It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another great railroad guy passes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:45 pm 

There is a small but persistent cadre of individuals in the world who are doing great things for rail preservation. These are the back yard enthusiasts engaged in preservation, typically funding themselves and their projects. Today I write about the passing of one such individual.

Jim Walsh wandered into the restoration shop at Nevada State Railroad Museum about 35 years ago and introduced himself. In the ensuing conversation with him he told me a most fantastic story. He said he and his son were hiking around the wilds of Alaska and came across a dilapidated building in the forest. Inside there was a complete locomotive. The next year after the snow melted he and his son went back looking for it.

Now this is where they say “but we couldn’t find it again”.

Instead he told me that they located the land owner and got permission to remove the locomotive. They then packed in wenches, hammers and torches. They took it apart, flew the pieces out with a logging helicopter to a waiting ship. The locomotive is now in Fallon Nevada, operational, and, by the way, he said, here are some photos of the frame and boiler hanging from the helicopter. His locomotive is “Seward”, a porter tank.

It is the best ending that I have ever heard to the lost locomotive story. Jim did a lot of amazing things in his life. He had an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and hard work. The best and most consistent thing he did was to be kind to everyone and to listen to people. He did his part for rail preservation and I for one will miss him very much.

I don’t currently have the image but am going to try and get a copy for posting.

Post subject: Re: Another great railroad guy passes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 pm 

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a link to this locomotives entry on steamlocomotive.info:
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1424

http://www.angelfire.com/va/GooseCreekRR/

Post subject: Re: Another great railroad guy passes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 pm 

I met Jim at one of the NSRM railfairs. May have been 2005, maybe earlier. We crossed paths again close to a decade later. He still new my name and the things we had talked about. The guy was sharp and he will be missed.