It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of CNJ Steam
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:00 pm 

I received the following email in Project 113's email and am repeating it here. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

"A few of us are seeking confirmation of a printed statement in the April 1954 Trains magazine article about CPRR steam being used on the CNJ. And possible CNJ steam going to CPRR. No info on why, likely temporary since CNJ was phasing out steam in 1950 decade. Anyone have something solid or a lead where to look?"

Another email suggested that the author got CPRR andCRRP (Central Railroad Of Pennsylvania) mixed up.

Can anybody shed light on the Trains statement?

Bernie

Post subject: Re: End of CNJ Steam
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:37 pm 

Hi Bernie
I not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but this is from a paperback book called America Steam Finale 1955 - 1970 by Lloyd E. Stagner first printing 2001.
Attachment:
File comment: From Book America Steam Finale by LIoyed E. Stagner
CRRof NJ #3.jpg
CRRof NJ #3.jpg [ 64.33 KiB | Viewed 9828 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:05 pm 

There is a detailed story about 774 in the October 1971 issue of Trains that you have to read.
Open a bottle of wine and cry.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm 

774's number plate was given to Don Wood, who in vain, tried to have the locomotive preserved by CNJ management. Anyone know where it wound up after Don passed? I'm not certain it was 774's actual plate, but one made up for the final excursions by an old shop foreman, Gus Fertikos.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:52 pm 

If it says “CPRR” I would guess that it doesn’t mean the Canadian Pacific. Perhaps it refers to the CNJ’s Central RR of PA, but those markets were CRP? Railfan press from that era is rife with errors (some things never change ;-)). I would chalk this up to a typo or complete falsehood unless a second source of evidence is found.

Richard, I believe some of #774’s jewlery was caught in the Elberon, NJ station fire. Not sure what happened to it after that (if any made it out intact).

Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm 

Hi
I found a little more information on the web dealing with the end of steam, with CNJ 774.
1954 Last regularly scheduled CNJ steam powered passenger service, Jersey City to Cranford.

North Jersey Chapter NRHS sponsored a Farewell Rail Camera Tour using the last operating camelback in America, CNJ camelback locomotive #774, from Jersey City via Elizabethport to Freehold, Bay Head Junction, and Atlantic Highlands. Adult fare for the day was $4.50!

NEED TO ADD CNJ EXCURSION FROM ALDENE TO STATEN ISLAND CA. 1954

1955 Electric Railroaders Assn. sponsored a trip on the Wharton & Northern and High Bridge Branches using CNJ camelback locomotive #774 from Jersey City and Elizabethport.

Railroad Enthusiasts sponsored a steam trip using CNJ #774 from Jersey City, Elizabeth and Plainfield to Jim Thorpe with B&O dining car service.1954 Last regularly scheduled CNJ steam powered passenger service, Jersey City to Cranford.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 pm 

To the original question - type copy was confused. No Canadian Pacific steam ran on the CNJ in the 1950's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm 

I got thinking about this matter, and I dug out my copy of Trains of April 1954. Here's what I found on page 29 of that issue.

"It seemed that during a recent winter CPR had leased some big Jersey Central Mikes and the employee reaction was mixed: the JC 2-8-2's just weren't engineered for Canadian weather; their cabs were cold and their piping frequently froze tight. 'But,' admitted our informant, 'they had better steel in them.' "

Now, the article was written by David P. Morgan, about a trip that he and Phil Hastings had taken to Canada the previous October (1953), so I would guess the CNJ engines were in Canada in 1951 or 1952 or maybe even in 1950.

No mention at all of CP engines being on the CNJ.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm 

G.W. Laepple -

Wonder if any photos exist of the Jersey Central 2-8-2's working up in Canada?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:59 pm 

I have learned to never say never, but if this story is true, it sure is a well kept secret. I have read a lot of CNJ and CPR steam books, and spoken with a lot of CNJ old heads. I don’t recall ever hearing about this lease.

The CNJ did lease out some steam, but generally among interchange partners.

Four of the original USRA M1 2-8-2’s with a standard fireboxes were sold to the P&WV in the late ‘40’s, with the rest scrapped before 1950. That would mean that if Morgan is correct, the CPR leased locomotives with semi-wide fireboxes (genericized as “wootton fireboxes”). One would think such beasts would have garnered attention from Canadian buffs.

The timing is right. The bulk of the M2’s were scrapped in the early ‘50’s with some facing the torch in the late ‘40’s. If there were Miles to be leased, 1951-3 would have been the optimal time period.

I’ll treat this one with some skepticism until evidence surfaces.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:26 pm 

Rob -

Yeah, it also sounded a little far fetched to me which is why I asked if any photos of the leased CNJ Mikes existed. But, never say never. I heard that the Monon had leased some steam engines to the Kansas City Southern during the later days of the Second World War. The Monon was nowhere near the KCS so I had my doubts. BUT...at least one photo turned up!

Les