It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:58 am 

robertjohndavis wrote:
superheater wrote:
"In other words, they would rather torch it than leave it behind."

I fail to see why they should leave something behind for somebody else to capitalize on. If they did, it would only encourage this sort of stuff in the future.

I guess it comes down to whether we think our mission is to collect old trains or to preserve artifacts.

If the asset has historic value, its survival should trump all else, even when that is a hard pill to swallow. If one wants to argue that winning a pissing match is more important...

Until it's your ox getting gored :(

You don't know how rough they played in Pemberton, Creede, Kingston or Noblesville. And we won't know how rough they're playing in your situation. You'll expect us to take it on faith, won't you? You'll depend on it.

Quote:
The good news is that we’ll never find out how far the “scorched earth” policy would have gone at ITM. Fortunately for the assets’ sake (as as everyone here knows) AOS, the Kentucky steam team, Jason & the #503 donors, and a handful of other individuals and organizations have been able to step in and bail out most of the assets.

Mind you that happened BECAUSE ITM LET THEM. I don't know how many times you've raced the torch, but I've done it a few times and every *other* time, the owner/scrapper has said "you could've asked any time in the last 10 years and gotten a yes, fool. Now my plans are set, so shag off."

Now here I am on the grounds at 11:59 and they want to work with me. You don't get how rare that is.

Quote:
Had they not, the “if I can’t have it, you can’t have it” outcome would have been catastrophic from an historic preservation POV.

Neville Chamberlain thought that too. But he wasn't looking long term. Other evildoers are watching. If "wreck a railroad museum, steal their stuff" works here, it'll be tried in dozens of other places with much better collections (no offense). And in *those* scuffles, a lot of good stuff will be lost.

I respect your opinion here but I must take Churchill's view. Better to stop the scuffles from happening in the first place, by showing the evildoers they don't work.

Last edited by robertmacdowell on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:03 am 

An updated list of equipment has been posted at AOTT and a lot more equipment appears to have homes to go to. The VO1000 is to go to Kokomo.

A Pennsy hopper, D&H wood coach, and NYC baggage car still need saviors.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L0FOAwgXiMG3NmTVkA6ZFAF5v1tCf1pgqd2nh11zy4g/edit#gid=858139899

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:03 pm 

It's good news about the VO-1000. I was worried about loosing another Baldwin switcher.

Appears one passenger car is set for scrap monday. ACL 2785. Wonder what condition it's in and why it's slated for scrap?

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The latest from-the-scene roster is posted here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1zy4g/edit

Quick highlights:

All diesels, including the Baldwin and F units, are "spoken for" and are supposed to be saved (with the caveat that anything retained by ITM should still theoretically be considered in jeopardy until it actually leaves).

Indianapolis Street Railway 153 is considered the only electric/traction vehicle likely to be scrapped--I'm not sure if it's a "basket case" beyond redemption or not, but it's supposedly the ONLY survivor of that system.

The fleet of fourteen 1937 Santa Fe Budds (weren't they ex-NJ Transit?) is being retained, as are three Lackawannas and a CNJ car.

Listed as to be scrapped Monday or Tuesday are the 1884 wooden NKP caboose and the 1949 ACL 10-6 sleeper Marion County.

MOST of the freight cars have been snapped up by Age of Steam, TVRM, or other private owners, with ITM retaining a couple, apparently for storage. Still up for grabs is PRR 1957 H34c covered hopper 257784 and a couple L&N steel box cars.

Many of these pieces are still in a state of flux as to final ownership, eventual homes, etc. But I find myself satisfied that the entire "if we can't have it, we'll scrap it to keep anyone else from having it" blather is COMPLETE BALDERDASH. It appears that MOST of the collection, somewhere around 90% of it, is either finding new homes or supposedly being retained by ITM (how well that latter part goes should be open to debate--get the popcorn, and be ready to swoop in should someone else continue to screw up).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:33 pm 

Looking at Google ITM roster page as to ownership...MTO

What Does It Stand For?

Sorry Dumb Question Moment....

I'm just Very Happy to see NKP 587 + supporting rolling stock going to the Kentucky Steam group. Hopefully 587 returns home someday. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:14 pm 

Spent half the day helping Chris from Kentucky Steam move flues and tubes out of a wood sided boxcar.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The fleet of fourteen 1937 Santa Fe Budds (weren't they ex-NJ Transit?) is being retained, as are three Lackawannas and a CNJ car.

Several Budds, 3 Lacks and the CNJ car are stored at a friendly offsite (I spent awhile talking to the owner of the offsite), however this isn't good news; prior to that they were stored where the vandals really got em.

Quote:
I find myself satisfied that the entire "if we can't have it, we'll scrap it to keep anyone else from having it" blather is COMPLETE BALDERDASH.

Confirmed! NOBODY is talking that talk. Well, me a little, but I'm nobody.

Quote:
Listed as to be scrapped Monday or Tuesday are the 1884 wooden NKP caboose and the 1949 ACL 10-6 sleeper Marion County.

Confirmed.

