It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Old C&O tender Locus Point?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 pm 

The question comes up time to time and I still haven't really found a way to answer it? How do you go about tracking down the owner of a piece of equipment like this tender?

Robert

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm 

I was once told that the owner was the cagy lawyer from the Baltimore area who bought some track and thought that made him a railroad. Can't remember his name now.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 am 

RSwinnerton wrote:
I was once told that the owner was the cagy lawyer from the Baltimore area who bought some track and thought that made him a railroad. Can't remember his name now.
This sounds familiar...

If we're thinking about the same equipment collection I recall some coaches, a caboose or two, and some MOW equipment but no tender. There was also a serious question as to whether or not the person involved was actually a lawyer. I believe my grandfather discussed him here at some length in the past and we were never able to confirm the degrees he claimed in various filings under any of the names he was known to have used.

If I have the wrong person here please say so. Its just interesting that this comes up on the same day that we have the first really positive news on what may have been the the one topic which used up more bandwidth than his and his cohort's antics.

Meghan

Subscribing to my grandfather's philosophy that no case is so weak or cause so harebrained that somebody cannot be found to handle it in exchange for a sufficient retainer up front.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:22 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
1) Y'all are probably thinking of someone by the name (well, now and then) of "Riffin."

2) This is the first I've heard of any supposed tie between him and the tender in question. (Although that might explain a few things......)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:47 am 

Any idea of which locomotive was owner of this tender?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

Riffin! That's the guy.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:04 pm 

Amazing how Ghost of Charlatans Past returns to haunt.

The tender was probably never his as it did not disappear during the bankruptcy sale. His claims of ownership require heightened scrutiny as along with everything else he tried to claim ownership of the spur into Morgan Millwork and the ramp from the Ma & Pa Roundhouse to the B&O main on the basis that the PRR might have switched them once or twice.

I will also note that since neither my lovely Granddaughter nor I uttered the name that Brother Mitchell is responsible for the next round...

GME

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:49 pm 

misterwandle wrote:
The ex-C&O Vanderbilt tender at CSXT's Locust Point yard in Baltimore is privately owned and is awaiting removal by its longtime owners. It is not abandoned property.

No need to panic, folks. Thanks, and be safe.

John B. Corns
a.k.a. misterwandle (Mister W and LE -- get it?)

ADMIV, RSwinnerton, Trainlawyer, and Meghan - Nostalgia for Mr. Riffin notwithstanding, Mr. Corns' post from the previous page of this thread suggests the possibility that either his organization or someone he knows is the owner of the tender.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Scranton Yard wrote:
ADMIV, RSwinnerton, Trainlawyer, and Meghan - Nostalgia for Mr. Riffin notwithstanding, Mr. Corns' post from the previous page of this thread suggests the possibility that either his organization or someone he knows is the owner of the tender.

It just as readily "suggests the possibility" Mr. Kim Jong-un is the owner.

I've had about 25 years of dealing with Baltimore-area rail preservation and/or the "flights of fancy" of He Whom We Can't Mention under my belt, and although I have no way to prove he or his cronies are NOT involved,my "gut feeling" is that someone more competent than him has to be dealing with this tender, or it would have been scrapped by now strictly out of spite.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:44 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Scranton Yard wrote:

It just as readily "suggests the possibility" Mr. Kim Jong-un is the owner.

If you say so.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:48 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Any idea of which locomotive was owner of this tender?

There's no way to really know which engine had this tank; C&O had similar tenders in classes 16-VA, 16-VB, and 16-VC, all with 16,000 gallon water capacities. A lot of those tanks and plenty of others were shifted around to various locomotives in shoppings; they could be seen behind 2-8-2s, 4-6-2s, 4-8-2s, 2-10-2s, at least one 2-6-6-2, and 2-8-8-2s. A lot of that swapping occurred when C&O built or bought larger replacement tenders (which were typically rectangular types), and these large Vanderbilt tenders in turn replaced smaller tenders on other locomotives.

One thing that does stand out is the shape of the coal bunker. Most of the C&O Vanderbilt tenders I found photos of had the tapering rear of the coal bunker cut off square, like the one in this photo:

But that's not what THIS tender has; instead, its coal bunker continues out to a fine point. It's like what you would normally see on a B&O Vanderbilt tender, but the curvature of the coal bunker sides isn't right; the B&O's versions weren't rounded, but angled. Overall proportions are bit different, too:

Further looking came up with photos of two of the road's J-2 4-8-2s (USRA Heavy design)--and take a look at the tender bunker shape, and also notice the number of one of the engines!

Could it be from that 4-8-2? It doesn't seem likely--as noted, those tenders got swapped around a lot--but that engine is one of only two that I could find images of with a similar looking tank--and the one in Baltimore even has the extended coal bunker edges of the tank on the 545.

What do you think?

Last edited by J3a-614 on Sat May 12, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:24 am 

Thank you for the excellent treatise on Vanderbilt tenders and the possible origins of this one! BTW, outstanding photos, particularly the final one of the unit sitting idle.

Next question would be, and I don't think we'll know until it's tested, is the interior clean and water tight? Is there are good re-match locomotive for her in the outside world? Would she make a good auxiliary tender for an excursion train?

Again, thank you for the critical background information.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:31 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Thank you for the excellent treatise on Vanderbilt tenders and the possible origins of this one! BTW, outstanding photos, particularly the final one of the unit sitting idle.

Next question would be, and I don't think we'll know until it's tested, is the interior clean and water tight? Is there are good re-match locomotive for her in the outside world? Would she make a good auxiliary tender for an excursion train?

Again, thank you for the critical background information.

And thank you for the kind words; we don't hear enough of that these days (and I have to admit to being guilty of that myself).

The credit for the photos really belongs with the original photographers and the people who put them on the internet; all I did was find them.

As to a good "rematch" for this tender? Well, there are two, identical twins in fact, though both still have their tenders, and one is kind of controversial around here.

http://trn.trains.com/~/media/images/ne ... sphoto.jpg

Yes, at least one of her earlier sisters wore such a tank, or a similar one. As noted, it was a replacement for a smaller one--this one was supposedly a class 16-VC. As was typical, it replaced a smaller tender:

The same locomotive in a somewhat earlier time (probably 1930s), with what might be her original tender, or at least her original tender class (and I'm not even sure of that! Some of these engines came with rectangular tanks.) This one would be a 12-VB or 12-VC (and yes, I'm a crazy C&O fan):

Source:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4329963

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:22 pm 

Thank you for the interesting history lesson on C&O tenders.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 545 tender paired with the 1309. My interest in the tender is possibly mating it up with UP 5511 the drag freight 2-10-2. C&O tenders do have precedence for showing up behind UP steam.

How much bigger is the Vanderbilt tender to C&O 1309's current tender in coal and water capacity? Would the larger tender fit on the turntable with 1309 or would it be too long?

Robert

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:14 pm 

Two observations on the photo of RPCX 545 as posted above:

1. The was a reference to a drawbar on the front (coal bunker) end of the tender, but from the air hose attachment, it appears that the tender has had a coupler installed on that end.

2. A determination of the original locomotive to which the tender was assigned might be possible with a little sand paper and some careful "elbow grease". It might well show the locomotive number. My guess is that this has never been tried.

Les