It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Online resource for Westinghouse traction motor info?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:08 pm 

Hello, I am looking for information on the Westinghouse 510-A traction motor (35 hp, built 1921-1931). I already have a detailed parts breakdown but I am looking for something that covers acceptable tolerances, diagnostic procedures, etc.

Direction toward an online resource or personal scans greatly appreciated. My material is showing a curve # of 107761A.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Online resource for Westinghouse traction motor info?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:32 am 

Maybe Gord M. has this?

Information like that on the older motors is a bit hard to find, other than generic
guidance that applies to a broad range of traction motors.

WH510 was a very common streetcar motor.

What's being done to the motor(s)?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 am 

Hello, Jeff - the latest our motors could have been under power would have been around 1965, when our car was at the Magee Transportation Museum. I am assuming that they were exposed to fresh water flooding during Hurricane Agnes, and that the subsequent four decades of outdoor storage have not been kind to them.

We are expecting them to need a full rebuild, but none were locked up which is a good sign that there is still something left to rebuild. I have no idea if they received any care after the flooding, member G. W. Laepple may be able to provide some more info as he was there at the time.

Johnstown cars used WH 510s, we have members checking with Rockhill and a few other places to see if we can find any tolerances or values specific to these motors. I think the 514s(?) are very similar as well.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:22 am 

Indeed, 505 was partially submerged during the Agnes flooding of the Magee Transportation Museum in June, 1972. To my knowledge, the motors were never tested in any way while at Bloomsburg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm 

At National Capital we have had WH510's rebuilt at Kaufman Electric in Baltimore. I am checking with our crew about reference information.

Wesley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:15 pm 

Thank you, Wesley - very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 pm 

Oh I didn't connect the dots at first now I realize what car this is.

Yes, given the history of the motors and how long the flood contamination has been in there,
and assuming you have the funding, your best course of action is a total rewind including new
commutators. Any good motor shop will be able to reconstruct the winding data by simply
examining what is there. There should also be winding diagrams readily available. I know we
have them for GE80, WH101, WH68 and many other older, common motors. We must have
for 510 too. The commutator diameter ("when new") should also be in that information.
But lacking that, you could infer the commutator diameter by moving the brush holders all the
way "up" and then figuring what the comm would be to give about 1/8" clearance to the brush boxes.

From a mechanical standpoint, its all pretty generic. The motor shop will have a machine shop
department which can handle reconditioning the shafts (their bearing surfaces are probably quite
pitted by now) and re-lining the armature bearings. If the bearing housings are worn because the
dowel pins were lose and the bearings were spinning (rocking) then they'd be able to line bore those.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:07 am 

Please check PM.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:36 am 

JeffH wrote:
Maybe Gord M. has this?

Jeff has given good advice in his following post. The 510A was used on Toronto's "Small" Peter Witt cars so we have a fair amount of data on them. I am returning from some work at Exporail in Montreal (oddly enough on a car with 510-A2 motors) and will see what I can dig up next week. Much detailed information on electric traction is, unfortunately, not available online.

Information like that on the older motors is a bit hard to find, other than generic
guidance that applies to a broad range of traction motors.

WH510 was a very common streetcar motor.

What's being done to the motor(s)?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thank you, Gord - let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 pm 

Just an update - we were able to get drawings for the motors. Thanks to everyone for their help.