It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Thomas the Tank engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm 

Does anyone know how many Thomas the Tank Engine replicas there are?

It appears that a standard gauge one is working at the Northwest Pacific Railway Museum and another at the Illinois Railroad Museum this weekend.

Then there is a three foot gauge one that works at the Colorado Railroad Museum. And then the two foot gauge replicas at Thomas Land, at what used to be the Edaville Railroad in Massachusetts.

The Strasburg Railroad has a real 0-6-0 locomotive; which used to be a Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal loco. I saw that one at Railfair 1999.

ted Miles

Post subject: Re: Thomas the Tank engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm 

Hi Ted;

Good to hear from you. I think you have accounted for all of them.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:02 pm 

I think that's all of the current ones. There may have been others in the early days when Thomas was just getting started (I seem to recall an 0-4-0T?).

Mr. Hefner, it's good to have you back. We missed you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm 

Charlie wrote:
I think that's all of the current ones. There may have been others in the early days when Thomas was just getting started (I seem to recall an 0-4-0T?).

Mr. Hefner, it's good to have you back. We missed you.

Thank you Charlie. When I shut down my Surviving World Steam Project a few years ago, I drifted away from steam preservation.

Thanks in large part to AOTT on Facebook, I have been visiting here more frequently. Thanks again.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm 

In less than two weeks, Kennywood Amusement Park in Pittsburgh, PA will be opening Thomas Town. I keep seeing ads on the TV and it sure looks like another Thomas replica has been created.

https://www.kennywood.com/thomastown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm 

ted66 wrote:

There is one "steam" Thomas that currently operates at Strasburg and at the Henry Ford. In years past, he had traveled to nine or ten different operations per year, but at 55 tons, he's pretty expensive to haul around.

Of the unpowered Thomas "replicas", there are four standard gauge, one 3' gauge, and one 2' gauge.

There is one unpowered Percy "replica".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm 

Damn, that place has certainly changed since I was a kid...…

Do Pittsburghers still understand the meaning of the phrase "Kennywood's open?"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm 

Dave wrote:
Damn, that place has certainly changed since I was a kid...…

My late wife's parents were good friends with the owners. When she was young, she would ride the roller coasters all day

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 pm 

I think the last year that the live steam Thomas came to the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad was 2009. I remember seeing a picture of an awkward looking Thomas replica from the late 90's that was probably half the size of the coaches. It had very small wheels and appeared to be something straight out of an amusement park. Anyone have pictures of that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
In less than two weeks, Kennywood Amusement Park in Pittsburgh, PA will be opening Thomas Town. I keep seeing ads on the TV and it sure looks like another Thomas replica has been created.

https://www.kennywood.com/thomastown

Some other material on the Kennywood project.

One thing that hurts for traditionalists like us is that Thomas will be partially replacing the park train that's been there since the 1940s. Of note is that its locomotives (steam outline units constructed by Vulcan) were originally built for the New York World's Fair of 1939-1940.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/ ... 1804240164

https://coaster-nation.com/thomas-town- ... kennywood/

https://www.kpconnection.com/2018/02/ne ... omas-town/

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/recrea ... 1803020191

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/02 ... ouncement/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm 

Those Vulcan locomotives are historic in themselves. As usually happens at amusement parks, they will be put into storage and replaced by new Thomas locomotives. Might be worth finding out if they may be available soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:13 pm 

Absolutely! The attached photo shows the sign which appears in every men's room of the Eat'n Park chain of restaurants.

For the uninitiated, "Kennywood's open!", when addressed to a male, is Pittsburghese shorthand for: "Your fly is unzipped."

/s/ Larry

Attachments:
Is_Kennywood_Open_.jpg
Is_Kennywood_Open_.jpg [ 33.85 KiB | Viewed 11519 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
ted66 wrote:

There is one "steam" Thomas that currently operates at Strasburg and at the Henry Ford. In years past, he had traveled to nine or ten different operations per year, but at 55 tons, he's pretty expensive to haul around.

Of the unpowered Thomas "replicas", there are four standard gauge, one 3' gauge, and one 2' gauge.

I didn't realize that the Steam Thomas only visits Henry Ford now (and of course operates at Strasburg). I thought he still got around to a few other places.

I should make it a point to see him at Henry Ford next year, in case his traveling days are numbered. Would like to get some photos of him around the roundhouse / turntable etc. That roundhouse looks VERY similar to the one in the early thomas films that I grew up on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
Those Vulcan locomotives are historic in themselves. As usually happens at amusement parks, they will be put into storage and replaced by new Thomas locomotives. Might be worth finding out if they may be available soon.

The rumblings are that one of the Vulcans is getting a Thomas body,at least for this year. The other one will be kept in emergency reserve as is, with the possibility of a Thomas body in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Kelly Anderson wrote:
ted66 wrote:

I didn't realize that the Steam Thomas only visits Henry Ford now (and of course operates at Strasburg). I thought he still got around to a few other places.

I should make it a point to see him at Henry Ford next year, in case his traveling days are numbered. Would like to get some photos of him around the roundhouse / turntable etc. That roundhouse looks VERY similar to the one in the early thomas films that I grew up on.

In the past, the "real" Thomas (as I like to call the engine) also visited the Delaware River Railroad in Phillipsburg, NJ on an annual basis. The past two years, however, they have used one of the "replica" Thomases instead (sadly).

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next