It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: L&A 503
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm 

I would like assurance that Charlie gets his refund before we close the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm 

I got a PM that a refund is in the works.
Thanks,
T7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:19 pm 

I think we should be happy to let the discussion naturally run its course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 pm 

I got my refund so all is good. My apologies to all of you if I droned on too much on this subject. I'm most assuredly ready to put it to bed. It's been quite educational.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 pm 

My personal inclination would be to close this thread, and open a new one that tracks the progress of the local group that has taken over, for better or worse, the preservation effort for 503.

Yes, I'd keep it positive, as the group says it's different, and I think is different, from the folks in city government that finagled to get the locomotive scrapped ignominiously and then grabbed for what they perceived as a golden goose. Perhaps even if they don't welcome free advice from the experts here they can find ways of preserving 503 less expensively or more effectively, and perhaps even take some first steps toward operating restoration.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am 

I'm with Overmod. This thread is playing ping-pong without a ball. Game's over.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 am 

Overmod wrote:
My personal inclination would be to close this thread, and open a new one that tracks the progress of the local group that has taken over, for better or worse, the preservation effort for 503.

Yes, I'd keep it positive, as the group says it's different, and I think is different, from the folks in city government that finagled to get the locomotive scrapped ignominiously and then grabbed for what they perceived as a golden goose. Perhaps even if they don't welcome free advice from the experts here they can find ways of preserving 503 less expensively or more effectively, and perhaps even take some first steps toward operating restoration.

Is the group that has taken over 503 posting on-line about their plans and progress? If so, maybe they would like to post here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 am 

Here is the URL again for the 'Friends of 503' Facebook page (to my knowledge this is their only form of Web presence):

https://www.facebook.com/KCSEngineNo503/

I have a suspicion that many in that group view RyPN as being associated with the 'out-of-towner' element; it might take considerable bridge-building to overcome that. So I would class any response to Ron's question about their posting here as akin to what Earnestine on Laugh-In was used to hearing from her customers about when she could expect payment: '... when what freezes over?'

Judging by a recent note (July 29th) the all-too-typical attitude toward 'discourse' here recently might be distasteful to them...

[From the Friends of the 503 page]

Quote:
"Earlier this evening, a comment was made regarding a member of the "Friends" that is not in keeping with the intent or the spirit of this page.

"The comment was quickly removed by the poster, but not before it was seen, copied and reported to Admin.
"Be advised, such uncivil actions will not be tolerated.
Personal issues should be settled elsewhere, not here.
"We have zero tolerance for such, and anyone who does not respect others by placing demeaning, accusations on this site, will be blocked.
"Keep it civil and respectful, and lets enjoy our love of trains, and support the 503 effort.

Since I don't 'do' Faceplant and don't intend to start now, I 'second' Ron's motion to reach out to offer whatever support and technical assistance the group will take from us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 am 

What is the latest happenings with L&A 503? Has the remediation of the oil soaked ground been completed? Is the locomotive back in place on the display track? Any progress in cosmetically restoring the locomotive?

Thanks,
Matthew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am 

mfmalk wrote:
What is the latest happenings with L&A 503? Has the remediation of the oil soaked ground been completed? Is the locomotive back in place on the display track? Any progress in cosmetically restoring the locomotive?

Thanks,
Matthew

The last mention of 503 in the local media was in the Port Arthur News on 10/1&2/18. Not much on the Facebook link either.

From 10-1:
https://www.panews.com/2018/10/01/plan-eyed-for-tainted-soil-near-engine-503/
From 10-2:
https://www.panews.com/2018/10/02/engine-503-should-city-set-a-deadline/

It is very interesting how sentimentality and nostalgia came into play here to thwart the highest-potential-to-date preservation plan for 503. I have often seen these as an initial force in driving peoples' interest towards preservation. Such people will show up at a few meetings but, unless they are driven by a deeper appreciation for history and passing on a legacy to future generations, their numbers often recede drastically over a short amount of time as the attention is refocused on the next cause or concern. Sentimentality and nostalgia are admirable and understandable human emotions but, without long-term commitment and a sustainable plan, they are not historic preservation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:36 pm 

Well said Scranton Yard. Very true. The same dynamics apply to most restoration projects even once the object is in museum or safe hands. How many people say "it should be preserved or that really needs to be painted and made displayable". But have no intention of getting dirty or donating to the fund to make it happen? The road to hell is paved with good intentions and bodies litter the shoulder of that road. Most of us are guilty of taking on a project large or small and then end up walking away from it. A completed project becomes a rare thing. Happens all over. A lot of younger enthusiastic rail fans will learn this too it they stay at this game long enough. This pattern is almost human nature and not regulated to railfans only. To me the real trick is to "not be that guy" and that is about the only control we have. Meaning we as individuals need to take responsibility for what we start, big or small doesn't matter. Finish what you start. This is important to me personally as I am notorious for not finishing projects. Sometimes there is legitimate reasons. But like owning a dog or any animal, if your not in it for the long haul don't do it. Some may not be able to follow my logic here, but it is what may end up happening to the LA #503. Not any different than a museum or private owner dismantling a steam locomotive with sugar plum fairies supporting the effort. Sad. Occasionally there are happy endings. But this is how parts kits are generated, with good intentions.

Without the professional business plan, money to restore and a place/people to run, I hope they paint it and put a roof over it. If they attempt more it runs the risk of becoming a parts kit with missing parts in the future. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:57 pm 

Does anyone know if Jason followed through with issuing refunds to those who requested them??

As was a sure bet the locals who fought to keep the engine there with the promise of raising the monies needed to restore her have faded into the night and disappeared. Surprise !!

What about the refunds ??? Thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:40 pm 

I think I was one of the last to get a refund, so my guess is that everyone did get their refund.

I thought that the money should have gone into a fund to help restore the 503 where it is. But given that nothing has been done to the locomotive, it seem obvious now that it would have been a waste of money. The gentleman who led the fight to keep it there has bailed out. The engine doesn't have much a future. Makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been better for everyone involved if the poor locomotive had been scrapped and put out of its misery. It has gone from a symbol of the city's past to an evil monster that's poisoning the citizens and draining money from the city's coffers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 pm 

I don't recall being notified of a refund. It might have been shuffled off to another restoration, which I believe was an option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I don't recall being notified of a refund. It might have been shuffled off to another restoration, which I believe was an option.

Yes, we could either have the refund sent to us (we would have to contact Jason specifically to ask for that), or it would automatically go towards moving NKP 587 out of ITM and into safe storage/restoration in Ravenna, KY.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next