It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bay Coast Railroad & Delaware Coast Line Railroad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 pm 

Les, here's a link to one of the EL rebuilds, though it is after it was patched by Conrail.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2036385

The hood modifications to fit the 567 are very evident.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 pm 

cood101 -

Appreciate the photo. Would have been nice if the unit had been preserved.

Les

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:23 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It's closer to official now.

Got this report today while I was out and about, haven't checked to confirm it but it matches other rumors elsewhere:

Quote:
In late May 2018 the DCLR was informed by the State of Delaware that its contract to operate over its state-owned tracks would not be renewed. The Delmarva Central Railroad won the bid to take over the contract and will extend its existing operations to include the DCLR's tracks effective 1 January 2019. The DCLR will exit the railroad business and sell off its equipment.

If true, this covers the Milton-Ellersdale line and what's left of Georgetown-Lewes, and the T6 and an Alco RS18.

This is what one online roster claims is still extant around the property:

Quote:
2 ALCO RS-36 Indian River (Delaware)
19 ALCO T-6 Georgetown, Delaware
23 ALCO RS-1 Georgetown
182 MLW RS-18 Georgetown
4024 GE B23-7 Millsboro, Delaware
4054 GE B23-7 Georgetown
44 GE 44-tonner Georgetown

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Wed May 30, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:29 am 

Chris Webster wrote:
Erie Lackawanna rebuilt two of its RS3s prior to Conrail. EL raised the Alco hood up, putting new sheet metal below the doors.

I thought only one was actually finished before Conrail? The 1060 became the 9998 and the in-progress 1061 wasn't completed before the end arrived (And possibly wasn't afterwards, since I've yet to ever see it in a roster).

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 am 

So I'd like to clear up some inaccuracies in this thread.

1. The territory covered by the Delaware shortlines is as follows. The Delmarva Central operates the Delmarva Secondary from the diamond at Porter in Bear Delaware to Pocomoke City, MD and the Indian River Secondary from Harrington, DE to Frankfort, DE. The Indian River Secondary still has many customers. Just south of Millsboro alone is H&K stone plant, NRG, Pioneer Materials, Southern States and Mountaire Farms. The DCLR operates the remains of the Milton-Ellendale Branch and the remains of the Georgetown-Lewes Branch. Both lines are served on a fairly regular basis even the Milton Branch. BCR operates from Pocomoke City, MD to Cape Charles Va. MDDE operates from Frankford, DE to Snow Hill, MD, the Cambridge Branch out of Seaford, DE and two branches that originate from Townsend, DE.

2. At this moment DCR is taking over the first 15 miles of the BCR out of Pocomoke City, MD. There is no word yet on the rest of the BCR territory.

3. The DCLR rumor is in fact true. The DCR has been awarded the contract to operate the Lewes Branch and the Milton Branch. I can not speak on DCLR's intentions after the DCR transition. I can confirm the roster posted online and here is accurate.

4. The rumor of DCR going after MDDE is just that a rumor.

5. The RS3Ms are most definitely Conrail rebuilds and not PC rebuilds. The individual who was responsible for the purchase of those units when DCLR bought them definitely confirms that they are Conrail rebuilds.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm 

More on the BCR from the STB's website:

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... enDocument

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... enDocument

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:46 pm 

At Cape Charles as of today:

In the yard closest to the barge dock.
Locomotive 2000 lettered for BCR and 2001 lettered for Eastern Shore. 2001 is missing a truck.
A passenger car shown in other photos in this thread. No number. The car has been vandalized.
A small tank car and several box cars all in BCR livery.
Open platform obs Philadelphia Star. Last COT&S in 2001. Has roller bearings.
Southern Comfort passenger car. Friction bearings. Looked occupied.
There is a barge at the dock.

In the yard
Approx 5 gondolas previously shown.

At the visitors center.
RF&P Baggage car and NKP 737 caboose.

I did not disembark from my car to look closer at the gons and visitor center display.

Photos of equipment in the yard to follow.

Wesley

Last edited by wesp on Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm 

Eric Bolton wrote:

5. The RS3Ms are most definitely Conrail rebuilds and not PC rebuilds. The individual who was responsible for the purchase of those units when DCLR bought them definitely confirms that they are Conrail rebuilds.

