It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Very Historic "first electric locomotive" needs help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:14 pm 

New York Centreal ordered the first batch of electric mainline locomotives. "S-Motor was the class designation given by the New York Central to its ALCO-GE built S-1, S-2, S-2a and S-3 electric locomotives. The S-Motors hold the distinction of being the world's first mass-produced main line electric locomotives with the prototype #6000 being constructed in 1904." So where is this #6000? It has been abandon in Albany NY left to rot. Image We all got up in Arms about that CP steam locomotive but this gem has seemed to have been forgoten. Thr land it is on is owned by Beacon Harbor LLC.

https://youtu.be/JT3mpq-b8yk

Post subject: Re: Very Historic "first electric locomotive" needs help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:29 pm 

I guess two things come to mind.

First being where would they go? Bearing historical significance in mind, I think it would be right to say they should end up at a museum with a reputable track record to restore pieces like this.

Secondly, I think I am right in saying it would likely be best that both pieces went to the same place.

While IRM springs to mind, they are likely not the right candidate as, they don't have a Illinois history outside of the "general" NYC connection. Their track record with electric equipment however does make it seem to be a good choice, should they have the interest and funds to acquire them!

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:49 pm 

Never say never, but here is a reasonable argument against it going to IRM:

http://www5.irm.org/gallery/PC4715

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:53 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:

The one at the MOT in St. Louis is not much better than IRM's...
I have seen a lot worse...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:11 pm 

10stewi wrote:
I guess two things come to mind.

First being where would they go? Bearing historical significance in mind, I think it would be right to say they should end up at a museum with a reputable track record to restore pieces like this.

Secondly, I think I am right in saying it would likely be best that both pieces went to the same place.

While IRM springs to mind, they are likely not the right candidate as, they don't have a Illinois history outside of the "general" NYC connection. Their track record with electric equipment however does make it seem to be a good choice, should they have the interest and funds to acquire them!

The Danbury Railway Museum currently owns the bunch, there was a change of ownership in the last few years from Berkshire Scenic. When I contacted Danbury two years ago on the matter I was told it was supposed to be a secret by then president Wade Roese. It's clear to me that either the museum administration doesn't want anyone in on any of their preservation efforts or they have no plan for saving the artifacts whatsoever. If you personally want to send them a proposal be my guest.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:33 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
Dennis Storzek wrote:

The one at the MOT in St. Louis is not much better than IRM's...
I have seen a lot worse...

I wasn't making comment on the condition; it lives under roof and will get repainted someday. Point is, they already have an example of the class.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:48 pm 

Is sad to see 6000 in this condition but don't forget the New York Central T-Motor 278 behind it was the only left

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:24 pm 

I posted this from the Springfield trsin show. At the booth that I was staffing we had a Lionel modle if this unit which I recslled being abonded somewhere. Looking it up got me to make this post. I learned later after posting about Danbury, so I went to there booth and asked. Turns out that it is a logesticle problem getting to them as and not all property owners want to play along.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:04 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
I was told it was supposed to be a secret

If the ownership is apparently supposed be a secret, isn't RYPN a pretty bad place to share that information, unless policy has changed by now? You might want to edit it out of your original post...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 pm 

If we want to try to get them to a museum atleast, why not contact RRMPA. Even though it was not part of the NYC system, it may be a good temporary home. It is also closer than IRM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 pm 

It's funny to see this resurface every few years.

Both locomotives are landlocked in unfriendly territory beside a power plant. IIRC they are (were) owned by a defunct group. Only a crane and a few cubic yards of money are going to get them out of their current resting ground.

I'm not sure if the T motor runs on some "exotic" voltage or not, but it sure is big compared to most trolley museum equipment.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:33 pm 

twofoot wrote:
It's funny to see this resurface every few years.

Both locomotives are landlocked in unfriendly territory beside a power plant. IIRC they are (were) owned by a defunct group. Only a crane and a few cubic yards of money are going to get them out of their current resting ground.

I'm not sure if the T motor runs on some "exotic" voltage or not, but it sure is big compared to most trolley museum equipment.

Chris

IRM runs a “Little Joe” that they restored which is around the same size.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:29 pm 

lmckay175 wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:
I was told it was supposed to be a secret

If the ownership is apparently supposed be a secret, isn't RYPN a pretty bad place to share that information, unless policy has cdhanged by now? You might want to edit it out of your original post...

I thought about that but then I realized most in the preservation community already know this and it doesn't matter at this point. If Danbury were serious about saving the engines I think we'd seen a fundraiser by now. If I can remember correctly the bridge connecting Glenmont to the Port of Albany is in danger of collapse and the track is rotted out. We're talking about millions of dollars just to get the equipment to active track and that's not even mentioning transport expenses. Unless someone wins the lottery tomorrow I just don't see any of this happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:00 am 

Quote:
If I can remember correctly the bridge connecting Glenmont to the Port of Albany is in danger of collapse and the track is rotted out.

The bridge has been gone for at least a couple of years now, along with about 2000 feet of track between the equipment and the current end of track at the Port.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 am 

The T motor ran on a 3rd rail for electric power. That’s why its not really anything more than a display candidate unless a museum gets a third rail for power.

I haven’t been to IRM myself (yet) but I’d assume that 4715 doesn’t look as good as it should just because of the sheer amount of projects they have going on. They have 5 main departments, hundreds of pieces of rolling stock, building and fixing barns, restoring other pieces of equipment back to running order or just cosmetic restoration, as well as site improvements. There are just some pieces that are left, well, more forgotten than others, and 4715 I’d say is pretty forgotten considering it’s a 30 foot engine in the electric department, overshadowed by bigger electrics like the 4927 and the South Shore Little Joe, as well as the other departments (steam, diesel, passenger cars, trolleys, interurbans, freight cars, etc.) Also to mention they still acquire rolling stock, for example just recently they acquired that rusty E33, and will eventually restore it to New Haven Colors when time and funds permit.

Its time will come to be cosmetically restored, hell maybe even operational restoration (I don’t know how powerful the wiring is over at the museum and I don’t count on it happening, but anything is possible these days).