It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cosmetic restoration of 3' gauge 2-4-0 in Michigan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:59 pm 

For the record, the narrow gauge Porter, Bell & Company engine mentioned in Flimsies as being restored in Port Huron, Michigan is s/n 323 built December 1878.

I'm a little confused as to who is actually going to be doing the restoration or where it will eventually be displayed after the work is done.

Les

Post subject: Re: Cosmetic restoration of 3' gauge 2-4-0 in Michigan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:27 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
I'm a little confused as to who is actually going to be doing the restoration or where it will eventually be displayed after the work is done.

Les,

It is my understanding that a local individual will restore the locomotive at St. Clair Community College, and a private contractor in Ohio will be restoring the tender (as it needs a lot of work). The locomotive is planned to go on display on the Port Huron Waterfront or the Thomas Edison Depot Museum, joining the combine passenger car.

Quote from Trains Magazine, "The locomotive traveled by truck from the Port Huron Museum to St. Clair County Community College, where the work will take place under the direction of Streamline Historic Services. The tender will go to Gemini Industries in Dover, Ohio, for restoration."

Nick

Last edited by NS 3322 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:02 pm 

TJ Gaffney is heading up the restoration project.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:18 am 

Saw a note on the Ahead of the Torch website that this narrow gauge Porter is now being put together for public display. Not sure exactly where this is happening. I believe this little engine was once described as a third surviving Pere Marquette steamer, being owned at one time by a PM predecessor, the Flint & Pere Marquette.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:42 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Saw a note on the Ahead of the Torch website that this narrow gauge Porter is now being put together for public display. Not sure exactly where this is happening. I believe this little engine was once described as a third surviving Pere Marquette steamer, being owned at one time by a PM predecessor, the Flint & Pere Marquette.

Les

Update shows that this 3' gauge Porter has now had its footplate completed and installed, the headlight bracket and headlight itself put on the locomotive along with the engines stack. Display is at the Wrigley Center Lofts in downtown Port Huron, Michigan. Another neat railroad item to look up when visiting Port Huron.

Les