It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Getting Proactive Folks.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 am 

David Notarius wrote:
Ok, there are some more serious issues afloat. Mainly protecting the land and right of way your equipment is sitting on. Especially for those groups who do not own the ground that is under them. As we seen, working with friendly local governments can be unpredictable; they are subject to political pressures and agendas. Administration changes can overnight can find your operation the subject of termination of leases and lengthily (and costly) legal processes. Not to mention the increase pressure from the rails to trails lobby, which is becoming increasingly hostile to anyone who apposes their projects. So, where do we go from here? What options do we have? And as a preservation movement as a whole, what can we do to protect right of way and land for the future? Yes, keeping your equipment clean and the grass cut is important, but so is protecting the land under it.

Don’t forget to wear your safety goggles while mowing – David Notarius, Sneezing in England instead of Pennsylvania

I've brought this up before, and it's worth recalling again. . .we live in an environment that can be quite hostile to us--or at best, just doesn't want our sort of competition. We need to deal with that reality.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1 ... 19-08%3A00

We can be vulnerable even if we own property and take care of it.

http://www.dupyrail.com/kmrr.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPfq8fUFkRM

Post subject: Re: Getting Proactive Folks.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 pm 

Thanks, J..... I'd much rather use my capital building a great operation with a partner who supports it instead of worrying about buying and maintaining land that can be taken away from me in any case..... and tempered by the knowledge that no matter what you build and how you build it there's no chance it will not die at some point when it's no longer relevant. Put on a hell of a show while you have an audience and don't be ashamed to close it when nobody shows up any more.