It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&A A1a trust
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:30 pm 

I know that this topic has been discussed before but I just want to do this one. I'm not saying that I'm doing this just thinking. I am thinking about creating a trust to build a brand new Boston & Albany A1A/B berkshire it would be the 56th of its class #1455. 1455 will have several design changes like

1) an all welded boiler

2) roller bearings on all axels

3) built in control unit that can allow the crew to control any diesel units in consets

4) it would be fueled by bio diesel

I would keep the 8 axel tender so it can fit on more turntables and wye tracks. keep the elesco feedwater heater and external dry pipe too since they're externally mounted so it would make it faster and easier to maintain.

I thought about using bio diesel because it's renewable, less hazardous to transport and burn and also they burn cleaner. I know that the Grand Canyon Railway steamers run on bio diesel (waste vegetable oil). I believe that with enough air into the fire and the fuel can burn hotter and produce either equal or more energy than fossil fuels.

why an early berk and not a modern berk because they were lighter and more powerful than modern berk.

I have ideas on where to get the funds and places to run, store and build and they sound very realistic. your thoughts please let me know.

Post subject: Re: B&A A1a trust
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 am 

Thought, if you want to be taken seriously, be professional in any and every thing you do. Spelling, Punctuation, Grammar , and proper sentence structure are all your friends in this regard.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 am 

I'll give you my opinion on any of these "rebuild a dead steam loco" ideas.

There are so many neglected historical locomotives around the country. I'd much rather see one of those get restored to operation than a brand new one built.

That being said, I do support the Tornado and T1 group, I just don't think we should be making a habit of doing this

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:49 am 

The only extinct locomotive I can even possibly get my head around restoring from the ashes, would be a NYC Hudson.

Let's get serious, and deal with those locomotive we have, needing friends and preservation first.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:07 am 

steamfan765 wrote:
I have ideas on where to get the funds and places to run, store and build and they sound very realistic. your thoughts please let me know.

That's some pretty important info being left out. It may sound very realistic, but how can anybody other than you know if it's not mentioned?

Just my thoughts.