It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ExErie Lackawanna SD45-2 (and others scrapped)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:44 pm 

wm303 wrote:

Of course, there are ambulance chasers in our hobby too. You only hear from them while the sirens are wailing.

That's enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
So, the only way we can raise money in this hobby, or any other such endeavor, is with the threat of imminent destruction?

I think I'll take my late father-in-law's beat-up old pickup truck, repaint it for a scrapper firm, load some acetylene tanks and torches and hoses in the back, and drive around to various rail museums and rail yards and park next to the desired preservation target to assist in fundraisers. You'll need to pay my gas, room and board, and an hourly fee.......

Attachments:
FacebookPlea.jpg
FacebookPlea.jpg [ 88.08 KiB | Viewed 7102 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:29 pm 

I would encourage the nay-sayers to watch carefully. You're about to be surprised by what CSX does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 pm 

St Louis has one on display. VMT has one in need of care. Aren’t there 6 or so running on Shared Assets owned by NS and CSX each?

I’d be more worried about some EL stuff already “saved”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 pm 

St. Louis and VMT have SD45s, not SD45-2s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 am 

etalcos, I like surprises, so I won't ask about your info on CSX, but can you elaborate on the donation/untimely demise timeframe of the 8973/3672? Having more information added to this discussion would make the talk better I think. Of course, if its related to this impending announcement, blink twice. ;)

By my count, this will make for 4 of EL's 13 SD45-2s scrapped. Both that went to the R&N have been gone for close to two decades now, the Ohio Central Unit is gone, and now the 8973. 9 of the 13 remain. 6 on NS, 3 on CSX.

While on this topic, I still think it may be pertinent to attempt to save one of the last 6 SDP45s from the EL as well. VMoT's is the most likely candidate, but Cincinnati East Terminal has one, HLCX has one, I believe WAMX has one, and two others are at National Railway Equipment. These SDP45s are the last from any railroad; SP and GN/BN units have been gone for some time now. (Though I keep seeing references to the CCET unit (YCR 332) being preserved at HVRM, I assume erroneously)...

In response to other comments, and like I stated earlier, the earlier the better for preservation opportunities. I think organizations should try to put targeting like this in the likes of the B&O museum in Baltimore. I see references, and proof, of a half dozen CSX units to be sent to the museum upon their retirement, not including the GP38 3802, which has already shown the successes of such an approach. IIRC, One SD50, One SD40-2,and three GP40-2s are to be sent there upon retirement.

Mike LaBouliere wrote:
St Louis has one on display. VMT has one in need of care. Aren’t there 6 or so running on Shared Assets owned by NS and CSX each?

I’d be more worried about some EL stuff already “saved”

There are few EL locomotives preserved. SD45 3607 is well spoken for. Same with S1 310. U34CH 3372 has a fundraising effort making its way, and is safe. The only "saved" EL unit I would be concerned about in terms of decay would be the 6670/3639. I'm still waiting to see if anyone wants to actually see it preserved and not just in a backlot before it returns to EL colors through natural decay. I might take some notes from Orion Vuillemot if I can get some initial funds through my own means...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm 

What 3 SD45-2s on CSX? They're all gone and have been for a while. The exSCL SD45-2 also at the REDI is supposedly saved, so that's a plus. 8973 got cut up, and 8889 (actually an SD40-2) was retired around 2010.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
cood101 wrote:
In response to other comments, and like I stated earlier, the earlier the better for preservation opportunities. I think organizations should try to put targeting like this in the likes of the B&O museum in Baltimore. I see references, and proof, of a half dozen CSX units to be sent to the museum upon their retirement, not including the GP38 3802, which has already shown the successes of such an approach. IIRC, One SD50, One SD40-2,and three GP40-2s are to be sent there upon retirement.

I once saw the "official" B&O Museum/CSX "wish list" in print. This document was supposedly prepared in the wake of a promised preservation candidate being dismembered for parts by a CSX loco shop before the Museum could be notified. (Oddly, the supposed victim, WM 3798, the last in WM "circus" colors, is supposedly still running on a Genesee & Wyoming property in Panama City, Florida as of this spring....) The purpose of the list was supposedly to give the B&O Museum the chance to claim any such equipment before dismantling, demolition, etc. (and, yes, a couple buildings were actually on the list as well--more for such things as cranes or turntables). Preservation was not guaranteed, I was told--it only kept more "accidents" from happening.

I distinctly remember B&O 3802 being on the list (account of Trains' "typical average diesel loco" selection) as well as a GP40 and one SD40/SD40-2 (I don't think they were specific as to which one yet), but I don't think an SD50 had yet made the cut--though, come to think of it, they might have been the last to be lettered B&O, if with Chessie paint in the 1980s. (And, hey--what about GE's?)

Quite a bit of the stuff on the list, in the form of various vintage freight cars in maintenance of way service or isolated sidings, did end up at the Museum, though a few were later scrapped or handed off to other parties.

The caveat, however, is that, to my knowledge and memory, this "official list" was prepared in the John Hankey era when a few other "railfans" were also in charge of collections and maintenance, or at the very least long before the 2004 roundhouse roof collapse which "rearranged" their priorities. I'm 99% certain that no one who assisted in the assembly of that list, either at CSX or at the Museum, is still in any position of authority at either location.

