It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 am 

While NIMBYS are almost always a problem, living here, i can tell you in this situation this is not the case. The residents of Noblesville are supportive of both the museum and the railroad itself, and have made their feelings known that they are onto this deliberate local government scam/take down and plan to do something about it at the next election. Just ask anyone who lives here....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:58 am 

What is the wstatus on the D&H Pay Car?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:58 am 

What is the status on the D&H Pay Car?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 am 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
They have not scrapped or moved near as much as it sounds like. For those allergic to facebook, these pictures are rows and rows and deep long rows of cars, out in the woods, not even looking like they have been touched at all. Most of these cars don't look bad at all...almost ready to run and/or display. There just aint no way to get that much stuff moved in the next month, forget the next two days....

But some of those cars are spoken for, even if they haven't been moved yet. For instance there's a picture of a PRR baggage car which now has KSHC reporting marks. It's saved, even if it's onsite still.

As I'm flipping through the pictures I thought "I like that outside braced NKP box car", but it's also saved by Age of Steam.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 am 

colfaxstation wrote:
What is the status on the D&H Pay Car?

Going to the IronHorse Museum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 am 

A trip in the wayback machine, this appears to be where things started downhill for ITM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi_RhbAIpbg

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am 

Where is the new site for the surviving equipment in Kokomo?

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 pm 

I wonder what the shipping on the battery electric to western MA would be? I wonder how hard it would be to convert it to run on 240-300VDC? No I might not be an expert of apparently this is just a metal box with Electronics inside unlike a trolley which has a bunch of fancy wood work...

P.S. this is just arm chair speculating here don't read too much into it.

Last edited by RCD on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:46 pm 

Being a DC machine it would not be too hard to convert to those voltages. You would need some big honking power resistors and other somewhat hard to find parts.

I was thinking about the idea of replacing the batteries with Nickel Iron or Nickel Cadmium batteries and have a smaller version of the battery locos the London Underground uses for MOW work. The new batteries would have to be sourced from overseas and would cost $10,000 to $20,000 dollars.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm 

It's my understanding that there are no longer any batteries in Twin Branch battery/electric number 4. Also, note that the pantograph is missing from the unit.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:17 pm 

From the "Ahead of the Torch" facebook group:
"A different kind of post from me everyone: I'm working with a few to try and save the Indianapolis Street Railway car #153 built by Brill in 1935.

Currently the only surviving car from the Indianapolis streetcar network from what I'm told. A critical piece to save.

I've been trying to find a buyer/organization to take it on, but to no avail at this time. A number of people have offered space, etc if we get it, but that isn't the issue.

I'm already associated with a group that is going to have it's fair share of work ahead in moving equipment out, and we have a location the car can be sent to, indoors to await restoration/sale to another museum.

The key here is funding of a move to the property. I know some of you have offered support for a number of different pieces financially, so here's my ask on this one.

The estimated cost of transportation would likely be $4,000-$6,000 off the ITM property and to our facility. We can take the car on, but are stretched nearly to our capacity in moving other pieces.

Would any individuals here be willing to contribute to the move of this car to safety? Time is of the essence.

Any funds would be recorded, and the donor would be informed continuously about our efforts, and a plan would emerge rapidly about the future for the car.

Thank you all for your efforts, communication, and support!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
PMC wrote:
"A different kind of post from me everyone: I'm working with a few to try and save the Indianapolis Street Railway car #153 built by Brill in 1935.

There was word a couple hours ago that it has found a willing savior.

I offered my condolences and sympathy. It's REALLY rough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
PMC wrote:

There was word a couple hours ago that it has found a willing savior.

I offered my condolences and sympathy. It's REALLY rough.

I saw that, I think the issue is the $4-6000 he says it would cost to move it. If you were creative I wonder if you could move a streetcar shell without trucks for less than that, but I'm not there to prove it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 pm 

Hello all,

I did see something over on AOTT Facebook page that caught my attention....

Apparently there is a Noblesville Park and Recreation Board meeting tonight....

http://www.cityofnoblesville.org/parks/ ... topicid=58

According to a copy of the agenda which was shared on Facebook, there appears to be a line item regarding the "abandoned equipment" and a ITM site clean up...

Was any of the RYPN regulars at that meeting? and if so,... What happened?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Thats not encouraging news. Noblesville City is filled with very ignorant stupid politicians.

They are planning most likely to scrap anything left behind that is not claimed.

Let me get this straight, someone who won't post with his or her real name:

Name-calling and unfounded accusations like this IS EXACTLY WHY rail enthusiasts, and by association rail preservationists, have a horrendous image as juvenile, amateurish, unprofessional, and lacking in even the most basic social skills.

And the true professionals in the field have to combat the negative images promoted by the likes of this garbage every day.

Indeed, if I were a moderator, as much as I have libertarian feelings and believe in letting people's words highlight for themselves their relative brilliance or ignorance, I would have deleted your comment as completely counter-productive to the current situation.

As it turns out:
1) The meeting was scheduled for 6 PM Wednesday, Noblesville time (I dunno whether that's EDT, CDT, or Indiana "summer time"), i.e. probably going on as I type;
2) The reports I have from intelligence from "our front-line troops" seem to indicate that the Parks & Recreation Board is giving consideration at this meeting to extending the legal deadline for the removal of railroad equipment from the site, and doing so in a legally acceptable and unambiguous manner so as not to have a Sheriff saying "sorry, but I got my orders here from the court....." on Friday morning.

We've already had numerous accounts from the "troops" that the authorities are being acceptably gracious and willing to work in concert with good-faith, sincere efforts to follow through to the desired end of evacuation of the site. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, STOP DENIGRATING THEM until such time as they actually DO roll in with a City bulldozer and start laying waste to the stuff........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 39  Next