It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Paid work at a railroad museum
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:15 pm 

The biggest problem for young people is figuring out what job they would like to do after graduating from high school. I tried 5 different jobs before I settled on a trade that lasted for the next 40 years. Most definitely volunteer at a museum or tourist railroad. Learn to get along with people of all ages. Be enthusiastic and stick with someone you are helping, don't wonder off and start texting on your cell phone ever chance you get. Learn to be a good go-fer. Observe people doing different jobs, that will help you decide what kind of career you would like to pursue. Then be willing to relocate for trade school or college and those first and second jobs that will build up your experience and resume. If and when you get married, make sure your spouse is willing to relocate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am 

Stationary Engineer wrote:
The biggest problem for young people is figuring out what job they would like to do after graduating from high school.

Not me. I started in the engine house at the old Heber Creeper at age 16, as soon as I had a driver's licence so I could get there.

I got a call from a Navy recruiter as I was nearing high school graduation, asking me if I knew what I wanted to do. “I want to work on steam locomotives.” was the reply. ...Long silence... “We don’t have any of those.” That ended that conversation.

I have three brothers, all in high paying professional careers; doctor, lawyer, and civil engineer. All three are jealous of me and my career choice, because theirs are just jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:56 pm 

Well said Kelly............................and work well done throughout your career !!
Thank you for all you have done and contributed to the "cause"

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:38 pm 

david griner wrote:
Well said Kelly............................and work well done throughout your career !!
Thank you for all you have done and contributed to the "cause"

Dave

OK. What do you want?