It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thomas the Tank engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:36 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
LiveWire wrote:
Did "Thomas" ever run when in Ohio? Its sale predates my first visit to that operation.

Yes, the CVSR used it at least a couple of times early in their Day Out With Thomas events, but it's been at least six or seven years since they did. They then later used what was left on the coal pile at Boston MIlls for either OC #1293 or NKP #765 for Steam in the Valley, but I think the last few years Ft. Wayne has brought their own coal in gons with them.

My mistake, I was referencing its time on the TLE&W before its blue makeover.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:51 pm 

Going back to pages 3/4 - this (https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/22/health/t ... index.html) appeared around the same time as a piece, on the BBC IIRC, that reported parents complaints about Thomas and his 'fascist' realm. Also it was just after that PBS abruptly dropped Thomas, so there at least appears to be some left-wing backlash. Whether it's justified depends on your point of view, but that coupled with the licensing price hikes for an already high-percentage operation can't help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:35 pm 

LiveWire wrote:
My mistake, I was referencing its time on the TLE&W before its blue makeover.

As far as I know, #15's previous owner fired her up once, maybe twice, prior to putting her up for sale, but that is all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 am 

Wow I can't believe they didn't catch that! I'm from Illinois and that's pretty bad to think nobody said "let's make sure the locomotive is historically correct". They still show the same design on their website. Who got a response from the state? Or was it posted somewhere? Will not purchase one until I see the new rendering for sure!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:45 pm 

I got a call from the Treasurer office and we talked about 30 minutes a day or two after the design was presented (I've worked in the industry for years and now teach rail regulations and operations, so my title got their attention). I was told that they had received a number of calls and e-mails about the issue, but they weren't experts and could use help. I provided sources of diagrams and other information.

I reminded them that just a few years ago, there had been the Lincoln Funeral Train in Springfield and that was the type locomotive (4-4-0 - American) that they should use if they wanted to represent rail history. They seemed to understand this and said that they were going to have a professional artist rework the details of the emblem and coin.

Who knows what they will really do?

Bart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm 

Bartman-TN wrote:
I reminded them that just a few years ago, there had been the Lincoln Funeral Train in Springfield and that was the type locomotive (4-4-0 - American) that they should use if they wanted to represent rail history. They seemed to understand this and said that they were going to have a professional artist rework the details of the emblem and coin.

Shoot, and I was lobbying for them to put #90 up there. Hey, she's been through Illinois twice, that should qualify her...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 am 

The new Thomas the Tank Engine ride at Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh had a derailment yesterday. I guess he didn't like the track layout there.
https://www.wtae.com/article/thomas-tow ... d/22612802

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:11 am 

WVNorthern wrote:
The new Thomas the Tank Engine ride at Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh had a derailment yesterday. I guess he didn't like the track layout there.

Thomas has caused Confusion and Delay. The fat controller will not be pleased.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 pm 

Not only that,but apparently he got overheated, and required the installation of an addtional fan. The new cover, whether it's fiberglass or sheet metal, has insufficient ventilation for the current drive chain in that Vulcan gas mechanical (it's on at least the third motor of it's life).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:40 pm 

Jennie K wrote:
Not only that,but apparently he got overheated, and required the installation of an addtional fan. The new cover, whether it's fiberglass or sheet metal, has insufficient ventilation for the current drive chain in that Vulcan gas mechanical (it's on at least the third motor of it's life).

What? One of the old Vulcans is under there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 pm 

Yes, and while the other one is still in more or less it's original form, rumblings are that by next year it might have a new body too

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:31 pm 

Regarding the coin design; I couldn't believe how such a simplistic, almost stick figure design was ever accepted, let alone win. I do hope they take the concept and completely rework it with a better detailed design that takes advantage of the three-dimensional nature of coin stamping. The "Conestoga wagon" part was just as bad as the Thomas!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am 

Maybe someone will chime in and correct the "wagon" the way Bart jumped in to get the locomotive historically correct. Maybe Bart has checked in to "check their work"...?!
Hmmmm... Not of the images look cohesive, technique wise etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:26 am 

Jennie K wrote:
Yes, and while the other one is still in more or less it's original form, rumblings are that by next year it might have a new body too

I'm surprised that with everything else, the park didn't spring for new locomotives.

As it is, I wonder how maintenance is going. Those Vulcans do have rod drives under those fake wheels; I hope they are getting the lubrication and other attention they need.

I notice that it looks like the track arrangement is the same as before; seems all that was done was to remove things like the turnpike ride and replace them with Thomas themed rides.

This video shows some details we haven't seen before. . .it does look like the track was relaid, but the overall arrangement looks very much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqj9zjtCVCk

I am afraid I'm not impressed. The look went from a pretty classic amusement park to a cartoon world. I would bet the lousy music that's part of the Thomas TV shows is playing in the air as well.

It's the difference between a FAMILY attraction and a KIDDIE attraction.

Don't get me wrong, Thomas is a classic in children's literature. . .but the recent developments, well, if it's running its course, I think we know where the problems lie. I mean, if the audience is mostly young children, and you always have more of those coming along, how do you lose them?

As Kennywood's train ride used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooKxy2yi3eY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGp7guq ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:24 pm 

The Kennywood Thomas has derailed a second time in its first week of operation. It is out of service indefinitely until maintenance can figure out what's wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next