It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Davenport Locomotive, LeRoi engine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:13 am 

Well the good thing is the cast housing is still good I'm sure everything else could be made. Mounting a different pump internally would be a challenge. Was thinking of making an external belt driven pump. It would be fairly easy to plumb it. I would have to put safeties in place in the case of a broken belt or slipping belt. Low pressure kill switch. Also thought of a motor driven pump. The loco is all 12 volt, not sure if my charging system would keep up with a electric pump. Would be able to pre lube it though. I guess an original would just be the easiest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 pm 

I would thing the best thing to do would be repair what you have. Someone made it and put it together soak in in acatone and transmission fluid take it apart clean everything replace the bushings put in back together and try it out. I had to do that with and old Leroy pump engine years ago. Rings and bearings can be matched from off the shelf items any good engine rebuilder should be able to help you out there.
Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 am 

I'm sure the LeRoi rs1x was used in a bunch of stuff back in the day. Probably other heavy equipment or possibly military equipment. Hopefully I can come up with something.
Still trying to figure out the picture thing. I have pics of the pump as well as before and after of the loco.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm 

Found an old post from 2015 I think, about a LeRoi powered Locomotive on the Michigan southern. Supposedly inoperable due to a rod through the block. Anyone know of this?
I don't know anyone from there, have to do some digging.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

That train guy wrote:
Found an old post from 2015 I think, about a LeRoi powered Locomotive on the Michigan southern. Supposedly inoperable due to a rod through the block. Anyone know of this?
I don't know anyone from there, have to do some digging.

Does this locomotive fit the description of that unit?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4748736
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4748735

Last edited by NS 3322 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm 

I believe that one was originally a LeRoi later converted to diesel. I believe this loco was having torque converter issues so the post was somebody talking about converting it back to a LeRoi and it mentioned one they had out of service with a LeRoi engine. I don't think it was a Rypn post but it may have been.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:55 pm 

That train guy wrote:
I believe that one was originally a LeRoi later converted to diesel. I believe this loco was having torque converter issues so the post was somebody talking about converting it back to a LeRoi and it mentioned one they had out of service with a LeRoi engine. I don't think it was a Rypn post but it may have been.

They currently have only one locomotive in service (a 44 tonner).
There is a gentleman on here that posts a lot who volunteers with the SMRS.
His username is sousakerry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:51 pm 

That train guy wrote:
Still trying to figure out the picture thing. I have pics of the pump as well as before and after of the loco.

I am not the most savvy with photos either, but I know it is not possible to post photos directly onto the board. You can only insert a link to the place where they are already posted, either a website like rrpicturearchives.net or facebook, or an image hosting website like photobucket. So, perhaps create a facebook page for the unit (it is free) and then embed a link to the photo here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:08 pm 

Why is the pump locked up? The pump is the first in line for oil, even a little froth should keep it happy. If it was locked up I'd be worried about the rest of the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:52 pm 

PMC wrote:
That train guy wrote:

I am not the most savvy with photos either, but I know it is not possible to post photos directly onto the board. You can only insert a link to the place where they are already posted, either a website like rrpicturearchives.net or facebook, or an image hosting website like photobucket. So, perhaps create a facebook page for the unit (it is free) and then embed a link to the photo here.

PMC -

I manage to post photos directly to the board. As an example, here is a photo I took yesterday at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum.

Les

Attachments:
Fix it up, clean it up at Hoosier Valley 3-10-18 014.JPG
Fix it up, clean it up at Hoosier Valley 3-10-18 014.JPG [ 295.48 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:54 pm 

PMC wrote:
I am not the most savvy with photos either, but I know it is not possible to post photos directly onto the board.

You are incorrect Grasshopper, If you scroll down while posting you will see a "upload attachment" banner, below is a browse tab to select the image on your computer, and then click on "add the file", there is also a place to caption the photo.

I would suggest resizing the image down to under 800 pixels across before uploading.

-Hudson

Attachments:
File comment: CBQ 9735 at MTM <--- Caption
9735.jpg
9735.jpg [ 45.25 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the info.
The locomotive sat for possibly decades without ever being started. There was a stack cover on it and the engine wasn't seized when we got it. It barred over nicely. The clutch however was seized ( rusted ) to the flywheel. We tried breaking it loose by bumping the engine over with the starters while it was in gear. No luck freeing up the clutch.

The following summer we were getting ready to start It. While changing the oil water came out first but only a small amount. I know this can happen from sitting, condensation etc. Apparently while we were cranking it over to free up the clutch water had gotten into the pump. Probably froze over the winter and damaged everything. The pump gears were actually rusted together.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 pm 

If the pump is near the low point of the sump, water will gravitate to it. I think we all know the tan slimy stuff that shows lube oil that is truly contaminated with water. If that was absent and the rest of the engine is free, you are very fortunate and need only deal with the pump.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:46 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

PMC -

I manage to post photos directly to the board. As an example, here is a photo I took yesterday at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum.

Les

Les, I guess I should edit my statement to "It is not possible[for me] to post directly to the board", lol. It is the resizing thing that always gets me. PMC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:03 am 

PMC wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

PMC -

Les

Les, I guess I should edit my statement to "It is not possible[for me] to post directly to the board", lol. It is the resizing thing that always gets me. PMC

PMC -

When I take my digital photos and show them on my computer, they usually come back in the 3.00 MB range. I'm not sure what MB means, but I DO know that they are too large to post on RyPN. So I have to edit them, reducing them down to 350 KB max. At first, this took a little "tweaking" but I eventually learned how to do it. Once they photos are at the 350 KB max size (and I don't know what KB means either), I post them as Hudson explained above. One other thing I learned when posting. If you post more than one photo, they will come out in the REVERSE order. In other words, if you post a photo with a "problem" for instance and then post the "fix" photo, the "fix" will end up first, and the "problem" second. Something to remember.

Good luck in your efforts to try again!

Les