It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm 

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Scranton Yard wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/n8myc/21241462276/

Is this a sister to the ex MOW ex NYC Baggage Car that is stored under Grand Central Terminal?

No, that car is ex-PRR.

-otto-

They appear to be very similar.

Attachments:
File comment: GCT Baggage from thechive.com
Baggage GCT.jpg
Baggage GCT.jpg [ 301.48 KiB | Viewed 12697 times ]
File comment: ITM Baggage Car courtesy of Bob McGilvray Jr. flickr
Baggage ITM.jpeg
Baggage ITM.jpeg [ 79.83 KiB | Viewed 12697 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 pm 

If we are tracking NYC baggage cars, don’t forget the collection in Adams, PA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

robertjohndavis wrote:
If we are tracking NYC baggage cars, don’t forget the collection in Adams, PA.

Thank you. Great work with the Ahead of the Torch FB page getting the word out on the activity in Noblesville.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

Last edited by NS 3322 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:17 pm 

Anyone have enough sense to at least save the trucks under the sleeper car? Pass car trucks are always sought after by those have cars without trucks. They could be moved off site and resold on Ozark.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm 

ebtrr wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Hmm, I am under the impression that if one can show proof of ownership that certain assets can be moved off ITM property even after the deadline.

If ITM had any brains they might have been able to transfer ownership temporally. New owner could show proof of ownership and move the stock and then ITM could claim it later. ITM would be footing the bill for moving though.

Sure, there's something to be said for that approach, after all, Cuyahoga Valley Acquisition LLC does not owe anyone its list of Members, especially when it's formed in Wyoming or other states which conceal member lists. So nothing would stop ITM from selling a car to CVALLC etc. This has surely occurred to the City, but I'm not sure what they would or could do about it.

Quote:
This is a subject of extensive debate over at AOTT. The City of Noblesville has been giving assurances to private owners that they can get their equipment out after the deadline, but the court order specifies the Hamilton County Sheriff will oversee the liquidation of what remains, so the city may be making assurances that they cannot uphold.

Yeah, what creeping death said, it's the city's judgment and theirs to enforce, make exceptions, or haggle from, as they please.

And I have seen many times when Parties have mutually agreed to something different than the court order. Classically a woman with a restraining order agreeing to interact with their restrainee: it is her right, there isn't any big brother heavy hand of the law smacking her and going "What is Wrong with you girlfriend? He ain't good for you!" Same here, it's the city's judgment. A third party could intervene with an alternate plan that is 3-way beneficial. They can exchange the judgment value for something else. They could settle for less than the judgment.

You can always settle.

That's why I say "ain't over til..."

Fact is the city's interests are changing as they watch all the valuable pieces slip away. With inheriting 587 and the tourist train now off the table, it's a different game. And they have to play the game that is in front of them.

So yeah, I don't see where the order restrains the City from working out some arrangement with ITM or private owners. It's the City's judgment.

Quote:
The only sure measure at this point is to get it out bey the 12th.

Well there simply isn't enough bandwidth at the one transload location for that to even be a possibility. Of course there's another location I saw a crew load a reefer onto, using semi bogeys that substitute for RR trucks, and thumb-guessing from the 66,000 lb weight of a Budd car off its trucks, I guess the 4-axle truck could haul them without being overweight. However there is only one such truck and the roundtrip is 5 hours not counting loading and they still need to pull permits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:56 pm 

It’s Adamstown, not Adams (my bad) where there are 2 or 3 baggage cars that once made up an antique dealer’s shop. I forget if confirmation of NYC lineage came from something painted on the cars themselves, or if someone had researched their background.

Between these cars and the Shirey collection, there’s a lot of historic railway equipment in that area.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:56 pm 

Last edited by NS 3322 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:29 pm 

j32885 wrote:
Looking at Google ITM roster page as to ownership...MTO

What Does It Stand For?

Sorry Dumb Question Moment....

j32885 -

Not a dumb question; I wondered the same thing myself. Noticed no answer received, but was on an Indiana Railroads website today and the same question had come up. Someone replied that it might mean "Must Truck Out". Don't know if that is correct or not, but it does seem to fit.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:23 pm 

How many pieces a day are they moving out?

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:35 pm 

An interesting window on this debacle can be seen here from 7/5
https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2018/07/last-train-from-noblesville.html
and here from 7/8
https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2018/07/iliupersis.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 pm 

I'm not sure as I only stuck my nose in about 6pm. But I know today a reefer car departed which had already been loaded onto a special dolly rig on Sunday (the Indiana Hwy Dept. says you don't roll on Sabbath).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ecxQ5 ... gK0T4a56KX
This dolly rig was slick; the rear unit had a railroad fight car saucer and pin with a series of concentric rings to adapt to anything, and a crossbar to pick up the side pads on the carbody, which it would be chained to. Then the crossbar could be pivoted using a hydraulic powerpack, to effectively steer the rear wheels if needed. This appeared to be for maneuvering it in tight spots.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ecxQ5 ... gK0T4a56KX
The front machine had the same saucer arrangement and a long gooseneck fit for passenger cars (overkill for this reefer).

I see a transfer caboose cued up in that transload position, which I presume is for that truck to take tomorrow. I think that rig could handle a Budd and I surely hope it does instead.

A larger version of such a rig had come down from Minnesota. The two big cranes were occupied with adapting it to fit the Budd cars, and a great deal of welding and cutting had been happening. This did not get out tonight as there's a prohibition on high-wide at night too. The Budds off their trucks weigh 66,000 lbs.

The more I watch this, the luckier I feel at having gotten NYC 4331 out of nearby Carthage in short November days, on the timetable I did, and the price I paid feels ever more reasonable.

Kentucky Steam did the last of their tidying up for their tender and small parts move tomorrow morning. I was struck to see the unruly pile of those 200 tubes neatly re-banded in bundles of 37, which tells me what they did all day. It could not possibly have been an easy job.

ITM proper crews have been working very hard to empty out boxcars. Some of the boxcars are simply too heavy to truck out fully loaded.

The Twin Branch battery electric locomotive is back on the endangered list.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wv4dy ... 1MCt2RfFfO

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 182.62 KiB | Viewed 11916 times ]

Last edited by robertmacdowell on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:50 pm 

With fingers crossed hoping the VO-1000 is moving out shortly followed by the Milw F7B unit and F7A unit.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:44 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
o anderson wrote:

The photos alone are worth the visit; the details even more so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:22 pm 

Updated disposition list from Ahead of the Torch:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =858139899

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next