It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 am 

Interesting since the rather expensive cranes are still inside.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm 

Local TV News story on the status

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/loc ... e-property

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 pm 

FEC 90 leaving:

http://railpictures.net/photo/664141/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 am 

robertmacdowell wrote:

I can't see that going on for long. When you take away a man's tools of his trade, he usually starts fighting like a rabid wildcat. When that tool is worth 100's of thousands of dollars, he's going to throw everything he has at you. Seems to me most crane operators are at least somewhat on the 'inside' of the good ol boy systems, so the city/county might count on getting calls from Congressman and Senators and Governors and etc. Can anyone verify if the cranes are STILL inside?

What is more interesting is there seems to be some rumors of buyer's remorse on the equipment still inside. One possibility tossed around was that the buyers are not feeling like they may actually be able to get their equipment out on a timely manner, or ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 am 

It's so much easier to open the gates and let the buyers move the stuff out than deal with the hassles of cleanup and scrapping - let them do their jobs without agonizing over nothing new. The last thing they want or need to deal with are additional complications, they just want it gone and their park back. I don't expect they will wait forever, but won't be unreasonable when it creates issues for themselves. So, if you acquired something, don't screw around and get it moving soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:28 am 

this is like a bad train wreck, I just can't stop looking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am 

I wouldn't think that the city would lock out contractors or owners with valid bills of sale. That'd be counterproductive to the goal. Might take them a day to devise a plan - they probably didn't foresee the flurry or scope of activity. The court action was against ITM, not these others.

Just sayin'..... I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
robertmacdowell wrote:

I can't see that going on for long.

No problem. The crane service just keeps billing ITM until they get their equipment out. I hope ITM has a LOT of money.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Pegasuspinto wrote:
robertmacdowell wrote:

I can't see that going on for long.

No problem. The crane service just keeps billing ITM until they get their equipment out. I hope ITM has a LOT of money.

I'd be willing to bet that side deals have been made to keep the equipment on site so as to avoid the significant MIMO costs. That's not uncommon in heavy construction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:37 am 

im sure this isnt the first time a contrators equipment got locked up on a site. so rest assured there are procedures in place for things like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:14 pm 

An updated list from Ahead of the Torch, with some commentary by its author. William Whitmer.

Quote:
Update!

I'm sure by now a lot of you have seen the post I made just after midnight on Friday, when the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office sealed the property.

The officers and all involved were professional, courteous, and doing their job. I've noticed some highly negative comments directed towards them, and strongly disagree with them. This was a difficult situation for all parties involved during the past few weeks, and the past few years.

I was one of the last ones off property, moving a massive tool chest at 11:58PM. To say we went down to the wire is an understatement. The effort from everyone was an amazing sight to see, and I'm sure it'll be well written about soon.

I've updated the list to the best of my knowledge of what has been removed, sold, and scrapped. I've heard word that Age of Steam possibly didn't close their acquisitions, but have no confirmation of that from anyone at ITM or Age of Steam.

I know that the situation is still in flux regarding access to the property, and the eventual removal of sold equipment. I don't have many details of that, but I know it's on the horizon.

For some reason when I share the list online, it still says as of 7/5/18, but it has been updated since then. You can see when the most recent edit was completed near the top of the list.

I've also taken a few hundred photos of the events over the past few weeks, and will take some time in the near future to organize and share them.

Expect some news over the next few days and weeks as groups announce their plans, projects, and acquisitions. Despite the trouble that led to this point, it's a pretty exciting time for the preservation industry!

Thanks to the moderators, other contributors, and all of you across the country who have been paying attention and networking to mobilize and save history. Couldn't have happened without you.

Teamwork makes the dream work!

The updated list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =858139899

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:49 am 

wc581 wrote:

Wow. Having managed an industrial facility before, this scares me - not to mention a news crew allowed by the city where ITM had a valid leasehold? Seriously?

CD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 am 

I am guessing the news item is filmed after the 12 July possession, because there is zero activity. I repeat my earlier opinion that the community wants this museum gone, even more so after this news item.

I know many of us, have witnessed or participated in operations where storage conditions of oil, chemicals, and batteries were similar. That is not an excuse. It is only a matter of time before we are visited by inspectors raising the same concerns. In my opinion, if you don't recognize this, and the validity of the regulatory concerns, you are in denial.

Oh, and by the way. If I was really concerned about my liability post-city takeover, would I worry about scrapping the rusty, rotten rolling stock, or would I get these chemicals and toxic waste removed from the property? Again, poor choice of priorities. I would have focused on cleaning up the very visible hazardous waste.

p.s. did anyone notice what appeared to be a french 40+8 boxcar on the ground?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 am 

softwerkslex wrote:

p.s. did anyone notice what appeared to be a french 40+8 boxcar on the ground?

Certanly a European style van - It appeared to have a running number of NAD 105 on the end of it (Naval Armaments Depot/Department/Division?).
Is it an example of the European loading gauge rolling stock that the USATC/US Forces operated in Europe during WW2 or later that ended up in a North American supply base as internal use vehicles?

Last edited by 70000 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:50 am 

That video of the 'pollution' was from a year back or so....

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40753&p=262385&hilit=indiana+transportation+spill#p262385

Didn't help but not new...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 39  Next