It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am 

Once again I am asking: What happened to the two locomotive cranes? They were reported as going to the Monon Connection Museum. Did they?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:13 am 

John:
I'm sure they rank as high as the Baldwin diesel does in terms of saving them. The crane saves the best of the museum items but probably gets scrapped because it's nothing more than a crane !
SAD !!!!

Kevin Kohls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

Someone on AOT facebook compiled this list of what must have sold through a process of elimination:

:GTW caboose
:4 wooden boxcars
:ACL diner
:W&LE business car
:PRR baggage
:GE 44-tonner
:Gulf tank car

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:02 am 

If you read the additional requirements...pdf attached to each on Ozark...
You might note that even a scrapper would have to move them off property to dispose of them....that likely puts them out of reason for scrapping right now...unless there's a convenient site very close by....
Moving them is the major factor, with no rail connection, it's either truck to rail or all the way... That's probably going to be in the $30k range per piece, with crane costs, etc...
With the condition of the stuff, they need to come down on the pricing...
The most I could see offering, not having seen it in person...only pictures, would be maybe $75-$100k for everything that's left....engines, freight and pax cars, etc...and whatever is in them....
5-6 locomotives, 3 pax cars....not counting the freight cars....is going to be around $240k to move.....it gets into big money very fast....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:17 am 

eze240 wrote:
If you read the additional requirements...pdf attached to each on Ozark...
You might note that even a scrapper would have to move them off property to dispose of them....that likely puts them out of reason for scrapping right now...unless there's a convenient site very close by....
Moving them is the major factor, with no rail connection, it's either truck to rail or all the way... That's probably going to be in the $30k range per piece, with crane costs, etc...
With the condition of the stuff, they need to come down on the pricing...
The most I could see offering, not having seen it in person...only pictures, would be maybe $75-$100k for everything that's left....engines, freight and pax cars, etc...and whatever is in them....
5-6 locomotives, 3 pax cars....not counting the freight cars....is going to be around $240k to move.....it gets into big money very fast....

I saw the PDF on ORM, I'm not sure if the city is trying to avoid further environmental issues (a possibility) or is sympathetic to the historic equipment - or both!

CD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 pm 

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index ... ic=21274.0

Something interesting that ITM had squirreled away, a turntable on a TTTX flat at the Indianapolis water plant (third photo in the OP, I tried to post the photo but couldn't resize it), still there as of June 14.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 pm 

This is the table from the old B&O Moorefield Yards on the west side of Indianapolis, and has been at the water co for many, many years, and undoubtedly will leave it in a scrap truck, as will the rest of the line, which is due to be pulled up by the end of July.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:05 pm 

Not a lot new, but does have an interview with the ITM chairman:

https://tuggingandtrammingblog.blogspot ... ation.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:18 pm 

Appears NKP #91 (44 Tonner) was seen yesterday heading south through Tennessee.
Anyone know who the new owner is? TVRM?

Video by ravenhawk6910.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMiGCiX ... Hia_kijKWo

Attachment:
NKP 91.JPG
NKP 91.JPG [ 42.28 KiB | Viewed 14689 times ]

(Sarcastic Remark): I wonder what made them cut the cab off?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 am 

Yeah. that cab doesn't add that much height on a GE 44, so it really seems a waste. The cab has both an outer shell and an inner liner, and none of it will be right again. Maybe it's going to scrap.

Anyway, that's precisely how *not* to move a GE 44. A couple people have roll-on gooseneck flatbeds just the right length to fit a GE 44. (29'2" is what you need to fit it). They line up with the track (cab facing the engine), detach the front part of the trailer, build ramps, roll the engine onto it, disassemble ramps, reattach the front part of the trailer and off she goes. Takes 2-3 hours at each end, tops. They might need special high-wide permits, but they're not *that* high-wide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 am 

Did the same company move that Monon diesel?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am 

robertmacdowell wrote:
Yeah. that cab doesn't add that much height on a GE 44, so it really seems a waste. The cab has both an outer shell and an inner liner, and none of it will be right again. Maybe it's going to scrap.

Anyway, that's precisely how *not* to move a GE 44. A couple people have roll-on gooseneck flatbeds just the right length to fit a GE 44. (29'2" is what you need to fit it). They line up with the track (cab facing the engine), detach the front part of the trailer, build ramps, roll the engine onto it, disassemble ramps, reattach the front part of the trailer and off she goes. Takes 2-3 hours at each end, tops. They might need special high-wide permits, but they're not *that* high-wide.

They moved the ex PRR 44 tonner 9339 from the South Carolina Railroad Museum to NJ on a trailer just like that. I got the loco operational, and we removed the coupler on the neck end of the trailer and drove it on the trailer. Fit perfectly and no cab removal. I want to say it was Silk Road transport.

Last edited by airforcerail on Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am 

I was in Noblesville on Monday the 19th and they had finished the loading. I was stunned to see they had cut the top of the cab off, when several of these have been moved by just rolling them onto a lowboy of the proper size.

I did not ask anyone where they were taking the locomotive, but it was not the same company that moved most of the other equipment out of the former ITM site. The semi tractor had a Georgia location under the name on the cab door.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 am 

AlcoC420 wrote:
I was in Noblesville on Monday the 19th and they had finished the loading. I was stunned to see they had cut the top of the cab off, when several of these have been moved by just rolling them onto a lowboy of the proper size.

I did not ask anyone where they were taking the locomotive, but it was not the same company that moved most of the other equipment out of the former ITM site. The semi tractor had a Georgia location under the name on the cab door.

An indicator of her future would be `how was the cab roof removed? Sawzall or Torch? If Sawzall than most likely she will be back together soon, as you can weld that gap closed without changing the windows. If cut with a torch... a lot harder to weld back together cleanly.

Just my opinion,
Rich C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 am 

crij wrote:
AlcoC420 wrote:

An indicator of her future would be `how was the cab roof removed? Sawzall or Torch? If Sawzall than most likely she will be back together soon, as you can weld that gap closed without changing the windows. If cut with a torch... a lot harder to weld back together cleanly.

I doubt scrap. Why move a locomotive from Indiana to Georgia just to scrap it?
However, weirder things have happened...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next