It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CSX Preserved Engines List
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:53 pm 

About five years ago, the subject came up about CSX having a preservation list; where certain locomotives would be donated to the B&O Museum upon retirement. Specific locomotives mentioned were GP40-2 6063 (gold painted GM50), GP40-2 6341 (last B&O GP40-2), and SD50 8595 (last B&O locomotive assigned on paper.)

Given the passage of time and the subsequent changes in leadership, does anyone know whether the list is still valid? A quick check across Google Images confirms that all three units are still in service and are all unmodified. Seeing CSX's willingness to help restorations like Clinchfield 800, C&O 8272 and now C&O 2716 has me optimistic that someone still has the list on file somewhere.

Additionally, seeing how the AC6000's are being cut back, is there any indication that the list is being updated? I know this much is a stretch, but still...

Post subject: Re: CSX Preserved Engines List
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:21 pm 

I would certainly hope CSX would continue their trend, even under new leadership. It is my understanding that the whole idea of listing those locomotives was done for the express purpose of identification. The WM GP40 6573 was to be given to the B&O museum upon retirement, IIRC, and ultimately was sold off as no identification was given to the locomotive beforehand.

I want to say B&O 7600 (SD40-2) is included in that list as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I will add a personal caveat:

The actual copy I had of the (supposed official) "hold" list (which was basically "Call the B&O Museum before dismantling," from cars and locos to entire buildings) years ago predated the now-retiring Courtney Wilson--it was apparently compiled under John Hankey and others now no longer at the B&O Museum. And I'm reasonably confident some of the items on that original list were eventually scrapped out on the "First Mile" as the Museum realigned its priorities........

It's now a fair question to ask if this list is even still remembered or known about at either CSX or the B&O Railroad Museum, let alone if it is being used towards its intended objective.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 am 

Perhaps a better question is if there is a list of equipment AT the B&O Museum that needs preserved. The general impression is that they have more equipment than they can care for.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:20 am 

When I saw a photo of #6093 showing that it had been repainted into YN3 scheme and the stencil to hold for the museum was no longer there, I emailed the B&O museum about it and the others, and received a reply thanking me for letting them know that. So, they knew about it at the time, but I have no idea if current management knows or cares now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm 

The SD50s (and 60s) have officially been retired over the last couple of days (amazingly fast, nearly 24-hour class retirements). This would include the last engine delivered to the B&O, SD50 #8595.

It is my understanding from the responses given by CSX folks that, no the engine is not earmarked for donation, and that the remains of the fleet will be put up for auction.

I would be surprised if it was bought for scrap, but due to more railroads falling to "precision" railroading, many leasers have been returned meaning the market is probably saturated with 6-axle leasers. I would hope a regional picks it up (rumor is 4 are heading to a regional that already has some SD50 experience), as that may keep 8592 (and others) running a bit longer.

However, that also doesn't bode well for any of the other engines being earmarked for preservation...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 pm 

Well now that's a bad sign. I can't really fault the reneging of such an old agreement after 25 years and multiple management changes between both organizations. I guess you just think when CSX donates a retired B30-7, SD40, U36B, and SD45-2, that they would still be willing to continue with a quarter century agreement with a museum.

Now, hear me out, if it's true and there will be no donations from this point forward, we must be willing to put the money up as groups or individuals for such locomotives. Otherwise the B&O story will end with a GP38 and GP40.

There has been success with groups doing this. The TVRM, for example, purchased the Southern 5000 at auction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am 

The "list" has not been forgotten at the B&O.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am 

Galloway wrote:

Good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 pm 

According to a source, 8595 shows as sold to LTEX.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Galloway wrote:

That's not the relevant question.

The question is, has the "list" been forgotten/buried/dispensed with at the relevant CSX offices? And can those offices get the word down to other departments appropriately and fast enough?

There has already (supposedly) been one instance of a "promised" loco half-gutted of parts before the word came down to "save" it.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:48 pm 

Comment removed at behest of author

Last edited by cood101 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 pm 

I don't think anyone is interested in a lawsuit. Would just run counterproductive to the goal of preserving the heritage of CSX, of predecessor lines, and of getting them to cooperate in the name of preservation.

And GP38 #3802 was similarly promised, but initially was going to be sent off with some other GP38's and GP40's to somewhere like LTEX after retirement. Took effort from people like B&O historian Dwight Jones to get her redirected to where she was promised.

Few in corporate are aware of the significance of something like this, are aware of past promises, or care. Takes boots on the ground to remind the right people and work quick when news like this is announced. Not sure if there's enough time in this instance, but maybe a different unit can be substituted to satisfy LTEX or the sales agreement could be amended to exclude her.

I'm not sure buying her is realistic if the sale is final. LTEX has a bit of a reputation of overpricing their SD's. Probably worth more to them parted out than most organizations could justify paying cash for to rescue.

Last edited by LeoA on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 pm 

The substitution of another SD50 may be possible, yet the significance of the 8595 as the last B&O unit would still come into play. It would be like someone offering THE 1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT used in Bullitt, then offering a like-optioned and painted car in it's place when they can't complete the deal. Sure, it looks the same and performs the same as the original movie car, but it's not the movie car. Likewise, another Chessie SD50 is not the last B&O SD50.

I hope this situation turns out for the best. I'd hate to see the results be the 8595 lost forever. Same for the GM50, 7600, 4447, and others. That is the crossroads it appears we may be at.

Last edited by cood101 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:44 pm 

Yeah, sue them. That will teach them.

To stop doing equipment donations at all.