It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rogers loco in "Tales of Wells Fargo"
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:36 am 

Yesterday, I caught an episode of "Tales of Wells Fargo with Dale Robertson on Encore Westerns channel. In a few shots of the loco taken from the front looking up at the whistle, you can clearly read the builders plate and it says Rogers in what you can see of the plate. The show was made in 1958 (and back then the TV shows had 5 minutes of commercials in a half hour show). Just thought it was interesting.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Post subject: Re: Rogers loco in "Tales of Wells Fargo"
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 am 

Guessing it was Sierra Ry. No. 3.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm 

Yes, Sierra Rwy #3, a 4-6-0 Rogers.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 pm 

Sierra Railway #3 built by Rogers in 1891. Along restoration was completed in 2010 and she now operates at the Railtown 1897 State Historic Park in Jamestown, CA.

This loco was the "go to" engine for most television westerns made through the 50's to the 70's. Her roles include being the "Hooterville Cannonball" from the "Petticoat Junction" T.V. Series and is most well known for being the locomotive that pushes the Delorean in "Back to the Future III".

She's also had bit parts in "Little House on the Prairie", "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.","Unforgiven", and dozens of other appearances in any number of low budget television westerns.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm 

Sierra Ry. 3 is correct.

She received a brand new boiler about 10 years ago along with other work that included her tender.

With 17" by 24" cylinders and around 160 lbs. on the boiler, she is a little small for some of the trains that all have an uphill pull into Jamestown. 2-8-0 28 should be back to work soon if not already and that will give the 3 spot a lot of relief. Also on the property and used is former Feather River Ry. 90-3 class Shay 2.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 pm 

Folks,
This is a little off topic, but I think you might find it interesting. The Rogers Locomotive Works at Patterson, New Jersey was owned by Jacob S. Rogers in the 1890s. He was a workaholic all of his life and never had a family; he left his fortune to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City; to be used to purchase additional works of art. I have been there and seen the notation: Purchased by the Rogers Acquissions Fund.

I read somewhere that there are about 12 Rogers Locomotives still with us. The company was sold to the American Locomotive Company in 1905.

Ted Miles

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Always nice to hear that some of the older stuff is still with us.

Several years ago, while visiting a customer where Rogers was, I stopped by and there are a few old locos on display in the parking lot paying homage to the Rogers locomotive works. If memory serves me, the building is an office complex of some sort.

Later!
Mr. Ed