It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Thomas the Tank engine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:28 pm 

It does look like the track was rebuilt, or maybe removed and replaced.

Take a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-L5vMCXKw

Here's a screen grab from 1:45. See anything wrong? Doesn't look like an experienced track man was on the project. Or maybe that's a sun kink. But I can see why they'd have problems.

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 238.23 KiB | Viewed 5522 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:44 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
Seems all that was done was to remove things like the turnpike ride and replace them with Thomas themed rides.

Yes, they just got rid of some kiddyland type stuff and made the replacements Thomas themed.

A couple minor clarifications. I think there is a circular kiddie ride called "the Turnpike", but the true "Turnpike" at Kennywood was a ride with small cars, originally gas powered, that you got to drive. Basically the same as Disney's Autopia. You even had limited steering control, though a center guide rail prevented any off road adventures. It was removed a few years back to build a new coaster.

More importantly, the 1930's built "Auto Race" by Traver Engineering is still there. This unique ride was built by a coaster company, and sort of resembles a coaster track. When I was a kid the ride had a bunch of small hills, maybe 10 feet tall, that added some excitement, kind of like a coaster, that were much of the charm. Now it's boring as all get out if you're over, say, 5, "Race" is a grand overstatement of the speed and unlike the now defunct turnpike you don't even get to steer, or if you do, it's very limited. I'm not sure, but I think the speed may be set by the ride too. it's also unique, historically significant and should definitely be preserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3_Y-OcsQM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:12 pm 

Hmm, if that screenshot (I'm on dial-up, no U-tube for me!) is any example of the trackwork, then it seems obvious what the problem is! Wonder who (if anyone) engineered the track layout. Real-world trains don't operate like cartoon-world trains!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 pm 

David Dewey wrote:
Hmm, if that screenshot (I'm on dial-up, no U-tube for me!) is any example of the trackwork, then it seems obvious what the problem is! Wonder who (if anyone) engineered the track layout. Real-world trains don't operate like cartoon-world trains!

Just to be clear, the general alignment of the curve, including the radius, is fine. That's what the track always looked like, the curves are very sharp, and the engines went around them just fine for many many years. But the kink in the curve and especially the kink at the joint looks suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm 

The TTTE Wikia claims that there might be a 2nd Steam Powered Thomas which is oil fired, but this hasn't been confirmed by anyone. http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/B.E.D.T._15 But as it Stands, there is only 1 “real” Thomas in the U.S. Technically, The only “real” Thomas in the world is at the Nene Valley Railway in the UK, as the Rev. W. Awdry (The guy who wrote the book series that the Thomas & Friends TV Series is based on) named it himself.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:21 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
The TTTE Wikia claims that there might be a 2nd Steam Powered Thomas which is oil fired, but this hasn't been confirmed by anyone. http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/B.E.D.T._15 But as it Stands, there is only 1 “real” Thomas in the U.S. Technically, The only “real” Thomas in the world is at the Nene Valley Railway in the UK, as the Rev. W. Awdry (The guy who wrote the book series that the Thomas & Friends TV Series is based on) named it himself.

And ironically, it looks nothing like the animated and subsequently recreated Thomas that so many are used to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:20 pm 

My lady and I visited Kennywood Park on Memorial Day. "Thomas" was sidetracked and one of the surviving "Gimbels" locomotives was running in his place.

/s/ Larry

Attachments:
20190527_202215-20.jpg
20190527_202215-20.jpg [ 255.25 KiB | Viewed 4274 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 pm 

They have had a weight distribution problem with the Thomas overlay on the other Vulcan chassis. It has derailed several times when they tried to use it. The smart thing to do would be to order a new Thomas that will track properly instead of trying to save a dime by using a body that is too big for the chassis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7