It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EMD SW-1 Anodized Labels
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am 

I'm hoping those familiar with these labels can assist. In speaking with a fellow RYPN member a few evenings ago, we were attempting to determine if these anodized aluminium labels out of a SW-1 were originally black with silver lettering. However, it is difficult to tell for certain. Would they have just worn down over time? Or were they a standard aluminum coloring? The cab interior shot would indicate otherwise but could there have been variations? Thank you!

Attachments:
post-6750-12626069912504.jpg
post-6750-12626069912504.jpg [ 29.48 KiB | Viewed 2779 times ]
IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_4001.JPG [ 123.23 KiB | Viewed 2779 times ]

Post subject: Re: EMD SW-1 Anodized Labels
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm 

Every EMD metal label I've seen was originally a black field on aluminum. I don't think EMD ever used embossed labels (other than the big red '600 Volts' labels on cabinet doors). Earlier labels had the lettering etched with a flat label border, the newer ones are just black silk screened (or some other process) on flat aluminum. The etched ones would get the letters filled in with gunk as the black wore off, as in your second pic, making them a little hard to read in between the lettering dirtying up and the black wearing off. The newer flat ones become unreadable once the black wears off. I've spent a few hours scraping the gunk out of etched lettering for critical switches. Funny the things one will do when your bored sitting in a siding for hours...