It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:14 pm 

I believe it was actually the ITM Vice Chairman using his wife's FB account. His name is on the bottom of the statement, not hers.[/quote]
That sounds even worse confusing people for no good reason. These individuals should never be allowed the responsibility of operating a museum ever again. It strikes me that a court didn't just have the ITM dissolved as an organization and its assets sold within due time. Mark my words there are going to endure serious trouble down the road if they continue to harbor this same mindset that we've seen in the last 6 months.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:36 pm 

Otto Vondrak wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
The only car left that I am concerned about is the NYC baggage car. Has the NYC historical society been notified? https://nycshs.org/contact-us/

NYCSHS does not collect railway equipment, and has no budget for acquisitions. Their only means of regular communication with members is through a printed magazine that comes out four times a year.

Not many NYC heavyweight baggage cars left... Anywhere? It will be a shame if no home can be found for it.

-otto-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/n8myc/21241462276/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 pm 

Wow according to the roster sheet only 7 pieces have been moved out so far. This place is in some serious trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:13 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
It strikes me that a court didn't just have the ITM dissolved as an organization and its assets sold within due time.

Not a lawyer, but the most probable reason is that this was an eviction, not a bankruptcy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 pm 

Tom F wrote:
Wow according to the roster sheet only 7 pieces have been moved out so far. This place is in some serious trouble.

By my count, about 47 cars are at their final destiny, three catagories. Those are ITM moved onto ITM property, moved off site, or scrapped. 141 total. So 2/3 remains. Not quite just 7 but that's a lotta cars folks!

The caboose even if it is pretty rotten, looks like a start. Got a frame and trucks, looks like some of the brakes are intact, some of the irons are still in that pile. What would the existing remains likely weigh? Might could even move that on a flatbed behind a 1 ton truck.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 am 

Hmm, I am under the impression that if one can show proof of ownership that certain assets can be moved off ITM property even after the deadline.

If ITM had any brains they might have been able to transfer ownership temporally. New owner could show proof of ownership and move the stock and then ITM could claim it later. ITM would be footing the bill for moving though.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 am 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Tom F wrote:

The caboose even if it is pretty rotten, looks like a start. Got a frame and trucks, looks like some of the brakes are intact, some of the irons are still in that pile. What would the existing remains likely weigh? Might could even move that on a flatbed behind a 1 ton truck.....

I would agree. Pre 1900 cabooses are fairly small and quite rare. I wouldn't imagine the cost of the materials or the labor would be too much for the project. Read many stories of lumber mills donating wood for restoration projects for rail cars. Would make for a good documentary from start to finish. Would hate for it to meet the scrappers torch after it was saved from two World War scrap drives. I would think the trucks have substantial value even if they were put on another rail car.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:07 am 

I have been pushing a bit (from NJ) to see the NKP wood caboose saved. In looking at online photos, it seems to have a steel frame and decent trucks. A group of us took on a similar project out here with a PR N6b. We stripped off the badly rotted body and created a “caboose kit” of sorts. With the body off, the frame could be rolled onto a landoll roll back trailer and carted off to our work site. You would need to have about a 40 yard dumpster for the body remains. Key is to save key elements of the body. Any structural details, even compete sections of walls that could be moved in a pick up or layed down on the frame for the trucking to a new site. Shoot, at a minimum save the darn trucks. Its doable. We proved it and we are making great progress on the rebuild.
J.R.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 am 

When I left last night, the caboose was positioned in the scrapper work area, and the 10/6 sleeper was not. I wouldn't infer anything from that except that the 10/6 sleeper wouldn't fit in the remaining track area available to the scrapper, since much of it was heavily damaged very recently.

Also, the 10/6 wouldn't fit and allow the wide gap needed for us pulling 587 tubes and flues out of the end of a boxcar with a reach forklift. Most of the straps had broken on the tube bundles and nearly 200 had to be hand bombed, though the flue bundles held together. From what I gather of site scheduling, this weekend was the last possible time to do that work, otherwise Age of Steam would've found themselves with a rather overweight boxcar.

Update: the caboose is under the scalpel now, and the 10/6 sleeper is moved up into position.

Last edited by robertmacdowell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 am 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Hmm, I am under the impression that if one can show proof of ownership that certain assets can be moved off ITM property even after the deadline.

If ITM had any brains they might have been able to transfer ownership temporally. New owner could show proof of ownership and move the stock and then ITM could claim it later. ITM would be footing the bill for moving though.

Robert

This is a subject of extensive debate over at AOTT. The City of Noblesville has been giving assurances to private owners that they can get their equipment out after the deadline, but the court order specifies the Hamilton County Sheriff will oversee the liquidation of what remains, so the city may be making assurances that they cannot uphold. The only sure measure at this point is to get it out bey the 12th.

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 am 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Tom F wrote:

By my count, about 47 cars are at their final destiny, three catagories. Those are ITM moved onto ITM property, moved off site, or scrapped. 141 total. So 2/3 remains. Not quite just 7 but that's a lotta cars folks!

The roster, as great as it is, is a bit ambiguous. Clear delineation is made between "sold and still on site" versus "sold and moved offsite". However it is not clear how much of the equipment in Noblesville that ITM is retaining has been moved as no differentiation is made between those being retained and still onsite versus those to be retained and moved offsite.

In any event, it sounds like Age of Steam will be onsite this week and a lot of yellow should turn to green when that happens. Go for the green!

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 pm 

ebtrr wrote:
This is a subject of extensive debate over at AOTT. The City of Noblesville has been giving assurances to private owners that they can get their equipment out after the deadline, but the court order specifies the Hamilton County Sheriff will oversee the liquidation of what remains, so the city may be making assurances that they cannot uphold. The only sure measure at this point is to get it out bey the 12th.

My understanding of RE Law - which is in Texas, not Indiana - is the owners of a real property are free to make agreements about removal of personal property owned by third parties. In other words, the City is free to tell the Sheriff that particular items are stored on the property with permission.
If you live in a rent house that is foreclosed, does all your stuff get tossed?

CD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:28 pm 

In my humble non-legal opinion, the city and sheriff are on the same page. The action is against ITM, not private owners. I can almost guarantee that the sheriff does not want to deal with the disposition of stuff left after the 12th and latitude will be given to others to get their stuff out, provided they show a good faith effort and don't lollygag around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 pm 

PMC wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
The only car left that I am concerned about is the NYC baggage car. Has the NYC historical society been notified? https://nycshs.org/contact-us/

NYCSHS does not collect railway equipment, and has no budget for acquisitions. Their only means of regular communication with members is through a printed magazine that comes out four times a year.

Not many NYC heavyweight baggage cars left... Anywhere? It will be a shame if no home can be found for it.

-otto-

Is this a sister to the ex MOW ex NYC Baggage Car that is stored under Grand Central Terminal?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 pm 

Scranton Yard wrote:

Is this a sister to the ex MOW ex NYC Baggage Car that is stored under Grand Central Terminal?

No, that car is ex-PRR.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next