It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Color Library
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 am 

I have this chart from EMD Styling & Painting Diagram ## 8446040 dated 4-14-70.,

Attachment:
50B14876-AB37-4E2C-BEF5-F154BF538887.jpeg
50B14876-AB37-4E2C-BEF5-F154BF538887.jpeg [ 118.92 KiB | Viewed 56699 times ]

That diagram is for Ashley, Drew & Northern 150, an SW1500 that the AD&N purchased new from EMD.

I’ve looked through all the references that I can find and cannot locate the numbers for the Yellow and Green that are in this chart. So that I can cross reference them.

If you look on this Condren Rails page and scroll down to the third picture from the bottom, you will find a picture of AD&N 150 in this scheme on October 26, 1975.

https://condrenrails.com/AD&N/index.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tad

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:26 am 

Tad - let me check on these for a cross, though I don’t think I have them. Your “Refer.” column is the DuPont product and color numbers. The EMD column is the color in the styling book which will reference back to the DuPont number. Sadly, the DuPont numbers are no longer valid and can’t be crossed to current formulations. I’ll do a little digging and see if I come up with anything. For future reference, I’ll add these to the list in case something pops up later.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:45 pm 

jayrod wrote:
Tad - let me check on these for a cross, though I don’t think I have them. Your “Refer.” column is the DuPont product and color numbers. The EMD column is the color in the styling book which will reference back to the DuPont number. Sadly, the DuPont numbers are no longer valid and can’t be crossed to current formulations. I’ll do a little digging and see if I come up with anything. For future reference, I’ll add these to the list in case something pops up later.

Thanks, Eric.

I looked all through your list and every other reference that I was able to find hoping that those had been used by some other railroad.

Eyeballing it, I think I could come “almost close,” but I am fixing to get some decals made and need to make a decision on the colors that I am going to use for that scheme.

This is for modeling purposes. My intent is to model the entire AD&N diesel roster in N scale. There were nine units painted in the yellow and green before they renumbered and repainted into the green and white scheme.

Mr. Tedder, the former president of the AD&N, told me that they used BN green for that scheme. Sadly, he is no longer around to consult with.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

Tad

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:03 pm 

I've exhausted all my sources for cross references and can't find any references to the DuPont 34559 green and 445 yellow. I don't have access to any EMD swatches so I can't look for a cross there though they'd likely point back to DuPont.

Sorry I can't help.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:07 pm 

jayrod wrote:
I've exhausted all my sources for cross references and can't find any references to the DuPont 34559 green and 445 yellow. I don't have access to any EMD swatches so I can't look for a cross there though they'd likely point back to DuPont.

Sorry I can't help.

No problem, Eric.

I appreciate your efforts.

In looking back through my stuff again, I found that I also have EMD Styling & Painting diagram # 8336318 for AD&N 178 dated June 12, 1963.

The chart from that drawing looks like this:

Attachment:
2168172C-D291-47C8-B0EF-18AB0FD301A9.jpeg
2168172C-D291-47C8-B0EF-18AB0FD301A9.jpeg [ 50.44 KiB | Viewed 56602 times ]

The DuPont color codes are the same, but the prefix is different. The EMD numbers are also different. That may just be a 7 year thing.

AD&N 178 is the other unit in the Mike Condren photo referenced above.

I guess from “eyeballing” that I am probably going to go with Reefer Yellow and CNW Green.

I think that they are almost close.

Thanks again,

Tad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:27 pm 

Yeah, I’ve yet to decipher all the different DuPont prefixes over the years. I know the 939s are acrylics of some sort but the 890s were Lucite. Maybe someday I’ll run into an ex-DuPont coatings guy that can explain all the prefixes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:15 am 

A substantial update was uploaded to the color cross reference on my preservation page. Of note are 67 Axalta colors, a dedicated Amtrak page mostly with references to Pantone PMS colors, updated SAL colors and added AD&W DuPont colors thanks to Tad above. Also a general revision of miscellaneous stuff and revised page order.

Ref: https://bigeprod.com/rrPreservation.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:33 pm 

Another update. Mostly NP diesel, passenger, structure and freight cars.

Ref: https://bigeprod.com/rrPreservation.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:56 pm 

The latest update has now been uploaded to the HeritageRail Alliance website at https://heritagerailalliance.wildapricot.org/member-resources/. I'll continue to update and revise the Railroad Paint and Color Reference as more information is sent to me.

If you're researching a color or have up to date paint info on the colors you use, please let me know and I'll add it to the reference. I'd especially like current paint data for colors that don't have the modern equivalents. So please keep those cards & letters coming.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:05 am 

While looking for something else I ran across this master's thesis by Barbara Klobucer titled "The Influence of Pullman: Railroad Passenger Coach Colors 1900-1940". Goucher College, 2000.

https://mdsoar.org/handle/11603/2711

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 am 

Alan - Thanks for posting that link. In all my searches, I somehow missed that. Good info in there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6