It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: L&A 503
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:04 pm 

I think this speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZsj9ab ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:20 pm 

Many thanks for the video. Looks like the move went well. At least the pony and tender wheels moved. I'm surprised that it didn't attract more attention, it's not everyday that you see something like this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 pm 

The most recent Port Arthur News story. Interesting that the only council member they mention as being at the site on Friday is Councilman and Mayor Pro Tem Cal Jones.

https://www.panews.com/2018/04/27/on-track-for-forward-progres/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:01 pm 

Both of the newspaper articles that you linked to refer to this as temporary track, but it looks pretty substantial to me. I'm surprised that Mr. Beard wasn't there.

If the city was going to accept Jason's proposal, wouldn't they have turned it over to him, let him remove it and save themselves the trouble of moving it themselves?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 pm 

Government doesn't usually work in such a straightforward, logical manner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:42 pm 

Rick is correct. The only thing that matters is the vote count when the motion is made for the selection of an entity to restore 503. The additional $40,000 that the entire City Council approved to be spent to keep 503 intact and in Bryan Park during the abatement only insures that they now have to do something. All council members, those who favor keeping it local, those who understand that 503's condition has deteriorated to a point that it requires technical skills, industry knowledge, and money that the City does not possess (no matter how well meaning the local efforts are), and those who remain undecided are now forced to a decision point because it will reflect poorly on all of them if this $40,000 expenditure is followed by inaction.

The important thing is to remain positive and not get sucked into this us vs. them chess match that some are playing. As Mount Royal pointed out, it is very easy to demonize Mr. Sobczynski as an outsider who is meddling in their business and looking to take their locomotive. Mr. Sobczynski included a timeline of the save in his proposal. This should not be used to get into a pissing contest as to who saved the locomotive. Both Mr. Sobczynski and Mr. Beard were working at different angles to prevent 503 from being discarded. A clear explanation of the "save" timeline from Mr. Sobczynski's reference should only be used to illustrate that he did not creep up on their porch, peer into their parlor, open a window, and attempt to steal their candy dish. The candy dish was discarded at the curb in the trash and was fair game. He heard about it, checked it out, and decided that he had the skills and resources to give it new life and he invested an appreciable amount of his own time and money to do so.

In my mind, the only disadvantage is that this has played out long enough that the vote on the future of 503 will be cast by the revised seven-member Council and not the now-defunct nine-member Council. We know that Mr. Sobczynski's long-term plan to restore 503 was supported by Mr. Lewis. Mr. Swati is not on record either way but he appears to be a very erudite and broad-minded thinker so the Council reorganization cost 503 at least one and perhaps two votes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:09 am 

Hope springs eternal.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 am 

A longer video of moving KCS/L&A 503... listen along and you here some commentary on the move and some plans for it's future by Mr. Beard's group.

https://www.facebook.com/KCSEngineNo503 ... 780129213/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:40 am 

Ignorance is bliss.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 am 

On the positive side, it sounds like the City has not yet made a decision on the fate of 503. It may be evidence to the contrary that they have paid to move 503 out of the way when they could have saved that cost by giving the locomotive to Jason’s group. However, Councilman Harold Doucet stated that their first priority is to get the environmental work done on deadline, so they chose to do that before considering proposals for the locomotive.

I can understand that objective. The City may feel that the because locomotive must move in order to undertake the environmental work, it is best to just make that move immediately without spending time to consummate a deal with Jason and his moving arrangements when time is short. They may have decided this way even though the immediate move costs the City money that they would not have to spend if they had decided to give the engine to Jason’s group and thus eliminate the need to move it just to clear the remediation work.

Once this gets nearer to completion of the soil cleanup, it would be worthwhile to contact the City and find out how the Council will deal with the various proposals that they have received regarding the future of #503. One point that would be helpful to clarify is whether the City intends to consider all proposals including those that sell the locomotive to other parties.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:58 pm 

As part of this ongoing discussion, Texas railroad historian has asked me to post a copy of what he sent to the Port Arthur City Council and to Jason on March 28, as possibly a way for all concerned to get some (but not all) of what they want and the 503 be returned to operation.

Attachment:
Steve Goen Proposal RE 503.docx [18.68 KiB]
Downloaded 502 times

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm 

Somebody's thinking, not just reacting. Thanks.

Jason is no doubt considering the extent of his interest in pursuing 503 at all if it is still owned by PA given their proven inability to act as responsible stewards - I think their motivation is more based on local political appearance rather than genuine interest in good historic preservation. As such, it doesn't seem as if dealing with them will turn into something clear, rational (from a preservationists and operators perspective) or reliable in the long term. Smart money is playing the waiting game while continuing to work behind the scenes until the future becomes firmly defined, then either asking the donors to adapt to a new set of circumstances, or refunding everybody their donations based on what does develop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:31 pm 

I trust that Jason has made the necessary arrangements to refund the donations given via the Go Fund Me campaign as it is crystal clear ( and has been for a long while) that these clowns have no clue as to what they're doing EXCEPT that they're determined to keep poor old 503 in Port Arthur.

It reminds me somewhat of the museum in St.Louis that fought tooth & nail to keep the DL&W 952 when the legal owner ( the R&LHS) wanted it moved to its original service territory and cosmetically restored even though they had totally neglected it for years to the point that trees were growing up between tender and locomotive. Equally senseless.

At least Jason's efforts saved her from being cut up.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 pm 

elueck wrote:
As part of this ongoing discussion, Texas railroad historian has asked me to post a copy of what he sent to the Port Arthur City Council and to Jason on March 28, as possibly a way for all concerned to get some (but not all) of what they want and the 503 be returned to operation.

Attachment:
Steve Goen Proposal RE 503.docx

I just scanned it quickly, but I think this agreement could thread the needle of getting the locomotive into preservation while allowing residents (and their political leaders) comfort that their heritage is not being carted off out of state. I strongly suspect that once it is at TSR the attention from within the city will wane, just as it would if it were left to dissolve in a park, and so restorers can see to its needs without all the hand wringing. As for the gofundme money, I think most of us were concerned with survival, the idea of operating it was really secondary. If the gofundme money can be used to move it to TSR and stabilized (preferably under a shelter) I would regard my small contribution as well spent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 pm 

Dave wrote:
Somebody's thinking, not just reacting. Thanks.

Jason is no doubt considering the extent of his interest in pursuing 503 at all if it is still owned by PA given their proven inability to act as responsible stewards - I think their motivation is more based on local political appearance rather than genuine interest in good historic preservation. As such, it doesn't seem as if dealing with them will turn into something clear, rational (from a preservationists and operators perspective) or reliable in the long term. Smart money is playing the waiting game while continuing to work behind the scenes until the future becomes firmly defined, then either asking the donors to adapt to a new set of circumstances, or refunding everybody their donations based on what does develop.

I believe that’s a pretty square hit on the head of the ole nail right there. The City has a bad taste in its mouth over the subject and it may not go away as quickly as some would like. Be patient. Be ready.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next