It is my personal assessment that said "hit list" of future "museum donations" from CSX might just as well not exist any more. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.......... I'll even order up the crow sauce myself......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:07 pm 

Alexander, upon further going back in my documents, the supposed units to be headed for the museum are as follows.

B&O 4447, which was the last GP40-2 delivered to Chessie.
B&O GM50, the EMD 50th anniversary locomotive.
B&O 8595, SD50, the last locomotive delivered to the B&O.
B&O 7600, the B&O's first SD40-2.

B&O 1977, another GP40-2, is rumored to be on the list of inclusion. This is the B&O 150th anniversary unit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 am 

There were two B&O 1977s. The first one became CSXT 6001 and is currently working in Florence SC on a local yard job. The second is 6392, which last went by a camera working around Toledo in January (don't know what year).

The 4447 I've had a few times, but it was bouncing back and forth as a do-not-lead, shop engine. 6341 is currently working in Baltimore terminal.

GM50 became 6063, I had it a few years ago. I wouldn't have made the connection as to what it was but someone had written GM50 all over the inside as the identifying marks. Currently working a local in Tampa.

B&O 7600 became the 8242. It got modified with RCO and now has that wonderful ugly bulge in the nose because that's where they decided to stick the pullback switch on certain RCO engines. It was working in Queensgate last. That was also the first unit to wear a K5LA horn from the factory, beating the Amtrak F40s that were supposed to debut that horn. Obviously the original is long gone, but beyond two prototypes, 7600 had the first in-service K5LA made, developed by Deane Ellsworth.

8595 may be in the most danger, as it's been stored in Waycross (with a ton of other stuff) for a year or two.

Aside from 8242's RCO bulge, these engines have fared extremely well. None of the GP40-2s were victims of the dash-3 rebuilt program that was going full-swing until Hunter Harrison took over. Honestly, I'm not sure how worth it'd be saving something rebuilt so much that it bore little resemblance to it's original appearance...both inside and out. (Long hood, fuel tank, and prime mover the same...new everything else)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:36 pm 

I can confirm that CSXT 8954 has been donated and can be considered "safe". The recipient can tell you more when they're ready, but to date the unit is unmolested. Plans to get it out of the REDI center are currently being made.

CSX deserves some appreciation for recognizing the historical significance of both units and supporting getting them to good homes. It's unfortunate that the donation of 8973 didn't work out, but sadly we don't live in "perfect".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

etalcos wrote:
I can confirm that CSXT 8954 has been donated and can be considered "safe". The recipient can tell you more when they're ready, but to date the unit is unmolested. Plans to get it out of the REDI center are currently being made.

CSX deserves some appreciation for recognizing the historical significance of both units and supporting getting them to good homes. It's unfortunate that the donation of 8973 didn't work out, but sadly we don't live in "perfect".

Do you have any information on how the donation of 8973 fell through?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:58 pm 

There was a misunderstanding between the railroad and contractor/contractor's employees. By the time CSX got to him he had 15 minutes with the unit and the shear. 8973 lost the fight. The silver lining, is that EVERYONE understands now that 8954 is not to be touched and a heightened sense of urgency to get it to its new home.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:09 pm 

So "Didn't work out" is code for "contractor screw-up". Not the first time that has ever happened to a locomotive that was supposed to be saved, I can guarantee that.

Shouldn't CSX have 3 more of the EL SD45-2s on roster? I know one is on Conrail's Shared Assets, but the other two are in storage I want to say? I can only account for the scrapping of this one, and the one that went to the Ohio Central a decade ago from CSX. Add in the two RMBN units from 15 years ago and you wind up with a total of 9 EL SD45-2s still around of the 13 originals.

I have no doubt, however, that NS 1700 will find a good home when it's done. SOU 3170 is "retired" but still doing revenue service on the TVRM. N&W 1580 is operable but sits in Altoona. (Hey, with NS's current power cruch, how about they reactivate the 1580 for a year like 3170?) It's a shame a contractor screw up can be the line between saved or scrapped sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:45 am 

I wonder just how many times a contractor has 'screwed up' like that...

We had one come in to cut some cars up on a shortline I worked for. One car, an old flat, was in the same string of cars because it was at the end of the track, and some of the ones blocking it could not be moved anymore. We spray painted SAVE in large print all over it. The yardmaster had a meeting with the contractor boss, pointing to that car several times, we have plans for it, don't cut it up. No problem he was told.

Came in the next morning, and the flat was sliced dang near across in the middle, they started at that end of the string unlike the original plan. The cut was right through one of the SAVE markings... Now before you say his workers must not be too bright, he was sitting in his truck, drinking his coffee, FACING THE FLATCAR while they cut. His response, OPPS... Needless to say, a call to the head guy got them all thrown off the property. And a 1942 Southern flat died a needless death. I think he figured if they cut it, they could get the $$ for the steel in it too. If they get far enough along, even if you discover the mistake, it is too late.

I am glad to hear that several of the Erie SD45-2's will be saved.

It was funny about the 3170, it had been painted and set on the NCTM lead. Suddenly it was pulled back and hauling trains! Then it landed at TVRM. Fun fact, when I was 12 my dad took me to ride 611 up Saluda. The 3170 was a helper. That trip cemented my desire to be a railroader for a living, so it was really cool to get to climb aboard the 3170 almost 24 years later. And I am a 611 crew member now too. Strange thing this circle of life.