Nobody wants the 1884 caboose? Come on antiscrappers, it's a great starter project.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UEZrX ... PE-cTguORH
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 107.05 KiB | Viewed 15467 times ]

And here's the 10-6 sleeper that's gonna go.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zHP-y ... 72ojC2kH9l

I am also a bit concerned about the NYC baggage car.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FsSKL ... PtJbOiIPNp

Last edited by robertmacdowell on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:04 pm 

robertmacdowell wrote:
I find myself satisfied that the entire "if we can't have it, we'll scrap it to keep anyone else from having it" blather is COMPLETE BALDERDASH.

Robert - That is good to hear. It will be good for all if the prior comments from ITM reps turn out to be nothing more than posturing. From a distance, those comments were especially troubling. - Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:32 pm 

Tender being readied to leave:

https://www.facebook.com/SavetheNickelP ... OFakCiYp5s

There is a video of the frame and running gear leaving also but I can't make the link work, both available on the "Noblesville Neighbors" facebook page..

Edit: here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/NoblesvilleNei ... 209012143/

Last edited by PMC on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 pm 

robertjohndavis wrote:
robertmacdowell wrote:

Robert - That is good to hear. It will be good for all if the prior comments from ITM reps turn out to be nothing more than posturing. From a distance, those comments were especially troubling. - Rob

It didn't help yesterday that a female executive on Facebook made clear to scrap the collection if they couldn't get it all moved to Logansport. It's almost as if they want to tarnish what reputation they have left. Let me understand something Robert, if the ITM wasn't able to move its collection by the deadline would Noblesville realistically torch the equipment or would they just auction/donate it off separately?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:53 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
It didn't help yesterday that a female executive on Facebook made clear to scrap the collection if they couldn't get it all moved to Logansport. It's almost as if they want to tarnish what reputation they have left. Let me understand something Robert, if the ITM wasn't able to move its collection by the deadline would Noblesville realistically torch the equipment or would they just auction/donate it off separately?

I believe it was actually the ITM Vice Chairman using his wife's FB account. His name is on the bottom of the statement, not hers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 pm 

The only thing I currently heard of that was scrapped that anybody had any qualms about was the sw1. And that only had one truck (the other being a shop truck) and from what I heard it was in pretty bad mechanical condition. If anybody on the board of directors or in charge of that organization is making inflammatory comments about maliciously scrapping equipment I hope they remember their names and home addresses are listed on corporate filings which are easily found online.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:33 pm 

Quote:
Still up for grabs is PRR 1957 H34c covered hopper 257784 and a couple L&N steel box cars.

This Flickr album has photos of a number of ITM freight cars including PRR 257784.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/n8myc/with/21241462236/

ITM restored PRR 257784 a number of years ago and it remains in good condition.

It is an important car in that it shows the emergence of car building and design practices that would become new standards. Covered hoppers like these were common until the 40-year rule forced their retirement.

One of the L&N boxcars is also pictured in the album with a recent coat of paint but no lettering.

A car that caught my eye is the US Navy boxcar with the door at the far end (like a B&O Canstock car) and extra vents. Might this car be housing a gen-set?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
RCD wrote:
If anybody on the board of directors or in charge of that organization is making inflammatory comments about maliciously scrapping equipment I hope they remember their names and home addresses are listed on corporate filings which are easily found online.

NO.

However badly you may think of the ITM BOD as custodians of history, however much you may want to portray them as monsters that eat babies live with hot sauce, DO NOT ENGAGE IN SUCH BEHAVIOR as "doxxing" (for the uninitiated, that's the Internet-based practice of researching and broadcasting private or identifiable information--especially personally identifiable information--about an individual or organization, typically with the intent of making life miserable for the person(s) involved by unleashing Internet "lynch mobs" or real-life threats to their safety or being upon them).

These people, IF indeed they actually made these comments, are ONLY guilty of misinformed or horribly stupid speaking. Even if they actually DID scrap pieces just to keep others from getting them--and, as the evidence I have posted suggests, that is nowhere near the truth--they are STILL within their legal right to do so. They are not scrapping pieces that others with money have made serious offers for. They are not scrapping other people's equipment. They are not setting puppies ablaze, or poisoning people downstream. Nothing they are doing warrants "going personal" against the management of the "Museum." They've done a lot of questionable things, to be sure, but they're already going to suffer. No need to make it worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 pm 

I for one am happy if the current status is correct and all diesels are leaving along with a few passenger cars.

The only car left that I am concerned about is the NYC baggage car. Has the NYC historical society been notified? https://nycshs.org/contact-us/

The ACL car looks like it is wreck damaged and thus might not be worth messing with.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
The only car left that I am concerned about is the NYC baggage car. Has the NYC historical society been notified? https://nycshs.org/contact-us/

NYCSHS does not collect railway equipment, and has no budget for acquisitions. Their only means of regular communication with members is through a printed magazine that comes out four times a year.

Not many NYC heavyweight baggage cars left... Anywhere? It will be a shame if no home can be found for it.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 39  Next