It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Status of a couple of steam shops?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm 

I'm updating the section of my webpage with listings for steam locomotive repair/service shops and suppliers. Quite a few URL's were dead and have been updated or corrected. I'm trying to confirm the status of a couple of these outfits:

Can anyone confirm if Bob Yuill (Historic Machinery Services Corporation) is still doing steam work? His website is no more.

Also, J David Conrad was doing steam work with "Steam Locomotive Services, Inc.". I know he retired from the Valley RR a couple of years ago. Is he still doing steam work?

If anyone has any other comments or suggestions for additions to the page, I'd appreciate hearing from you. The list is at: http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/r_links.html

There's a linked list of companies at the top of the page and a linked index at the bottom with companies listed by the services they provide.

Post subject: Re: Status of a couple of steam shops?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 pm 

Thanks for keeping your list alive and up to date. I refer to it myself every few months.

I believe that Bob Yuill has completely retired from steam locomotive work with the exception of occasional work on #611.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm 

Thanks for that info, Kelly. I'm glad to know you look at it occasionally. Come to think of it, I found that the URL for your shop had changed and I fixed that.

I also added a couple of new listings today. Any other corrections/additions will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:35 pm 

Yes, Bob Yuill has completely retired. From what I see, he is also very much enjoying his retirement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 pm 

elueck wrote:
Yes, Bob Yuill has completely retired. From what I see, he is also very much enjoying his retirement.

Good for Bob.

Does anyone know about the status of Southwest Steam Services? This was started by Ron Larson, formerly Chief Mechanical Officer and Road Foreman for the steam operations of the Tarantula RR some years ago. They never had a website.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am 

Greetings:
At this time I am concentrating on the completion of a 2nd edition of "The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America".
I am also working on a small volunteer project at Illinois Railway Museum.
However, I remain open to other options as time permits.
Thanks for remembering that I once did things other than research and typing!
Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm 

whodom wrote:
elueck wrote:

Good for Bob.

Does anyone know about the status of Southwest Steam Services? This was started by Ron Larson, formerly Chief Mechanical Officer and Road Foreman for the steam operations of the Tarantula RR some years ago. They never had a website.

I saw Ron a few years ago when I was at the Texas State RR. He had given up on steam railroading and working as an aircraft mechanic on vintage war birds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm 

Earl Knoob wrote:
whodom wrote:

I saw Ron a few years ago when I was at the Texas State RR. He had given up on steam railroading and working as an aircraft mechanic on vintage war birds.

Thanks much for that update.