It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Mesa & Lake Powell as a Tourist Railway???
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:14 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Now, please note: This article is from Sept. 2017 (I found it in a search for other BM&LP info for another party), and has wanton speculation.

The BM&LP counts as one of the U.S.'s most isolated rail lines, not even connected to the rest of the rail network.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/b ... 441387001/

Quote:
The 78 miles of track may be the about the only asset that survives a complex negotiation over the future of the power plant and the mine that supplies it.

The utilities that own the power plant are planning to operate it only through 2019 and have set an Oct. 1 deadline for a new owner to step in. The utilities say they can make cheaper, cleaner electricity for their customers in Arizona and Nevada by burning natural gas.

If the plant closes, the tribe has negotiated to keep the train tracks, valued at $120 million. The tribe could use them to promote tourism between Kayenta and Page by leveraging the amenities of Lake Powell and other attractions.

Navajo Speaker LoRenzo Bates said offering the tracks a second life through tourism needs more research and is among many decisions the tribe must make regarding the coal operations.

“It hasn’t gotten that far,” he said. "These are all part of the investments the Nation is going to have to make."

Post subject: Re: Black Mesa & Lake Powell as a Tourist Railway???
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 pm 

Could this be the long-dreamed of home for wanton steam? Or a paradise for GG-1’s (if the voltage is changed)?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:37 pm 

I could see this as viable due to the proximity to Lake Powell and Monument Valley in addition to other non freight uses (i.e. Hollywood). If it does happen it will be interesting to see if the wire stays.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
robertjohndavis wrote:
Could this be the long-dreamed of home for wanton steam? Or a paradise for GG-1’s (if the voltage is changed)?

Well, you won't disturb NIMBYs out there, that's for sure. And it's a notoriously "un-chaseable" line.

But you would also be at the mercy of the Navajo Nation in that area. And....... well, just let's not wallow into that political discussion if we may, and just focus on the fact that this makes the EBT or C&TS or Cass look like they're in "populous" areas.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:21 pm 

From a quote in the article linked above, "Any train that uses the tracks once the plant closes will have to find a new source of power or run on diesel." The article went on to say that the power plant would be dismantled and hauled away and the power plant and coal mine sites would be restored to their previous condition as closely as possible. Even if they left the catenary in place, where would you get power out there for an electrified operation. I crossed this rail line several years ago on my last trip west and wanted to wait for a train for photos......but, it was hot and the rest of our party were not railfans and anxious to go sightseeing.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:18 pm 

The Interwebs says Lake Powell gets 3,000,000 visitors a year and Glen Canyon has the longest average stay of any National Park. Page, the north end of the railroad, is the center of tourism for Lake Powell.

To compare, Grand Canyon gets 4.5 million visitors per year.

Most of Page’s overnight stays are roadtrippers headed to other places.
While in Page, outdoor activities and boat rides dominate.
Average visitor age is 47.
70% stay overnight.
71% of visitors are traveling with family.
Just under 50% come from households earning $100K or more.

Does any of this mean a railroad would be a draw? No.

Does it mean there is a base to build upon? Maybe.

Would it take a ton of cash and many years to build up the market? Yes.

Is it worth it? That’s up to the person with a ton of cash.

Rob

PS: Let them take the catenary. If GG-1’s had issues with fine snow, I would think sand would cause greater grief.

PPS: How did I become versed in Page, AZ stats? https://www.cityofpage.org/images/homep ... 1-2015.pdf

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 pm 

It would be a wonderful test bed for solar power of electric railroads. Create a large bank of solar panels and a bunch of those Tesla battery pods and use it to power the overhead. Could well end up creating a "green" technology to power rail lines.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm 

Going back over a year or so, I BRIEFLY had similar thoughts on the "Home for Main Line Steam" thread, but with respect to the Erie Mining/LTV Steel mainline. Picture a heavy duty rail line, well maintained up to the end of operation. Fantastic scenery, a tunnel, awesome view of Lake Superior, etc. Imagine a Berk, Mike or good sized Pacific with a long train of open window coaches, a diner (ya gotta eat-) and an open door baggage car. Just like what many of us grew up with (and alas, may never see again).

But then consider the location. I've only been up there once, but Hoyt Lakes is three or four hours above Minneapolis-St. Paul, if I recall correctly. Not really on the beaten track for tourism, and the railfan community really doesn't support tourist operations; family groups do.

If the EBT can't make it, a half hour or so off the Pennsylvania Turnpike, BM&LP or a tourist operation at LTV won't either, Sad to say...

Just my $.02-

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:35 pm 

This would be another case of running from Nowhere to Noplace. The power plant near Page, AZ (The northern terminus) is not in Page, it is some distance away. The coal mine at the other end is along US 160 about 20-30 miles west of Kayenta, AZ. Kayenta is the gateway to Monument Valley, but the RR is quite a distance to the west.

The scenery is nothing spectacular. Part of it is alongside US 160, the rest across the Navajo Reservation. Not much there.