It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PRR GG-1 to be booted from Harrisburg Station?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm 

Could be done. Even if the brakes are not in working order they could use a string of ballast hoppers loaded before and aft the GG1 as breaking power. Flexible hoses can connect the two car strings.

When Bigboy 4018 was moved they used loaded tank cars before and aft for braking purposes. Comes down to Amtrak and their willingness to move the G on their track the short distance to SRR.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Amtrak has anything BUT will.

Over several years, I have been in informal, off-the-record discussions with several Amtrak officials--at the top, in Washington, mechanical and special monements--over the possibility of moving 4876 out of Baltimore to a new location that would have been along Amtrak trackage. (NO, NOT Washington Union Terminal.)

The reaction I got was "Never, not in a thousand years, will never happen, don't even............... What's that? The boss wants 4935 moved to Union for the hundredth anniversary of WUT? How soon, and where is it now?"

I went back after that, knowing what the answer would be: "That order came from the top, for a once-in-a-century PR event. Don't even think of asking to move THAT hunk of junk!"

And these guys were railfans of sorts. In an era when Boardman authorized a "Farewell to the AEM7" and "Autumn Express" excursions.

At least one of those officials should be retiring soon. I shudder to think what the replacement scenario will be, given current Amtrak management.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am 

4859 is not the 4876!

My comment was in relation to a scenario in which Amtrak, as part of an overall deal with the chapter to relocate the locomotive, could agree to moving it to Strasburg for the aforementioned GG1 event, then move it to a new permanent display location when such location is ready for the 4859. From my perspective such a move would be a low investment way for AMTK to create positive PR spin from the relocation project. Of course the RRMPA would have to want to do such an event as well, but that could also be seen as a way to generate interest in a future GG1 restoration. Heck, perhaps that would be a way to get a quick coat of paint on the 4800 to "tide it over" until its turn in the restoration shop.

Just a "railfan" here tossing out some ideas. But wasn't it some "railfans" who tossed out ideas in the 1980s that resulted in 4859 being displayed at Harrisburg in the first place?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 am 

I think a gathering of several GG1's for the singular purpose of raising funds to repair other GG1's has a certain positive cachet. A few issues at the offset have already been mentioned, but I'll repeat them:

Who is willing to host?
Who is willing to put their GG1 inline for the show, and for how long?
Would the local mainline RR be willing to donate transport and return home?
Insurance?
Cosmetic paint renewal?
Night shots under catenary with steam generators?
If it was RMPA, get the DD1 painted up, pronto!

My personal favorites to be attended to for repair are the 4876, the two in upstate NY.
Just a thought on another rambling subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Lest you forget:

Strasburg's connection to the outside rail network is owned and controlled by Amtrak.

Even if you rope Norfolk Southern into the picture as a freight operator serving the RR, if it's not normal interchange passing normal AAR interchange rules in 2018, you would need Amtrak authorization to get a GG1 in or out of Strasburg, even for the hop between Leaman Place and Lancaster.

We all know that "common sense" says that shouldn't be a problem. Amtrak thinks otherwise, in my experience. Now, it's possible they might treat the recently-travelled-over-Amtrak 4935 differently. But any other GG1?

CSX? See their approach to steam locomotives. The GG1 suffers from the same "not standard" issues. (Now, for all we know, there may be some changes transpiring along those lines, as hinted by others--but believe it when it happens."

I dunno, maybe Kansas City Southern would be amenable? <:-D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am 

I should clarify that my original thought for a GG1 "Great Gathering" type of event would involve only 4800, 4935 (already at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania) and 4859 at Harrisburg. I concur with other contributors that moving GG1s from other locations would be prohibitively difficult. Additionally, the costs of moving additional GG1s would consume funds that would otherwise be used for restoration and conservation.

Richard Glueck mentioned the following:
Quote:
A few issues at the offset have already been mentioned, but I'll repeat them:

Who is willing to host?
Who is willing to put their GG1 inline for the show, and for how long?
Would the local mainline RR be willing to donate transport and return home?
Insurance?
Cosmetic paint renewal?
Night shots under catenary with steam generators?
If it was RMPA, get the DD1 painted up, pronto!

Before getting too deep into the specifics of such an event, I think the bigger question is to what is the net revenue that could be expected. Is there enough interest among enthusiasts in terms of creating staged photo events to generate revenue that would benefit both RMPA and the NRHS chapter and to cover direct costs? Would the event be significant enough to attract sponsorship from one or more model manufacturers?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 am 

Just thought I’d let everyone know the locomotive and caboose are now out in the elements. Went railfanning today and discovered that Amtrak moved her forward a few hundred feet. The rumor came true and she is no longer under the station, but next to one of the uncovered platforms. Sadly, it won’t let me post a picture.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Just thought I’d let everyone know the locomotive and caboose are now out in the elements. Went railfanning today and discovered that Amtrak moved her forward a few hundred feet. The rumor came true and she is no longer under the station, but next to one of the uncovered platforms. Sadly, it won’t let me post a picture.

Some fact checking may be in order here -- according to a message on another board, the GG1 was moved to allow Amtrak to do some construction work.

Not the first time this has happened.

Bob H