It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Sources of Trench Railway Information
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:34 pm 

Dylan,

I'll talk to Sammy pretty soon, but in the meantime you should try the search words suggested to you, BECAUSE many Euro websites have an English language version as well as Dutch/German/Polish, etc. You bring up their homepage, then look for an American or British flag type button, and click on it.

There is also Google translator (I think it still works).

You might try looking for "Waldeisenbahn Muskow", a two footer in Saxony built for logging, but with similar equipment to the wartime operations. Also, the "Mansfelder Bergwerksbahn" is an industrial type two foot gauge (600mm), again it is similar to the military railroads. During wartime, these both WERE military lines, of course, now they are operating as tourist lines.

I also saw a 600mm operating tourist line, and a museum full of 600mm equipment that looked like life size LGB trains. I don't have my notes with me, no idea how to spell or pronounce that place, but it's close to Wolsztyn and Sroda.

That's only scratching the surface...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 pm 

QJdriver wrote:

I also saw a 600mm operating tourist line, and a museum full of 600mm equipment that looked like life size LGB trains. I don't have my notes with me, no idea how to spell or pronounce that place, but it's close to Wolsztyn and Sroda.

That sounds like the line out of Znin (near Inwroclaw) which has a sizeable collection of stock in an open air museum display along the line at Wenecja

Have been there a couple of times on trips to Poland.

Another large display of narrow gauge equipment (and an operating line) is at Sochaczew, just to the west of Warsaw.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:08 pm 

An armored trench loco on Antigua:

https://www.facebook.com/107508883031/photos/a.10150414631098032.448104.107508883031/10153948179113032/?type=1&theater

JR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm 

Wenecja, I see that I forgot to mention it is in POLAND.

Every two foot gauge train I've ever seen has been part of a giant trainset type operation, EXCEPT this one. Standing on the platform of one of the intermediate stations (another unpronounceable place), I was very much taken with seeing those teeny tracks coming from a town over the horizon someplace, then turning 180 degrees to see them vanish behind the opposite horizon going towards another town someplace "far away".

By the way, in their open air museum, they seem to have a few serviceable steam engines. Also, not serviceable, but in not too bad a shape is an extremely cute Belgian built 4-6-2 (yes, two foot gauge) that I believe worked in a park railroad in Warsaw.

Worth a look next time you're passing that way.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
By the way, in their open air museum, they seem to have a few serviceable steam engines. Also, not serviceable, but in not too bad a shape is an extremely cute Belgian built 4-6-2 (yes, two foot gauge) that I believe worked in a park railroad in Warsaw.

Worth a look next time you're passing that way.

Wandering a bit off the original thread, this is the loco in question.......
Attachment:
99-226.JPG
99-226.JPG [ 241.26 KiB | Viewed 3093 times ]

Off the top of my head, they wwere built to run a service in the grounds of an Exhibition somewhere in the 1930's - possibly initially in Belgium, but then moved on to another site, which is how this one ended up in Poland. I believe there is another one surviving somewhere that has been "found" in the past few years and is being restored to operational condition. I've seen an article about it in one of the UK magazines at some stage.

The get things a bit more back on track, the museum has a couple of Heeresfeldbahn locos like this as well.....
Attachment:
99-235.JPG
99-235.JPG [ 274.87 KiB | Viewed 3093 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:50 pm 

John Redden wrote:

The Antigua claim of "last survivng" isn't quite right. There is another armoured Simplex. http://www.unseensteam.co.uk/News/Simplex-grant-boost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 am 

You will find a lot of photos of US equipment here:

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=t ... e&rows=100