These units were called "Dewitt Geeps" for the old NYC Dewitt Yard shops in Syracuse, it started in 1972 and continued through 1979 by Conrail, the last unit converted was ex-Lehigh Valley 211 in 1979, which survives at R&GVRRHS. In most cases the prime movers were 12-567s taken from E-units:

http://hebners.net/PC/pcRS3.html

The number of survivors has been reported to be a minimum of eight, I know there is an ex-CNJ Dewitt Geep out of service in Peoria on Pioneer Industrial, the 4 ex-DLW units, including those we are discussing and one at Danbury Railway museum, LV 211, another ex-CNJ unit was at a mill in Canada a few years back, Cape May Seashore had an ex-PRR unit a few years back. If I were a short line I wouldn't be afraid of one of these, an EMD prime mover with GE electricals is just about a dream.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 pm 

Bay Coast Yard, May 30, 2018

Attachment:
File comment: Bay Coast consist
Line Up.jpg
Line Up.jpg [ 77.32 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Philadelphia Star
Philadelphia Star.jpg
Philadelphia Star.jpg [ 78.01 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Southern Comfort
Southern Comfort.jpg
Southern Comfort.jpg [ 74.69 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Tank Car
Tank Car.jpg
Tank Car.jpg [ 82.13 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 pm 

From the route guide I wrote for my 2008 charters over the Bay Coast from Cape Charles to Pocomoke...

"Next to the yard is the Cape Charles Museum and Welcome Center, opened in 1996 and dedicated to preserving and presenting to the public the history of Cape Charles and surrounding areas. Built by the Eastern Shore Public Service Company in 1947 to house two diesel powered electric generators and subsequently acquired by Delmarva Power, the museum building served as a peaking unit facility into the 1980s. The Society's caboose (W&LE/NKP 737) and baggage car (RF&P/REA 178) are now located on the Museum siding, following the 2002 construction of a connecting switch to the Eastern Shore Railroad line."

During the November trips, I noted a number of passenger and other cars that were at Cape Charles for a planned dinner train and other activities.

"Southern Comfort"
#800242 Philadelphia Star #90, obs car ex B&O I think
3 box cars with no #s
tank car with no #
passenger car with no #

There were also a number of passenger cars at Little Creek, an RFP baggage car, a sleeper with no # or ID, N&W/TWC 1723, N&W 521416MW, another MW car with no #, Southern baggage 910504.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 am 

Many years ago, we looked at an old Plymouth gas/electric locomotive that they were going to get rid of but it was at the end of a siding behind their dinner train and they weren't about to move it to where it could be grabbed by a crane (where it was located was way too far from any hard surface for a crane to latch onto). If memory serves me, someone here posted that it was cut up. Sad. They just don't make those any more.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:38 pm 

PMC wrote:
I know there is an ex-CNJ Dewitt Geep out of service in Peoria on Pioneer Industrial.

It's actually in Pioneer's deadline on PIRY sister Keokuk Junction Railway in Laharpe, IL about 2 hours West of Peoria. She's been languishing since major vandalism rendered her inoperable in 2013. Every so often there's talk of pulling her out of the deadline and fixing her, but nothing has come of it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:45 pm 

Bulby wrote:
PMC wrote:
I know there is an ex-CNJ Dewitt Geep out of service in Peoria on Pioneer Industrial.

It's actually in Pioneer's deadline on PIRY sister Keokuk Junction Railway in Laharpe, IL about 2 hours West of Peoria. She's been languishing since major vandalism rendered her inoperable in 2013. Every so often there's talk of pulling her out of the deadline and fixing her, but nothing has come of it yet.

Last I had heard it was at Kolbe with a traction motor problem. Hope the vandals didn't get the traction motor cables, that is generally a death sentence for first generation power.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:02 am 

PMC wrote:
Bulby wrote:
PMC wrote:

Last I had heard it was at Kolbe with a traction motor problem. Hope the vandals didn't get the traction motor cables, that is generally a death sentence for first generation power.

From what's available on line, the vandals got the motor leads and a whole lot more while it was assigned to Shawnee Terminal in Cairo, Il. Vandals there also claimed an ex NYC SW1 and former IHB NW2 (both cut up). The RS3m, (PREX 102) made it out after getting patched up enough to move, the vandalism includes the hacking away of all the exposed copper piping for the 24RL and other air systems, plus motor leads on all 4 motors and various miscellaneous damage. At least it made it out alive, unlike the other 2. 102 was Pioneer's first locomotive from way back in the 1980s and that is why she still hangs around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:21 pm 

Bulby wrote:

From what's available on line, the vandals got the motor leads and a whole lot more while it was assigned to Shawnee Terminal in Cairo, Il.

All you had to say was "Cairo" and I knew it would be bad, Cairo makes East St. Louis look like Palm Beach. I'm glad that they appreciate the heritage of the unit, we'll see if they spend the $10k for cables on what must be around an 1100 hp unit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next