It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last-Minute Save For THIS Week: Midwest Loco Works 48-tonner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
See Classifieds for more details:

Quote:
The Altamont Fair in upstate New York is willing to offer a historic locomotive to a reputable party. Albany District #1 constructed in 1931 is a rare 48 tonner produced by the small Ohio builder Midwest Locomotive Works. It had an extensive career in local industries further working for Fort Orange Paper in Castleton, NY. Cared for by the late Joe Merli she is now under threat from the torch. If you are interested please contact [Cameron Wolk] for further details.

Post subject: Re: Last-Minute Save For THIS Week: Midwest Loco Works 48-to
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 am 

Some further information and corrections: There were originally two of these, built by Midwest Locomotive Works of Hamilton, OH in 1931 as Albany Port District #1 (b/n 1071, 7/24/31) and #2 (b/n 1072, 8/17/31). Gas-electric design unique to Midwest and not related to Whitcomb at all. GE electrical equipment and two Climax R6I engines of 200 HP each, center cab design. #1 was sold 3/26/53 to Fort Orange Paper Co. n#, Castleton, NY. Same plant operated later as Brown Paper Co., then Brown Co. Still there as reserve power in 1971. #2 sold 12/4/52 to McGrath Sand & Gravel Co. n#, Forreston, IL. Later Concrete Materials Div. of Martin-Marietta Corp. after 1/1/65. In use there as of 1970 as M-M #70181.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:36 am 

Found a nice picture of this locomotive the other day on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Albany-Port-District-Railroad-Train-1-45T-Engine-Loco-6x4-Photo-X2200S-A/163154607053?hash=item25fcc5bbcd:g:fxQAAOSwXrBbE58V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm 

That is a neat locomotive and if I were not eyeballs deep in other "saves" I would be all over this thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 am 

There may be an option developing here for it. If anyone is interested in helping out, send me a PM or email at jrmay@monmouth.com

I have messaged the FB poster, but no response as of yet. Would be nice to have a length, width, height if someone had it handy someplace.

Don't want to step on anyone else who may be working a solution. Let me know and I will back off.

J.R. May

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:14 am 

JR May wrote:
There may be an option developing here for it. If anyone is interested in helping out, send me a PM or email at jrmay@monmouth.com

I have messaged the FB poster, but no response as of yet. Would be nice to have a length, width, height if someone had it handy someplace.

Don't want to step on anyone else who may be working a solution. Let me know and I will back off.

J.R. May

I might have an option to bring it just down I-88 to near the Binghamton area and over time work to get it operational again. I do have a location with available space. Would be happy to coordinate with you and pool efforts.

Check your email inbox.

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm 

I apologize for not saying anything sooner but I got hung up on dealing with requests on social media. This locomotive is indeed owned by the Altamont Fairgrounds which is looking to dispose of her, fortunately there is no deadline at this time. New information does support that #1 is a 45 tonner not a 48. This is a standard gauge unit and comes with a spare truck equipped with traction motors.
Make no mistake she is in rough condition from her days as a fair attraction. Local children have damaged critical components including wiring, windows and other small parts. The engines are intact albeit will require a multi-year restoration given their exposure to the elements.
If you're interested please send me a PM within the next few days. A decision will be made shortly as to the selected organization. Good luck gentlemen!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 pm 

JR May wrote:

J.R. May

Check your Facebook, I have since responded. Please do not respond to my contact unless you are an authorized party. I recently had a young man inappropriately posing for another organization which landed him in some hot water. There is a way and a way not to go about this process.

Cameron