. "Where are the young guys?" often followed by most agreeing that we're "dying out". I can promise you the same question will continue to be asked years in the future, when most us here and now would've figured all our work would have been reduced to razor blades, and the history books thrown out from neglect.

Is rail/historical preservation hurting for young guys? Of course- but when hasn't it?

One may go into a hyper-analytic mode, where the education system is to blame, or video games, modern culture, ect. But let's be honest- when hasn't history been a rather niche topic of interest- especially with teens and young adults who are busy with life?

The trend I'm seeing is that new volunteers over the age of 50 join on an average of ten to every one under 30. When asked why they joined, most reply to the effect of "I'm retired, my wife wanted me out of the house, Needed something to do, ect." Sound familiar?

When I ask interested younger people why they don't sign up, it's one or more of three reasons: School, transportation issues, or a job. I'm sure we all remember being in that situation once upon a time. The youth who can balance those three AND an active volunteer position are incredibly difficult to come by. This is why a lack of involvement by the younger generation is perceived as a dying interest in history.

I am 19 years old. I am also full time student who actively volunteers at three different organizations. I am also the youth-involvement and recruitment leader at one of these places. This is a topic I've explored for as long as I've been involved in rail preservation.

These mythical teens interested in history are out there, believe it or not, it is simply that many do not feel the commitment or necessity to become involved in preserving it (rail-related or not). Those who do become active in preserving history later in life are largely ignored when they do- because they are no longer 'young blood'. In the coming years, even I will be forced to limit or leave rail preservation due to the happenings of life, just as EWrice says.

The important thing is, and I can promise you as someone who ought to know this- young people still have a interest in history! If you're hurting for people under the age of 30, you aren't doing it right!

Anyways, just a few thoughts from a young guy. I didn't mean for this to become the rant it did. There's some very good dialogue in this thread.

Not a rant at all. I’d say your comment is accurate. I started volunteering with museums when I was 18. I volunteered over 3,000 hours over a period of 3 years with one museum. I was able to maintain that kind of service until I was 35.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:04 pm 

PMC wrote:
I (and the moderators) determine what I will say and not say, not you. In the future do not comment on any of my posts.

I enjoy the same freedom. I will comment on any post, topic, or thread I wish. Now, I’ve said all I’m going to say about this.

Apologies to all for the momentary drift. Let’s resume the topic, shall we?

Post subject: Moderatior's Warning... Re: More Declining Interest ...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

This topic, when it was about declining interest in history was relevant to this forum. Unfortunately, one individual has become argumentative and could even be considered a bully...

As a result I am locking this topic.

As your moderator, I would welcome a new thread on how the public views history and our museums.

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2